Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 27, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #26,536 of 42,759
 'we only recomend a full charge to insure every thing is fine' 

if the charger is constantly left connected as advised surely every time you finish listening and say come back some hours later the mojo will have fully charged again and will fully charge every time you are away from it for at least 4 hours? this was the only bit i did not understand. apart from that all is clear now just leave the mojo permanently connected to computer and charger no problem for desktop mode. assuming say you are at work from early till late and do not have the time to constantly check whether the charger is off or on so you leave it always on.

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #26,537 of 42,759
   'we only recomend a full charge to insure every thing is fine' 

if the charger is constantly left connected as advised surely every time you finish listening and say come back some hours later the mojo will have fully charged again and will fully charge every time you are away from it for at least 4 hours? this was the only bit i did not understand. apart from that all is clear now just leave the mojo permanently connected to computer and charger no problem for desktop mode. assuming say you are at work from early till late and do not have the time to constantly check whether the charger is off or on so you leave it always on.

Quote:
  If you fully charge Mojo then use it in a desktop it will not switch off; the power dissipation that the charger uses in matching the current drawn by Mojo is negligible. You are only at risk when charging and using at red - and indeed as Mython says putting Mojo on its side will solve that issue too.

Just to give you some numbers - fully charged and matching Mojo's current draw the power dissipation is 107 mW for the charger circuit. That will increase running temperature by less than 1 deg C. But at flashing red it is 910 mW for the power dissipation in the charger.

Now I could fix this by using a switcher based charger rather than a linear one - but these inject too much RF noise onto the battery. This would impair sound quality, and Mojo's design goals was that plugging in the charger would have no significant change in SQ - which would not happen if I used a switcher based charger. I am not prepared to damage SQ as to me this is the most important aspect just for a tiny improvement in usability.

Rob

Quote:
Mojo actually has three independant thermal cut outs a special high temperature battery and very sophisticated charging circuitry . Picking up on an earlier post Mojo actually does not dissipate a lot of heat when it's working. It's only about 1.7 watts and when it's charging it adds about another watt so its not much really. However the electronics and battery are thermally bonded to the aluminium case. The Mojo's case can only shed its heat through convection or by radiating it away. This can only work if there is a temperature differential between itself and its ambient surroundings if there is an insufficient gradient between them, the Mojos temperature will rise until there is a large enough difference to pass its heat to the air surrounding it.
If it is prevented from doing this perhaps by being insulated I some way it's temperature will rise until one of the three shut down trips operate. note the battery is safe to 150 degrees and the trips all operate up to a hundred degrees lower. Therefore it's perfectly safe. In fact if it's feeling mildly hot at first to your hand. Your hand alone will easily soon bring the unit down to a reasonable temperature.

What this means is:
  • if you connect your computer to the mojo, using both usb cables, then one is feeding the music signal, and one is charging the battery
  • if your mojo battery is virtually flat (ie red light) at this point, then the mojo will be consuming 1.7 watts of power to process the music, plus 0.91 watts of power to recharge the battery = approx 2.6 watts of power. Virtually all of this power is dissipated as heat, except for the small amount that is lost as sound in your headphones, or light from the balls. The result is that the mojo runs very warm/hot, and if the ambient air temperature is high, then the protective thermal shutdown circuit can operate.
  • if instead, your mojo battery is fully charged at this point, then the mojo will be consuming 1.7 watts of power to process the music, plus 0.107 watts of power to trickle charge the battery = approx 1.8 watts of power. Virtually all of this power is dissipated as heat, except for the small amount that is lost as sound in your headphones, or light from the balls. The result of this reduced power consumption is that the mojo instead runs just comfortably cool/warm, and there is no risk that the protective thermal shutdown circuit can operate.

So the chord advice is that if you want to charge and listen at the same time, then the best way to do that is to fully charge the battery first, and you will have no issues with the mojo running too hot.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #26,538 of 42,759
Thankyou to all members for the great and quick feedback MK.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #26,540 of 42,759
Hi guys,
I am about to purchase the project polaris for my he 560 and hd 650s. I would like to use the mojo as a dac in this case. How would i go about accomplishing this in terms of the connections and wires etc. i just have the stock mojo usb and apple cck lol. This will be my first amp so I a little short on info.
My source is iphone 6s plus in this case. I would appreciate it if you could advise me on which cables I should be getting on a budget.
Thanks

iPhone > CCK > stock Mojo USB cable > Mojo

Then, on the other end of Mojo, you'd need to insert a cable into one of the headphone sockets:

Then, obviously, the RCA plugs would go to your Project Polaris amplifiers RCA input sockets:

Please read post #3 carefully, and you will find information on how to set the output level of Mojo in order to feed an amplifier input (however, you might like to adjust Mojos output level a little lower, to begin with, until you find a Mojo output volume that suits your amplifier input the best).

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #26,541 of 42,759
Quick question for micro USB OTG cables.. i want to have one made custom for connecting my Note - what lentgh would be the best from your experience? 10 cm, 7 cm? Also straight connectors or L shaped?

Generally-speaking, it is best to get L-shaped plugs, since they are likely to exert less stress upon Mojos microUSB input socket, when the cable rubs in your bag or pocket, as it inevitably will.

7cm should be sufficient, provided your Note microUSB socket is situated very close to Mojos microUSB socket, when Mojo is stacked to your Note. If it's not very close, then perhaps 10cm might suit you better.  However, if you can, then 7cm would be the nicest option, as it is less likely to snag against your bag or pocket.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #26,542 of 42,759
Monoprice has the USB-C cable that allows Mojo to connect to the USB-C port on the Nexus and the HTC 10.

I will look into this, thanks...

Quote:
Has anyone managed to source a USB c to USB b micro cable that lets you connect a Nexus 6P to Mojo?

I checked the 3rd post but nothing there on USB c. I have a USB c otg adaptor but that doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

Thanks,

Pete

Sorry about the lack of USB C cables in post #3. I am aware that there is an increasing need for such cables, but the reason I haven't yet added any is because I haven't seen many, and the few that I have seen don't look to be high-quality.

I am always watching this thread to see new posts of useful accessories, and I regularly add new info to post #3. Therefore, if anyone reading this knows of some short USBc to microUSB cables that are decent quality, I'll be happy to add them to post #3
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #26,543 of 42,759
Quick question for micro USB OTG cables.. i want to have one made custom for connecting my Note - what lenght would be the best from your experience? 10 cm, 7 cm? Also straight connectors or L shaped?

I used the 10cm long cable that originally came with my oppo ha-2, however that does have straight plugs.
If i buy a new cable I will follow @Mython  advice and get one with L shaped (usually called right-angled plugs on this thread) plugs.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #26,544 of 42,759
Sorry about the lack of USB C cables in post #3. I am aware that there is an increasing need for such cables, but the reason I haven't yet added any is because I haven't seen many, and the few that I have seen don't look to be high-quality.

I am always watching this thread to see new posts of useful accessories, and I regularly add new info to post #3. Therefore, if anyone reading this knows of some short USBc to microUSB cables that are decent quality, I'll be happy to add them to post #3 :beerchug:  

No worries at all Mython. It's early days in the USB c world!

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #26,545 of 42,759

I am always watching this thread to see new posts of useful accessories, and I regularly add new info to post #3. Therefore, if anyone reading this knows of some short USBc to microUSB cables that are decent quality, I'll be happy to add them to post #3
beerchug.gif

No worries at all Mython. It's early days in the USB c world!

I've just asked Mimouille what cable he's using with his Mojo-M1 stack, and I'll let you know what he says.

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #26,546 of 42,759

.................I got back my Larvricable and it now works with the updated iOS.  

Hi Peter, could you elaborate on what was actually done to make this cable now work? I am asking because what stops the cable from being no good with future iOS updates?
Mine works, then it doesn't after an update, then it does, etc, etc, so what stops this 'new' version from the same fate?

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #26,548 of 42,759
Guys need a little help
Just bought mojo connected with Mac book pro late 12 but when I listen to 256kHz dsf hi res download from retail site sometimes music stutter or goes down for second tryed change cable same problem also with smartphone s7 same essue
Any advice please

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #26,549 of 42,759

Just to close the loop, I received ZY Cables' Lightning to MicroUSB cable yesterday (along w/ AQ Nighthawks! :)). Purchased here. So far, no issues on iPhone 7+ 128GB running iOS 10.1.1. Sample rate reflected correctly on Mojo when playing high-res from Onkyo HF, NePlayer and HibyMusic. Seems to work well (have been running in Airplane mode so don't know about RF rejection). Will see what happens with the next iOS update... Thanks all.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #26,550 of 42,759

Just to close the loop, I received ZY Cables' Lightning to MicroUSB cable yesterday (along w/ AQ Nighthawks! :)). Purchased here. So far, no issues on iPhone 7+ 128GB running iOS 10.1.1. Sample rate reflected correctly on Mojo when playing high-res from Onkyo HF, NePlayer and HibyMusic. Seems to work well (have been running in Airplane mode so don't know about RF rejection). Will see what happens with the next iOS update... Thanks all.

Thanks for reporting your findings.

That cable looks identical to the Hi-Fi Spot cable, so perhaps they are being wholesaled to a number of different vendors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back