Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 24, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #26,374 of 42,765
Nov 24, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #26,376 of 42,765

I just received Mojo. I use it in my desktop audio system connected by SPDIF cable to Cary 303 CD player. I don’t like Mojo sound out of box. It is dry, scratchy, too digital. It is not smooth, hot, analog and musical. The resolution is not in the level as I expected. After 30 hours, of break-in sound has improved a little. So, I hope that a long break-in should help. How much time take Mojo break-in?

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #26,377 of 42,765

I'm sorry you are disappointed by the standard case not accommodating the add-on module; it definitely isn't Chord's intention to mislead anyone into believing that the standard case will accommodate the module.

I definitely don't think that Chord intentionally mislead anyone, it was my bad for not doing more research before buying the case.  That being said, it never occurred to me to check the FAQ or other source to research a case...... if I were buying a cable or something like that I would, but for an OEM case it seemed like a no-brainer. 
confused_face_2.gif

I guess there are no no-brainers when dealing with a product evolving as quickly as the Mojo!

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #26,378 of 42,765

I just received Mojo. I use it in my desktop audio system connected by SPDIF cable to Cary 303 CD player. I don’t like Mojo sound out of box. It is dry, scratchy, too digital. It is not smooth, hot, analog and musical. The resolution is not in the level as I expected. After 30 hours, of break-in sound has improved a little. So, I hope that a long break-in should help. How much time take Mojo break-in?

Funny, OOTB my early production Mojo sounded too smooth, too analog and too soft and too much bass bloom to sound musical lol. After warming them up for a bit, they opened up and now sounding very dynamic with a bit more prominent treble while sounding smooth without being dry, harsh nor digital at all.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #26,379 of 42,765

Hmmm. If the sound is dry, digital, and hard sounding I suspect it's the spidif output of your Cary cd player. I have played around with different toslink sources and definitely hear differences among them. Even though Mojo is good at rejecting jitter internally , it is best to have a clean low jitter source. Lucky for you, there are gadgets that can solve this problem by reclocking and regenerating the signal.

One of these devices is the Ifi spidif ipurifier. It is very affordable at just $150 and will make Mojo sound more fluid and musical.

https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-iPurifier-Digital-Optical-Filter/dp/B01KKFTM5S

Another one is the Wyred 4 Remedy. This one has many great reviews and is used by many people on these forums including some mojo owners.

Although I will add that since the device upsamples the data to 96kHz before sending it off to Mojo, it is not bit-perfect. Rob Watts doesn't recommend it.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/remedy-reclocker

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #26,380 of 42,765
Why iFi iDSD Micro sounds smooth and musical in the same setup?
The only difference are adapters from 3.5mm to RCA.
For analog output I use good quality Audioquest adapter and for SPDIF this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003GYUI04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #26,381 of 42,765
Have you tried scanning it? I'm thinking it either sends you to the product registration page and or the official CHORDMOJO.COM homepage.

I tried scanning it but the QR is too small. It seems a little blocky to be a valid QR.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #26,384 of 42,765

I didn't hear any burn in, others swear over a couple hundred hours. My thoughts are your brain gets used to the subtleties the Mojo presents. What headphones are you using? Also, please identify which if the S/PDIF interfaces you are using, coaxial or optical.

Hmmm. If the sound is dry, digital, and hard sounding I suspect it's the spidif output of your Cary cd player. I have played around with different toslink sources and definitely hear differences among them. Even though Mojo is good at rejecting jitter internally , it is best to have a clean low jitter source. Lucky for you, there are gadgets that can solve this problem by reclocking and regenerating the signal.

One of these devices is the Ifi spidif ipurifier. It is very affordable at just $150 and will make Mojo sound more fluid and musical.

https://www.amazon.com/SPDIF-iPurifier-Digital-Optical-Filter/dp/B01KKFTM5S

Another one is the Wyred 4 Remedy. This one has many great reviews and is used by many people on these forums including some mojo owners.

Although I will add that since the device upsamples the data to 96kHz before sending it off to Mojo, it is not bit-perfect. Rob Watts doesn't recommend it.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/remedy-reclocker

Rob has pointed out that it isn't jitter with his DACs. He has said a wet string could almost be used as far as jitter is concerned. As he's pointed out many times it's likely that there is RF noise getting in to the system and modulating the noise floor causing a hardness to the sound.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #26,385 of 42,765
I really wonder why there is now a QR code thingie between the two headphone outputs. I am glad that my Mojo that I bought a little over three months ago (right after Amazon Germany finally got the Mojo in stock for the very first time) doesn't have it yet.

It would be nice if any of the Chord Electronics representatives could shed some light on why there is now this laser engraving between the headphone ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back