Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 23, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #26,311 of 42,765
Originally Posted by willowbrook /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I guess it's just like a phone using battery as main source while charger charges the battery constantly.

I've edited my previous reply to you (which I've reflected, in the quoted text you see below this sentence) , so please refer to that (I was editing it, and updating posts #2 and #3, whilst you were posting your reply, so, sorry, I was unaware)

So I want to charge and play at the same time without using battery like a desktop dac/amp. I do not want to use the battery and let the mojo draw current only from the power supply. Does it matter if I plug the power source before turning it on or plugging it in after turning it on?

You cannot completely avoid using Mojos battery. As John Franks has remarked, there is a slight net drain on the battery, even whilst plugged-in.

Please see the discussion in the section of post #3, entitled  'Battery & Charging'  /  'What happens when you charge & listen at the same time?'

Also, Rob has been good enough to provide me with additional detail on this matter, today (which I am also adding to the above section in post #3, but will share here):

Originally Posted by Rob Watts

the battery is always connected - but - when the charger is on, and the battery is fully charged, then the trickle charge is balanced by the current that the amp needs, so no nett charge going into the battery - its just going from the charger to the amp... The battery is still providing a low impedance, and dynamic surge currents though, but the average DC current is just matched by the charger.

Rob 

Thanks for clarifying, Rob.

Quote:

Thanks, so basically turn the mojo on and then plug in = trickle charge mode = no timer.

I think that would depend on what charge state Mojo is in to begin with. If Mojo was already fully-charged, then yes, provided I am understanding your meaning correctly.

Quote:

I don't know if draining battery completely-->charging or trickle charging is better.

Lithium batteries are rather contentious, in terms of how people say they should be used, but not all lithium batteries use the same chemistry (other than the lithium component), so not all lithium batteries necessarily behave in the same way, or need to be used in the same way.

Personally, I would have no concerns about using Mojo plugged-in, whilst in a fully-charged state, on a regular basis.

Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

Also see the sub-heading 'Is it alright to leave Mojo plugged in, 24-7?', in the 'Battery & Charging' section, near the bottom of post #3

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #26,314 of 42,765

I've edited my previous reply to you (which I've reflected, in the quoted text you see below this sentence) , so please refer to that (I was editing it, and updating posts #2 and #3, whilst you were posting your reply, so, sorry, I was unaware)

I think that would depend on what charge state Mojo is in to begin with. If Mojo was already fully-charged, then yes, provided I am understanding your meaning correctly.

Lithium batteries are rather contentious, in terms of how people say they should be used, but not all lithium batteries use the same chemistry (other than the lithium component), so not all lithium batteries necessarily behave in the same way, or need to be used in the same way.

Personally, I would have no concerns about using Mojo plugged-in, whilst in a fully-charged state, on a regular basis.

Also see the sub-heading 'Is it alright to leave Mojo plugged in, 24-7?', in the 'Battery & Charging' section, near the bottom of post #3

Thanks. I turned my mojo off while in full charge state and the white light disappeared, but I am guessing mojo is still drawing a little bit of current to keep it fully charged. I will turn it on tomorrow and see if it will start charging. If not, I'll just have to replug it everytime I guess.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #26,316 of 42,765
Nov 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #26,317 of 42,765

​"Is that a Mojo in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

-- A friendly woman

You Guys are going to get us all into trouble - with our wife's! 
eek.gif

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #26,319 of 42,765
I am confused by one aspect of the whole Mojo battery charging thing, and I have read all the posts.

What confuses me is that there is only one set of wires connecting the battery to the Mojo circuit board. (Or only one set that I have seen.) I think that must mean something no-one has mentioned that when the Mojo is plugged in and playing at the same time. At some points in time the Mojo must be taking power to play music straight from the charger.

Meaning when the battery level drops a little and the charger is engaged. The charger is supplying more power than the battery is supplying to the Mojo. To make sure the Mojo keeps playing and tops up the battery.

However I keep reading that the Mojo only takes power from the battery. How can that be right? I can't imagine how the charger is supplying power to the battery going up the battery cable. While at the same time power is coming down the charger cable to run the Mojo.

I guess I must be seeing this all wrong. I have tried to imagine it with diodes in place but still can't figure it out.

Maybe I just don't understand the battery. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #26,320 of 42,765

What confuses me is that there is only one set of wires connecting the battery to the Mojo circuit board. (Or only one set that I have seen.) I think that must mean something no-one has mentioned that when the Mojo is plugged in and playing at the same time.

At some points in time the Mojo must be taking power to play music straight from the charger.

Meaning when the battery level drops a little and the charger is engaged. The charger is supplying more power than the battery is supplying to the Mojo. To make sure the Mojo keeps playing and tops up the battery.

However I keep reading that the Mojo only takes power from the battery. How can that be right? I can imagine how the charger is supplying power to the battery going up the charger cable. While at the same time power is coming down the charger cable to run the Mojo.

Did you see what I posted, earlier (on this same page), from Rob?:

Originally Posted by Rob Watts

the battery is always connected - but - when the charger is on, and the battery is fully charged, then the trickle charge is balanced by the current that the amp needs, so no nett charge going into the battery - its just going from the charger to the amp... The battery is still providing a low impedance, and dynamic surge currents though, but the average DC current is just matched by the charger.

Rob 

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #26,321 of 42,765
Yes of course @Mython. However it doesn't describe what state the Mojo is in does it? Playing, off, on but not playing.

He is talking about when there is no net charge on the battery. I am talking about when the battery level has dropped and when it needs a bit of charge. (While charging and playing, from a full battery.)

To be honest though I have probably over looked a simple principle of electronics and should know better.

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #26,322 of 42,765
  Yes of course @Mython. However it doesn't describe what state the Mojo is in does it? Playing, off, on but not playing.

He is talking about when there is no net charge on the battery. I am talking about when the battery level has dropped and when it needs a bit of charge. (While charging and playing, from a full battery.)

To be honest though I have probably over looked a simple principle of electronics and should know better.

I can see what you mean.       Rather than speculate, I will let Rob answer your query, when he has time, but that probably won't be today, as he has his hands full, at the moment.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #26,323 of 42,765
@warrior1975

Thank you, Yes as awesome it feels and I might say Stacking doesnt matter, practicality and portability of the same on a daily basis might be a big pain. I wont deny what you said. Just the world of DAP is equally confusing. :D , dont think I can buy new device every other year, thus want to be future proof.

There are lots of great daps out now. My current favorite is the Cowon P1. You can find then for $699 now and it's my favorite player. Has plenty of power, excellent sound, eq, dsp, etc. I think the sound is comparable with the Mojo.

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #26,324 of 42,765

I can see what you mean.       Rather than speculate, I will let Rob answer your query, when he has time, but that probably won't be today, as he has his hands full, at the moment.

Now you have us all intrigued as to what he may have in his hands today? 
blink.gif

The other speculation however is now over - as I confidently predict that power is consumed when the unit is on whether it is playing or not but it will automatically detects when the battery needs to be charged again, including when it is switched off. (but having said it confidentially, I may be wrong
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back