Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 22, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #26,206 of 42,759
Morning gents. I've recently got back in the game and ordered a Mojo and HD-650 in the hope of finding a very straightforward endgame setup for me. I used to have a BH Crack with all the trimmings and the Senns sounded immense through that. I was prepared for a downgrade but given it's been a few years since I've listened to a quality setup, I did expect more than what I've got.

In short, I find that the Senns sound almost identical direct from my laptop/Samsung S7 as they do via the Mojo. I've searched for comments about the pairing but I've seen very little. Have I opted for a poor pairing here? To my ears, the difference is negligible, equivalent to confirmation bias, and the sound is quite thin and recessed, whereas through my cheapo IEMs, the difference is night and day, and arguably sounds better.

Have I messed up with the choice of headphones? Thanks.

Sorry to break your ice, Sennheiser HD650 ain't a endgame headphone, there are many great headphones out there that surpassed this aging headphone that is more than 20 years. This headphone shows it age.
Mojo is great no doubt but it had no match compared with Hugo which have more depth and transparency. I have both Mojo and Hugo and I find Hugo to be very much superior compared to Mojo.

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #26,207 of 42,759
Sorry to break your ice, Sennheiser HD650 ain't a endgame headphone, there are many great headphones out there that surpassed this aging headphone that is more than 20 years. This headphone shows it age.
Mojo is great no doubt but it had no match compared with Hugo which have more depth and transparency. I have both Mojo and Hugo and I find Hugo to be very much superior compared to Mojo.
There is no such thing as "end game" especially if you are reading about new things.

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #26,208 of 42,759
There is no such thing as "end game" especially if you are reading about new things.

True to certain extent but my opinion stays true as well.

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #26,209 of 42,759
After ordering the mojo from Amazon.de using only google translate to browse through the thick German waves, I realized that I can change Amazon.de's language to English. :|

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #26,211 of 42,759
I have a question. How would the warranty work here in the states?

I would probably have to contact Chord USA. They should offer warranty on their products. Besides, unless the mojo doesn't work out of box perfectly, there's actually very few reasons to consider warranty. Warranty actually covers very little if you read the fine details.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #26,212 of 42,759
Morning gents. I've recently got back in the game and ordered a Mojo and HD-650 in the hope of finding a very straightforward endgame setup for me. I used to have a BH Crack with all the trimmings and the Senns sounded immense through that. I was prepared for a downgrade but given it's been a few years since I've listened to a quality setup, I did expect more than what I've got.

In short, I find that the Senns sound almost identical direct from my laptop/Samsung S7 as they do via the Mojo. I've searched for comments about the pairing but I've seen very little. Have I opted for a poor pairing here? To my ears, the difference is negligible, equivalent to confirmation bias, and the sound is quite thin and recessed, whereas through my cheapo IEMs, the difference is night and day, and arguably sounds better.

Have I messed up with the choice of headphones? Thanks.

There seem to be a disagreement whether Mojo is able to drive the 650s to their full potential. On paper it does, but comments show, not everyone agrees. (There might be some confusion between coloration by an amp and driving headphones to their full potential though.)
Unfortunately I have not tried the 650s with Mojo, so I can not comment on this. I found Mojo absolutely brilliant with everything so far, although have not tried it with 300Ω+ headphones.

Everything can be endgame and nothing really is endgame. Who are we to decide where the journey ends for others? :)
I am not sure, you surprise anyone saying £1400 Hugo sounds better than £399 Mojo.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #26,213 of 42,759
If it wasn't clear, I meant 'endgame' subjectively, for me. I want something 'good enough' for the rare occasions I get to sit down and listen to music. If it's not a subjective term, I don't see that 'endgame' means anything at all.

BH Crack with HD-650 was endgame for me but a new baby and changes to living arrangements meant I sold them as they got no use. A couple of years down the line, I'm looking for something convenient but quality to replace that setup. The HD-650 scale extremely well with the right amping but my impression is that the Mojo barely pushes them above the standard line out.

Thanks for the replies, gents. Anyone got any good recommendations then for a laid back musical sig? HD-800 or am I flogging a dead horse with the Senns?

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #26,214 of 42,759
If it wasn't clear, I meant 'endgame' subjectively, for me. I want something 'good enough' for the rare occasions I get to sit down and listen to music. If it's not a subjective term, I don't see that 'endgame' means anything at all.

BH Crack with HD-650 was endgame for me but a new baby and changes to living arrangements meant I sold them as they got no use. A couple of years down the line, I'm looking for something convenient but quality to replace that setup. The HD-650 scale extremely well with the right amping but my impression is that the Mojo barely pushes them above the standard line out.

Thanks for the replies, gents. Anyone got any good recommendations then for a laid back musical sig? HD-800 or am I flogging a dead horse with the Senns?

AQ Nighthawk ?

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #26,215 of 42,759
There seem to be a disagreement whether Mojo is able to drive the 650s to their full potential. On paper it does, but comments show, not everyone agrees. (There might be some confusion between coloration by an amp and driving headphones to their full potential though.)

Unfortunately I have not tried the 650s with Mojo, so I can not comment on this. I found Mojo absolutely brilliant with everything so far, although have not tried it with 300Ω+ headphones.

Everything can be endgame and nothing really is endgame. Who are we to decide where the journey ends for others? :)

I am not sure, you surprise anyone saying £1400 Hugo sounds better than £399 Mojo.

He was mentioning "endgame" rig here, therefore I'm saying Mojo is still not the best yet for portables, Hugo still tops.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #26,216 of 42,759
He was mentioning "endgame" rig here, therefore I'm saying Mojo is still not the best yet for portables, Hugo still tops.

All I said was endgame means something else for everyone. For you it seems to be Hugo. There is no ultimate or objective endgame. Some people also prefer Mojo to Hugo, so even price becomes relatively irrelevant after a certain point.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #26,217 of 42,759

.... I have often heard people refer to The Official Mojo Thread, on other websites. They may google for it and not be able to find it now.

Hmmm... now you are putting me in a quandry...

I definitely wouldn't wish to confuse international customers searching for the thread....

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #26,218 of 42,759

I would probably have to contact Chord USA. They should offer warranty on their products. Besides, unless the mojo doesn't work out of box perfectly, there's actually very few reasons to consider warranty. Warranty actually covers very little if you read the fine details.

If you order a Mojo from outside the USA (in your example, Germany), then, in the event of a warranty issue, you would need to return it to Germany, at your own expense. A USA dealer would not be liable to fulfil the warranty unless it was originally purchased in the USA.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #26,219 of 42,759
Luckily the Mojo fits in a small flat rate box so even if you have to pay shipping to Europe and back, that's no more than $50-60 both ways, even with registered shipping included. so at ~430 USD you're still getting a good deal if you have to send it back once for warranty... not like shipping in the usa for warranty is free. But int'l shipping is a pain.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #26,220 of 42,759

Your contract is with your dealer (who should be your first contact), who presumably is also in germany.
So if a return was required, you would have to return your Mojo to germany.

It is a PITA, but that is one downside of buying anything internationally, in order to save on the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back