Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 13, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #22,636 of 42,765
yesterday listened to mojo through Uapp with bit perfect option enabled . with this option sound becomes smoother . even a cheap android with Uapp bit perfect option enabled can rival expensive transport.

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #22,637 of 42,765
yesterday listened to mojo through Uapp with bit perfect option enabled . with this option sound becomes smoother . even a cheap android with Uapp bit perfect option enabled can rival expensive transport.
Bit perfect even a multitude of music player apps sounds better than any Dap (AK120II,240,300,380 , LPG, N6, N5 , DX90 ,DX80, X3 ,X5 ,X5II).

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #22,638 of 42,765

I don't know who your tech is..... but the truthful answer is it varies from laptop to laptop.

For example all your Apple branded laptops max out at 500mA but might be able to push 1A if if it detects an iPad or something else with Apple trickery.

On non-Apple laptops, at least on Thinkpads and other IBM/Lenovo laptops, you will notice one USB port is yellow where the rest are normal. The yellow ports are the high power ones, aka the ones that can push 1A of 5V. The rest max out at 500mA.

If your laptop does not have an advertised high power port, and the specificationsmention nothing of the sort, i would assume they are all 500mA like normal.

Personally I only use thinkpads and I have models from early as 2007 which implement the yellow colored high-power USB port and have never had an issue getting 1A power from them.

Thanks Vapman.  I have an old pc laptop that needs retiring and that is the reason for my search for a new one, to marry to a MOJO when I procure one.  Query:  other than a laptop for the purposes of an interface to choose music files, are there other options that I could be overlooking that could meet this need?  I know that there are tablets but they have limited sockets and I'm not looking for wireless.  
p.s. this is to hook-up to a 2 channel amp passive speaker listening system.  Thanks.

You could build pi-based music servers, since you're mostly using it in a home setup.

http://www.tested.com/tech/521750-how-i-turned-raspberry-pi-2-audiophile-music-player/
http://www.musicservertips.com/how-to-articles/raspberry-pi-music-server/

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #22,639 of 42,765
I would say make it an Odroid instead of a Pi :)
Especially if you plan to use it in you're home network, since Odroid has separate bus for Ethernet and USB.

CHEERS

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #22,640 of 42,765
Thanks Green Bow and Mathi8vadhanan for those novel ideas. 

Right now I'm having a difficult time trying to decide between a MOJO for my home set-up or the Bimby.  Some are having a difficult time with the Bimby drivers, as I've read from a couple of posters.  Some are having noise issues with there computers and many are having to work around other issues.  The MOJO has a one year warranty.  Some have had problems with their unit and have gotten sour.  I'd hate to come to the 14 month or so and find out that my $900.00 cdn including the 13% tax investment had evaporated because the piece decided to get a case of cadaveritis.   Whereas the Bimby has a 5 year warranty which has its benifits for someone whose wallet is light.  I have to factor in specially selected cords for the MOJO.  Some have had lose connections with their USB into MOJO having signal drop out.  There are a lot of considerations.

At first I was just looking for a simple DAC such as the Arcam.  But, when I heard of the sonic superiority of the MOJO and Bimby, how could I turn my back on them.  So, I will have to work around some of the issues that will present themselves if I want to experience superior sound.  I'm just trying to anticipate the difficulties a green horn might experience. To someone who is new to the computer listening field it can be overwhelming to the mind and it appears the bank account.  When I read the posts of the advanced participants here (which to me is everyone else), my eyes go glassy and my legs stiffen out in front of me. 

So, as it stands, I have to weigh some things that will tip the balance to either the Bimby or the MOJO.  Once that is decided I can move on.

End of soliloquy.

If after reading this, anyone who has a bone that they can throw me (please, just don't let it hurt too much lol) I'd be grateful.  I'm a grasshopper amongst nephilium.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #22,641 of 42,765
If you value portability, the Mojo is phenomenal - and this is with the
supplied microusb cable (and a CCK for my ios devices). Listened for hours a day
for a month now.....if anything I like it even more... just as enthusiastic as ever about its superb sound.

Having said this, synergy is important...both my hp's have good bass weight, which is important as the Mojo's
tonal mass and weight is good but benefits from hp's with good bass response and weight. So an audition
with your own equipment is recommended.

Again, special USB cable not necessary with Mojo.

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #22,642 of 42,765
If you value portability, the Mojo is phenomenal - and this is with the
supplied microusb cable (and a CCK for my ios devices). Listened for hours a day
for a month now.....if anything I like it even more... just as enthusiastic as ever about its superb sound.

Having said this, synergy is important...both my hp's have good bass weight, which is important as the Mojo's
tonal mass and weight is good but benefits from hp's with good bass response and weight. So an audition
with your own equipment is recommended.

Again, special USB cable not necessary with Mojo.

Thanks Headfry:

I would be looking for Mojo to fit into my 2 channel amp listening home system with passive speakers and no headphones and no need for portability.  I know the Mojo is marketed for mobility, but since I heard such good things about it and that it can be incorporated into a home system, I've been all ears.  I'm hearing that the Mojo doesn't have a lot of bottom wieght as you mention and it's tonal mass might not be it's strong suit with passives - others would know better than me.  But I'm wondering how it would do with my new Monitor Audio Bronze 2's - they are a little warm with a sweet tweet. 

It's a far ways for me to audition, so I'd just have to chance it.   I'm also wondering if the Bimby would offer as you say more tonal mass and weight vs. the MOJO with passives.

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #22,643 of 42,765
Shameless promo:
Heads up I have sold my Mojo and have a Penon decoding cable in the FS forum for $80 shipped. I pd $129 and it's basically brand new.
The cable uses an original chip from the Apple CCK.

EDIT: decided to keep this, who knows, may need it again some day.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #22,644 of 42,765
  Thanks Green Bow and Mathi8vadhanan for those novel ideas. 

Right now I'm having a difficult time trying to decide between a MOJO for my home set-up or the Bimby.  Some are having a difficult time with the Bimby drivers, as I've read from a couple of posters.  Some are having noise issues with there computers and many are having to work around other issues.  The MOJO has a one year warranty.  Some have had problems with their unit and have gotten sour.  I'd hate to come to the 14 month or so and find out that my $900.00 cdn including the 13% tax investment had evaporated because the piece decided to get a case of cadaveritis.   Whereas the Bimby has a 5 year warranty which has its benifits for someone whose wallet is light.  I have to factor in specially selected cords for the MOJO.  Some have had lose connections with their USB into MOJO having signal drop out.  There are a lot of considerations.

At first I was just looking for a simple DAC such as the Arcam.  But, when I heard of the sonic superiority of the MOJO and Bimby, how could I turn my back on them.  So, I will have to work around some of the issues that will present themselves if I want to experience superior sound.  I'm just trying to anticipate the difficulties a green horn might experience. To someone who is new to the computer listening field it can be overwhelming to the mind and it appears the bank account.  When I read the posts of the advanced participants here (which to me is everyone else), my eyes go glassy and my legs stiffen out in front of me. 

So, as it stands, I have to weigh some things that will tip the balance to either the Bimby or the MOJO.  Once that is decided I can move on.

End of soliloquy.

If after reading this, anyone who has a bone that they can throw me (please, just don't let it hurt too much lol) I'd be grateful.  I'm a grasshopper amongst nephilium.

Thanks.

Personally, from memory I consider Mojo to be better than Yggy from a technical perspective. It has a clearer sound, better treble detail and it sounds more dynamic. 

On the other hand yggy sounds more analogical and smoother overall.

I am quite skeptical than bimby can beat mojo, at least from a technical perspective, if you take out the personal preferences regarding the sound signature.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #22,645 of 42,765
  Shameless promo:
Heads up I have sold my Mojo and have a Penon decoding cable in the FS forum for $80 shipped. I pd $129 and it's basically brand new.
The cable uses an original chip from the Apple CCK.

Hello Shameless:  I will keep that cable in mind for sure.  Does it fit nice and snug into the MoJo?  If you don't mind me asking, why did you part with your mojo and what replaced it?  All this kind of info helps me decide.  Thanks

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #22,646 of 42,765
  Personally, from memory I consider Mojo to be better than Yggy from a technical perspective. It has a clearer sound, better treble detail and it sounds more dynamic. 

On the other hand yggy sounds more analogical and smoother overall.

I am quite skeptical than bimby can beat mojo, at least from a technical perspective, if you take out the personal preferences regarding the sound signature.

Thank you Dan:

I've heard (rightly or wrongly) that it does not deliver a good bottom end.  Is this were you have to match it up to speakers and amp that will deliver that characteristic?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #22,647 of 42,765

Hello Shameless:  I will keep that cable in mind for sure.  Does it fit nice and snug into the MoJo?  If you don't mind me asking, why did you part with your mojo and what replaced it?  All this kind of info helps me decide.  Thanks

It fits extremely snug, it was able to hang the Mojo from it by holding only the phone. I know but it was only a test.

I sold Mojo because I don't need it at home and it's too cumbersome for me at work, honestly I was having trouble resolving any difference to my iPhone 6S with ie800.
I probably shouldn't admit that here but there you have it.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #22,649 of 42,765
Please don't bash me, I am not trying to bash the Mojo. 
It's a very nice unit, it just isn't going to get used.
Ok let's just say I sold it and leave it at that.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #22,650 of 42,765
  Please don't bash me, I am not trying to bash the Mojo. 
It's a very nice unit, it just isn't going to get used.
Ok let's just say I sold it and leave it at that.

It's sad that you didn't hear the differences what can I say... This is also great news for you. You can save some good money with this hobby :p

Thank you Dan:

I've heard (rightly or wrongly) that it does not deliver a good bottom end.  Is this were you have to match it up to speakers and amp that will deliver that characteristic?

The bass is just fine, especially if the amp/headphones/speakers can actually do bass. It's more on the neutral side even if let's say a liiiitle bit warm. But I didn't find it lacking in this area, no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back