Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #20,941 of 42,759
  The thing is, people who look for used entry to mid-range gear usually don't have a lot of money and often have to scrap together just enough to buy an item. So for them a $50-100 discount is totally worth it. Not only that but if you buy a used Valhalla 2 for $300 and you feel like selling it in a few months, you can sell it for about as much as you bought it since you bought it used.  

My issue is with the sellers, not the buyers ... but all the more reason for them not to entertain such high prices for used gear.

Each to their own though ... I have no issue with people trying to get as much as they can out of their items - just my perspective is that used items need to be a significant discount to be worth bothering with.  And selling used items at, or for more than new, prices is just silly.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #20,942 of 42,759
[/IMG][/IMG]

I agree that selling used item at or for more than new is silly. I will say though that sellers who take care of their item(s) properly, or (like myself) with excessive care, can sell their item at maybe 15-25% off of MSRP.

For instance when not in use my Mojo I always keep any port properly covered, is always in A/C, around no smoke/pets, is never charged unless the battery dies, and is kept in an water/shock proof container when not in use. I wouldn't sell my "used" Mojo for a discount greater than 10% off. That is just me though. I know others do not care for their items like I do so I would advise anyone seeking user items to ask the appropriate questions about the history of said item.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #20,943 of 42,759
Quote:
[IMG][attach]1689013[/attach][/quote]
[/spoiler]
[quote]
I agree that selling used item at or for more than new is silly. I will say though that sellers who take care of their item(s) properly, or (like myself) with excessive care, can sell their item at maybe 15-25% off of MSRP.

For instance when not in use my Mojo I always keep any port properly covered, is always in A/C, around no smoke/pets, is never charged unless the battery dies, and is kept in an water/shock proof container when not in use. I wouldn't sell my "used" Mojo for a discount greater than 10% off. That is just me though. I know others do not care for their items like I do so I would advise anyone seeking user items to ask the appropriate questions about the history of said item.[/quote]

You shouldn't allow your battery to completely die before charging.  It's not good for Lipo batteries.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #20,944 of 42,759
My issue is with the sellers, not the buyers ... but all the more reason for them not to entertain such high prices for used gear.

Each to their own though ... I have no issue with people trying to get as much as they can out of their items - just my perspective is that used items need to be a significant discount to be worth bothering with.  And selling used items at, or for more than new, prices is just silly.

You shouldn't allow your battery to completely die before charging.  It's not good for Lipo batteries.

Thanks for the info.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #20,945 of 42,759

Yes, I've experimented quite a bit with this. The closest I got the Mojo to sound like the Hugo was this setting on my FiiO X5 II:

1 kHz: +0.2  /  2 kHz: +0.2  /  4 kHz: +0.4  /  8 kHz: +0.4  /  16 kHz: + 0.4 dB        (I can imagine that something like +0.3 dB at 8 kHz and/or +0.5 dB at 16 kHz would be optimal, but the X5 II only allows 0.2 dB steps.)

But if your basis is a flat equalizer setting, I would rather take the negative route:

31 Hz: –0.4  /  62 Hz: –0.4  /  125 Hz: –0.4  /  250 Hz: –0.4  /  500 Hz: –0.4  /  1 kHz: –0.2  /  2 kHz: –0.2 dB

I've just tried it again. With this setting for the Mojo both sound almost indistinguishable to my ears. Not exactly, but it's very close. – BTW, I used a custom preset designed specifically for my (modified) HD 800 and shifted the single bands accordingly.

Yeah, why just compensate for the Mojo's deviation from a supposedly ideal tonal balance? While you're at it, you could just as well equalize your headphones' much larger deviation from a straight line. I guarantee you that it will pay off. Admittedly it's not easy. It's good to have a frequency-response graph at hand, ideally several ones from different sources, and even then unfortunately the high-frequency responses (above 4 kHz at the latest) can't be translated one-to-one, since the measuring array itself will disturb the measurement.

Thanks for posting this. Perversely I would like my Hugo to sound more like my Mojo. Do you have any tips?

Ian

I would try it with reversed values – it should also work the other way around.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #20,946 of 42,759
I'm in the US and I'm considering buying a Mojo from Amazon UK due to the favorable dollar to pound exchange rate and no VAT.

Is Amazon UK an authorized dealer and would the 12 month warranty be honored by Chord?

The Mojo listing I'm looking at is shipped and sold by Amazon UK by the way... not a 3rd party seller.

Thanks for any insight regarding this.

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #20,947 of 42,759
This would be a great deal, if the UK didn't opt for Brexit ! The £ has dropped like crap into water. 

I've been tempted by the case but the heat is a slight concern as it does get warm when powered and in use. I don't travel enough with mine, and to be honest, a few scuffs don't bother me. As long as it works, i'm happy. It is a great looking case though. My next buy will be the updated CCK USB 3.0 so I can charge at the same time. This is a huge plus. 

Mine is in a leather Dignis case and I don't seem to have overheating issues.

Aug 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #20,948 of 42,759
Holy crap that McIntosh tube amp looks nice.I'm sure it will sound even nicer! Love the kimber cables too. I think they are most performance/value for speaker setups, I currently have some in my Hugo speaker setup.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

You may have noticed some Kimber PBJ (Peanut Butter & Jelly) feeding my Amp but I bet you'll never guess what' feeding my speakers (pictured as well)
wink.gif

Err...   I also have both and the difference imho is quite evident. I find the DFR much too mid-forward to the point of getting that "in-your-face" feeling. I'm also fairly certain it has more of a HF roll-off. The mojo has more air and a wider soundstage. The DFR tends to always remind me that I'm wearing IEMs... .
Having said that, there's no doubt that the DF serious plays a practical role in portable audio. It's a low-power, highly portable DAC that will outdo a Smartphone / Notebook's onboard audio but I wouldn't want to pit it against one of today's TOTL DAPs... ! 

We all have our own views. I am not alone, my findings chime with John Darko, who happens to put things exactly as I hear them too. 
He states the DFR is ahead of all the Astell & Kern offerings. I have only heard the AK280 but this is some statement, yet one he was willing to state on his website...

Yes, I read his review too and because of him and one of my best buddies I purchased the DFR. Again, I'm pleased to have it and it's an integral part of my audio kit but it sounds a whole lot better when I haven't used the Mojo in days... 
biggrin.gif
Let's be honest here, our brains are quite willing to adapt to all reasonably good reproduction gear given some time...
basshead.gif

27206477331_de3aff4783_c.jpg

I really like what Chord did with its retail packaging. When I received the Mojo It came in just a plain white box. If I saw such an item in store I would have no clue what it would be. Chords new packaging is very colorful and eye catching.

The new packaging also caught my attention (I'll have to ask the reviewer for the first few digits of his unit's SN to compare to mine). I agree that Chord's original packaging was on the rather minimalist side but that's also what impressed me about it. The new packaging is fine, but also quite ordinary and I wouldn't give it a second thought, though... .

27332896283_5ef2d78cbf_c.jpg

27945869305_83a2611016_c.jpg

Aug 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #20,949 of 42,759
To chord...2 weeks ago you'd mentioned the new module/extension was probably to be released in 1-2 weeks...any updates please?
Eagerly awaiting this (am sure i'm not the only one)...one less cable to use, more stable connection, what's not to love.

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #20,950 of 42,759
To chord...2 weeks ago you'd mentioned the new module/extension was probably to be released in 1-2 weeks...any updates please?
Eagerly awaiting this (am sure i'm not the only one)...one less cable to use, more stable connection, what's not to love.
We are just waiting for the cables packaging to arrive before packing in the cables and shipping them out to our distributors

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #20,951 of 42,759
We are just waiting for the cables packaging to arrive before packing in the cables and shipping them out to our distributors

Very nice.  Appreciate the response, John.  Enjoying my MoJo, BTW...great product.

CJ
:)

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #20,955 of 42,759
Yes, I regularly see them offered on Head-fi classifieds for that price, or thereabouts, and I consider it insane that people are willing to save just $50 bucks to buy a secondhand unit which may have any number of hidden issues, regardless of looking in good condition (and many don't even look in good condition).

IMO, it's crazy that sellers will often use a Mojo for 2 or 3 months and then think they can resell and only lose $50 for all that usage, and it's crazy that buyers are willing to play along with it.

But that's just my opinion, and the craziness will no doubt continue, regardless of me shaking my head in disbelief, from a distance!

This something that I refer to as "The Apple Factor", but applies really to any highly desirable brand.

On another forum I'm a member of we frequently get ancient Apple gear being offered at ridiculous prices - for example recently there was an iPad 2 16GB on sale for $400 (I actually bought the exact same model in 2012 brand new for $299) and, despite protestations from other members, it actually sold. People get blinded by the brand and it's absolute madness.

It's a similar thing with the Mojo - it is the DAC/amp combo to have at the moment. Given that popularity, and the fact there's no Mojo out there that's even a year old (apart from pre-production examples I would guess) means that it holds it's value exceptionally well.

Personally when looking at second hand electronics I expect a significant discount (at least 30% off the retail price for a current item) to get me interested, otherwise I'll just buy new - I'm lucky in that I can afford to do that. However I do feel that people who just can't stretch to the full retail price and end up buying second hand at only a marginal discount from the new price are getting well and truly ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back