Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #20,926 of 42,759
  On a side note. There is a US seller who is selling a used Mojo with an apple lightning cable and the offical case for $546 with shipping! 

I think this is a great deal for anyone looking to pick one up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01IIXIOBW/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1470516933&sr=8-3&keywords=chord+mojo&condition=used

This would be a great deal, if the UK didn't opt for Brexit ! The £ has dropped like crap into water. 

I've been tempted by the case but the heat is a slight concern as it does get warm when powered and in use. I don't travel enough with mine, and to be honest, a few scuffs don't bother me. As long as it works, i'm happy. It is a great looking case though. My next buy will be the updated CCK USB 3.0 so I can charge at the same time. This is a huge plus. 

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #20,927 of 42,759
If it's used, I really see no reason to get excited about that price.

You don't know if it may have been repaired, or whatever else

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #20,929 of 42,759

If it's used, I really see no reason to get excited about that price.

Mojo retails for 600 bucks, no? Seems cheaper to me with the bundle thrown in as well. 

You are comparing the price of a new unit with the price of a secondhand bundle.

I don't see it as a proper comparison, since one has no idea what history that Mojo may have.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #20,930 of 42,759

You are comparing the price of a new unit with the price of a secondhand bundle.

I don't see it as a proper comparison, since one has no idea what history that Mojo may have.

In the US a used Mojo usually goes for around $550 so in this case a Mojo, apple connection kit, and case for $546 is a phenomenal deal!

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #20,931 of 42,759

In the US a used Mojo usually goes for around $550 so in this case a Mojo, apple connection kit, and case for $546 is a phenomenal deal!

Yes, I regularly see them offered on Head-fi classifieds for that price, or thereabouts, and I consider it insane that people are willing to save just $50 bucks to buy a secondhand unit which may have any number of hidden issues, regardless of looking in good condition (and many don't even look in good condition).

IMO, it's crazy that sellers will often use a Mojo for 2 or 3 months and then think they can resell and only lose $50 for all that usage, and it's crazy that buyers are willing to play along with it.

But that's just my opinion, and the craziness will no doubt continue, regardless of me shaking my head in disbelief, from a distance!

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #20,932 of 42,759

This would be a great deal, if the UK didn't opt for Brexit ! The £ has dropped like crap into water. 

I've been tempted by the case but the heat is a slight concern as it does get warm when powered and in use. I don't travel enough with mine, and to be honest, a few scuffs don't bother me. As long as it works, i'm happy. It is a great looking case though. My next buy will be the updated CCK USB 3.0 so I can charge at the same time. This is a huge plus. 

I actually travel quite a bit with my Mojo. I took it to my trip to Europe and listened on the airplane and on bus rides as well as in hotels. On the airplane its actually quite difficult to listen to music and enjoy it. There is so much ambient noise and my ears constantly have ear pressure which makes it hard to hear the full resolution Mojo is capable of.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #20,933 of 42,759

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #20,934 of 42,759
....enjoying my Mojo....

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #20,935 of 42,759

Yes, I regularly see them offered on Head-fi classifieds for that price, or thereabouts, and I consider it insane that people are willing to save just $50 bucks to buy a secondhand unit which may have any number of hidden issues, regardless of looking in good condition (and many don't even look in good condition).

IMO, it's crazy that sellers will often use a Mojo for 2 or 3 months and then think they can resell and only lose $50 for all that usage, and it's crazy that buyers are willing to play along with it.

But that's just my opinion, and the craziness will no doubt continue, regardless of me shaking my head in disbelief, from a distance!

it's even crazier for Schiit products. Most sellers will try to sell them for just a little under cost despite years of usage. It may only be worth it if there is a considerable discount.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #20,938 of 42,759
  it's even crazier for Schiit products. Most sellers will try to sell them for just a little under cost despite years of usage. It may only be worth it if there is a considerable discount.

It's pretty funny.

Right now, on the local Craigslist, there's a Magni 2 for a dollar MORE than just buying new.  Same guy has HD-650 listed for the same price as new from Amazon.

And then there's a Valhalla 2 for $300 (with some comment that they're highly sought after ... which they might be, but they're NOT hard to get ... $349 new right now and in-stock).

Maybe it's me ... when I look at used gear, be it audio, photography or whatever, the baseline price I'm thinking is 60% of current retail price (not whatever price it was when you happened to buy it).  I might go up a bit from there if the thing is in absolutely pristine condition, with all packaging, a transferrable, current, warranty and/or some kind of accessories included that I'll actually use.  And it might go down a bit if things are missing or it's not cosmetically near-perfect.  But the thought of paying 80% and upwards for a used item, when I can get a new one in my hands, shipped 2nd day, with NO worries about warranty, condition, or whether it'll even show up ... yeah, not so much.

I just sold my original Bifrost, with USB Gen 1 and a "4490" board (upgraded from the original) for $200.  My original Lyr, with new tubes, $250.  Both were in like-new condition cosmetically.  And that was as much as I felt right about asking for them, given what the new ones go for and how much enjoyment and use I've gotten out of them.

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #20,939 of 42,759

It's pretty funny.

Right now, on the local Craigslist, there's a Magni 2 for a dollar MORE than just buying new.  Same guy has HD-650 listed for the same price as new from Amazon.

And then there's a Valhalla 2 for $300 (with some comment that they're highly sought after ... which they might be, but they're NOT hard to get ... $349 new right now and in-stock).

Maybe it's me ... when I look at used gear, be it audio, photography or whatever, the baseline price I'm thinking is 60% of current retail price (not whatever price it was when you happened to buy it).  I might go up a bit from there if the thing is in absolutely pristine condition, with all packaging, a transferrable, current, warranty and/or some kind of accessories included that I'll actually use.  And it might go down a bit if things are missing or it's not cosmetically near-perfect.  But the thought of paying 80% and upwards for a used item, when I can get a new one in my hands, shipped 2nd day, with NO worries about warranty, condition, or whether it'll even show up ... yeah, not so much.

I just sold my original Bifrost, with USB Gen 1 and a "4490" board (upgraded from the original) for $200.  My original Lyr, with new tubes, $250.  Both were in like-new condition cosmetically.  And that was as much as I felt right about asking for them, given what the new ones go for and how much enjoyment and use I've gotten out of them.

The thing is, people who look for used entry to mid-range gear usually don't have a lot of money and often have to scrap together just enough to buy an item. So for them a $50-100 discount is totally worth it. Not only that but if you buy a used Valhalla 2 for $300 and you feel like selling it in a few months, you can sell it for about as much as you bought it since you bought it used.  

Aug 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #20,940 of 42,759
Do you find the wyrd4sound an improvement?  Rob Watts doesn't recommend it because it upsamples the audio to 96khz before passing it onto Mojo. From my long term listening experience, Mojo sounds better when it is fed a bit perfect signal.

What do you mean by "it"? If it is to refer to the Recovery well....

I am using the Wyrd4Sound Recovery to feed the Mojo a bit perfect signal via Audirvana+.

To save time, ultimately, the Recovery softly sets the mids on a pedestal while defining the leading edge more clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back