Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #20,881 of 42,759
  So Mojo has 44 slower DSP cores that match Hugo's 16 DSP cores and thats how it can generate 26,000 taps? Are the 44 cores running at a lower speed due to power restrictions from the internal battery? Or is that their normal speed?

I will hazard a guess that the reduced speed is to minimise the amount of heat that is generated internally by the Mojo.
However only Rob can tell you the definitive answer.

I had missed Mythons reply.

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #20,882 of 42,759
  i hope no one gets upset, but i wish that the mojo had a wider sound stage, despite that its the best i heard

No need for anyone to get upset; your subjective opinion is as valid as anyone else's subjective opinion
beerchug.gif

With that said, are you aware of Rob's commentary on that aspect of musical presentation?

To add onto the comments by xtr4:

Definitely audition with the music you like cos it's your personal enjoyment.

So far I like using the Chord Mojo the most when listening to well-mastered vocalist stuff.

I think I get what reviewers and users mean when they remark that the soundstage seems narrower yet deeper when songs are played via the Mojo. I get a similar impression in the sense that the vocals seem more "forward". I don't mean sibilance or harshness, I mean the sense that the voice is being projected.

So I am really enjoying various CDs by vocalists. Happy to take a bit more time to now convert some of my fave vocalist albums to FLAC.

I also find the increase in detail and timing, especially when it comes to transients and drums, cymbals, hi-hats etc very impressive. But it's no something I want to emphasise too much because when listening to rock bands I wanna enjoy each song rather than concentrate on hearing the transients.

But really the Mojo is impressive for its price. Lots of times I get distracted cos I am like "wow! I never heard that detail before?!" and its a bit scary if I am walking on the street!

Perceived width is actually an aberration - so when image focus improves, the sensation of width diminishes. Its akin to looking at an image out of focus, then seeing it suddenly in focus - the size of the image gets smaller but you can see things much more accurately. Another way of looking at is perspective. If an instrument gets deeper into the sound stage, it naturally goes back and apparently decreases in width. So when you improve instrument placement focus in the sound stage, the perception of width will decrease.

There is an exception to this rule, in that you can encode sounds to sound wider than the loudspeakers, but this effect (replicating the phase delays and resonances of the earlobes and changing the left right phase) can increase width beyond the loudspeakers - it can also be used to encode height. But these effects are very rare and a bit hit and miss. Its these resonances and phase delays that allow binaural recordings on headphones to work. In this case, when image placement improves, then you get an increase in width and height - but as I said, these effects are very rarely found.

Rob

I'm not saying that to 'defend' Mojo - psychoacoustics is an extremely subjective thing; there's no getting away from that fact.

I'm just quoting the above, as an interesting perspective on the topic.

I read a review of one of Rob's very early DAC designs, and the reviewer made an interesting remark that he feels one way in which vinyl can (subjectively) differ from digital audio reproduction is in (what he perceives as) a more-centralised presentation, and, as a fan of vinyl, he liked the way Rob's DAC sounded (to his ears) closer to the presentation he subjectively appreciates, in vinyl audio reproduction. Please bear in mind that this review was for a DAC long before Mojo, but the remark was nonetheless interesting.

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #20,883 of 42,759

No need for anyone to get upset; your subjective opinion is as valid as anyone else's subjective opinion
beerchug.gif

With that said, are you aware of Rob's commentary on that aspect of musical presentation?

I'm not saying that to 'defend' Mojo - psychoacoustics is an extremely subjective thing; there's no getting away from that fact.

I'm just quoting the above, as an interesting perspective on the topic.

I read a review of one of Rob's very early DAC designs, and the reviewer made an interesting remark that he feels one way in which vinyl can (subjectively) differ from digital audio reproduction is in (what he perceives as) a more-centralised presentation, and, as a fan of vinyl, he liked the way Rob's DAC sounded (to his ears) closer to the presentation he subjectively appreciates, in vinyl audio reproduction. Please bear in mind that this review was for a DAC long before Mojo, but the remark was nonetheless interesting.

thanks for the perspective,still wishing its sounstage was wider but totally appreciate the mojo which makes everything sound so good

since we are talking about sound stage, I noticed something which I appreciate if anyone can answer.

Sometimes when I watch a movie and a song comes along in the movie which I have in my library, the sound stage of the song in the movie is wide and so amazing compared to the same song i have on cd. There are so many songs that come in movies that I wish that the cd have the same mastering and huge wide sound stage. 

Are they using a special effect to achieve that perception in songs in movies and if yes does anyone know how they do it, as everything sound so deep and wide and the bass, mids and highs are engulfing me from everywhere, unlike the poor perception i get when i play the same song from cd on my same home theater that i watch movies on as well. ( both listened on my home theater but the song in the movie sounds so much better than my when i play it on cd )

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #20,884 of 42,759
  thanks for the perspective,still wishing its sounstage was wider but totally appreciate the mojo which makes everything sound so good

since we are talking about sound stage, I noticed something which I appreciate if anyone can answer.

Sometimes when I watch a movie and a song comes along in the movie which I have in my library, the sound stage of the song in the movie is wide and so amazing compared to the same song i have on cd. There are so many songs that come in movies that I wish that the cd have the same mastering and huge wide sound stage. 

Are they using a special effect to achieve that perception in songs in movies and if yes does anyone know how they do it, as everything sound so deep and wide and the bass, mids and highs are engulfing me from everywhere, unlike the poor perception i get when i play the same song from cd on my same home theater that i watch movies on as well. ( both listened on my home theater but the song in the movie sounds so much better than my when i play it on cd )

Probably a lot to do with movies having the sound split into multiple channels for 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, atmos etc.
If you like the wider soundstages, have you tried listening to any of remixes of 1960s and 1970s prog rock band albums that have been performed by Steve Wilson? These remixes include both stereo and 5.1 versions of their albums, all on the same DVD or Blu ray disc. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #20,885 of 42,759

There is software called "out of your head". You could try the demo of that and see if you get the same effect/desired effect. I don't use it myself, but have done and it works very well

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #20,888 of 42,759
A Mojo TT would be great, with proper RCA output sockets. Surely it could be made cheaper than the Mojo as it wouldnt need the battery?

As far as I remember, I think I read that the Hugo TT does have a battery. I think I read it on the What Hi-Fi review. ...I can't recall for sure but I think I they may have said the Hugo TT can run portably. I really can't remember though, and I think it's more to do with power supply.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #20,890 of 42,759

FURUTECH F35G

High quality gold strike plating that is incredibly scratch and wear resistant compared to other connectors in my experience. On the expensive side, but worth the money.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #20,891 of 42,759
Can anyone recommend a good 3.5 to Quarter inch plug adapter to plug my headphone into Mojo quarter inch headphone jack. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I would avoid using a solid adapter.

I realise it has a nice short signal path, but there is too much risk of causing too much accidental leverage upon Mojos 3.5mm jack.

Instead, I would use something like Sennheiser's adapter:

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/accessories--adapter--jack-plug--gold

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #20,892 of 42,759
Grade mini works very well. My Audeze adaptor died within a week.

https://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #20,893 of 42,759
TGIF !!!
beerchug.gif

This evening I really wanted to hear some music on my home system. I'd plan on listening to some vinyl as my CD Player, an older Meridian, is currently somewhere in England getting repaired (...hopefully). I went to spin up my turntable and (long-story-short) looks like that will be the next thing to get sent off for repair...
rolleyes.gif

That only left me with one other option...
...Plan B!
biggrin.gif

28793220085_4d64c98796_c.jpg

28716102251_f7780a323f_c.jpg

p.s. I eventually swapped out the iHP-120 (DAP) for my Smartphone to enjoy some hi-res goodness, but it wasn't particularly photogenic... 
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #20,894 of 42,759
Holy crap that McIntosh tube amp looks nice.I'm sure it will sound even nicer! Love the kimbre cables too. I think they are most performance/value for speaker setups, I cuurrently have some in my Hugo speaker setup.

Happy listening :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back