Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 29, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #20,612 of 42,765
Just got my Mojo and wow. The power and sound from such a small device is amazing (coming from Valhalla 2 + Bifrost Multibit) and it sounds great with my HD 800's. Very impressed/satisfied with this purchase and now a big Chord fan.

Nice! I'm also making a move from Bifrost Uber to Mojo, although I'm keeping mine for the time being so I can hook my speakers up to my television.
How would you compare Bifrost MB to Mojo?

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #20,613 of 42,765
Nice! I'm also making a move from Bifrost Uber to Mojo, although I'm keeping mine for the time being so I can hook my speakers up to my television.
How would you compare Bifrost MB to Mojo?

the whole hi fi world is going ga ga over this little miracle called mojo and still there is talk about sch*** . mojo is being used in the comapny much more expensive full speaker system and not just headphones. :) i can say that mojo can beat even the most expensive cd players and some very expensive dacs purely for sq. :)

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #20,614 of 42,765
  the whole hi fi world is going ga ga over this little miracle called mojo and still there is talk about sch*** . mojo is being used in the comapny much more expensive full speaker system and not just headphones. :) i can say that mojo can beat even the most expensive cd players and some very expensive dacs purely for sq. :)

Hi rkt31

I have spent a lot of time listening to the same music files in the following ways

AK380->Balanced->JHA Layla
AK380->Optical->Chord Mojo->JHA Layla
AK380->USB->Chord Mojo->JHA Layla
Pi+Volumio->USB->Chord Mojo->JHA Layla
Pi+Volumio->USB->Chord 2Qute->big valve amp+big speakers
Pi+Volumio->USB->Chord Mojo->big valve amp ans speakers

IMHO, although the Mojo is good, the AK380 balanced into into the Laylas is better (OK that is about 8 times more expensive and the Mojo gets near).  

IMHO the 2Qute, which is about 2.5 times more expensive is easily better.

I agree it is very good for the money, but not THAT good!

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #20,615 of 42,765
It would be ever helpful if the term 'better' was actually described when comparing gear. I'm not arguing your findings, but 'better' means nothing without a description.

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #20,616 of 42,765

Hi rkt31

I have spent a lot of time listening to the same music files in the following ways

IMHO, although the Mojo is good, the AK380 balanced into into the Laylas is better (OK that is about 8 times more expensive and the Mojo gets near).  

Interesting.

In my "big" DAC audition I found I preferred the Mojo to both the Hugo and the 2Qute.

And compared to the entire AK line, with or without the amp on the 300 series units, the Mojo beat it bloody.  No need for an additional amp.  Capable of driving real headphones to serious levels with authority ... the AK was just completely outclassed ... and for a fraction of the price.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think the AK380 and JHA Layla are among the worst values in the industry.  And the stupid thing is, I'd buy an AK380 (as a transport) if AK hadn't dumbed it down with a single microSD slot.

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #20,617 of 42,765

Hi rkt31

Were these double blind tests, so that no justification bias crept into your findings?
Also what music tracks did you use - at the moment no-one can know if you focused on classical music or rock or jazz or vocals or what?

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #20,618 of 42,765
Who would bother DBTing and taking statistics on 6 different combos at the same time? I wouldn't. :rolleyes:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 29, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #20,619 of 42,765

Were these double blind tests, so that no justification bias crept into your findings?
Also what music tracks did you use - at the moment no-one can know if you focused on classical music or rock or jazz or vocals or what?

Not double blind tests. Not really tests at all, just my continued experience of my equipment.
My definition of 'better' comes down simply to how much I enjoy listening to the music.

I spend about 4-6 hours a day listening to music while I work, the setup I use depends on my location and what I have with me that day. 
I have listened to most of the above combinations for many days/weeks/months each.

I have listened to the Mojo over USB from the AK380 solidly for the last two days now, and enjoyed it. However, today I switched back to AK380 direct to JHA Layla (outside office, not much pocket space) and was immediately struck by the more natural sound that the AK380 always has. The Mojo always sounded a bit like it is trying to impress - a very good sound, but not as natural as the AK380.

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #20,620 of 42,765

Hi rkt31

"Better" in terms of what? No doubt there is a difference between Mojo and AK380. But it may just be your preference of AK380 over Mojo.

I have not heard the AK380 but I'm doing the same comparison between Mojo and AK320 mostly with AKT8IE MK2.

AK320 balanced vs Mojo comparison, I prefer the Mojo. The Bass on AK320 is looser, leaner and has lesser bass slam than Mojo, Detail and texture in the bass is also more vivid on Mojo.

The overall detail, focus, energy and clarity is more pronounced in Mojo. I also find the overall image in Mojo more natural and full bodied while AK320 sound more flat. Same goes with timbre.

However, the soundstage with AK320 balanced is a bit wider. But considering how Mojo presents the overall music as a whole I don't think it's a disadvantage. AK320 SE I did not bother because I find it a step below the balanced out.

The combination of Mojo and AKT8IE allows me to listen longer and still enjoy the clear, vivid sound without hashness and fatigue especially with recordings that usually sound fatiguing and harsh.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #20,621 of 42,765

Not double blind tests. Not really tests at all, just my continued experience of my equipment.
My definition of 'better' comes down simply to how much I enjoy listening to the music.

I spend about 4-6 hours a day listening to music while I work, the setup I use depends on my location and what I have with me that day. 
I have listened to most of the above combinations for many days/weeks/months each.

I have listened to the Mojo over USB from the AK380 solidly for the last two days now, and enjoyed it. However, today I switched back to AK380 direct to JHA Layla (outside office, not much pocket space) and was immediately struck by the more natural sound that the AK380 always has. The Mojo always sounded a bit like it is trying to impress - a very good sound, but not as natural as the AK380.

Thanks for providing a bit more explanation - but I am sure that people would be interested to hear what types of music you used. 
Someone listening to classical music will be more interested in dynamic range, treble response, placement of instruments, depth of field, whereas someone listening to electronic music will have no interest is placement of instruments or soundstage, and similar would apply to other music genres.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #20,622 of 42,765

Do you get any pops or clicks over USB? I use a Pi too and get a lot of RFI/EMI from the WIFI. At least that is what I have narrowed it down to.

Can you share which Pi and Wifi adapter and USB cable you are using?

I use RuneAudio (volumio offshoot) and don't think that would cause it but may be worth a quick try of volumio again.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #20,623 of 42,765
Do you get any pops or clicks over USB? I use a Pi too and get a lot of RFI/EMI from the WIFI. At least that is what I have narrowed it down to.

Can you share which Pi and Wifi adapter and USB cable you are using?

I use RuneAudio (volumio offshoot) and don't think that would cause it but may be worth a quick try of volumio again.

I use a Pi 1b and 2. I don't use Wifi - only wired connection. 

Volumio was an offshoot of RuneAudio (as far as I was aware) - it is now in version 2, actively supported and amazing.

In my experience most pops and clicks in this setup come from the power supply.

I have invested in a Terry Pardo power supply which cost a lot and it made a big difference to the sound.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #20,624 of 42,765

Thanks for providing a bit more explanation - but I am sure that people would be interested to hear what types of music you used. 
Someone listening to classical music will be more interested in dynamic range, treble response, placement of instruments, depth of field, whereas someone listening to electronic music will have no interest is placement of instruments or soundstage, and similar would apply to other music genres.

All sorts of music: Rock (Rob Zombie, Rush, Heart etc...), classical (Dvorzak, Beethoven etc...), world (Dead Can Dance, Afro Celt Sound System etc...), hard acid techno from the late 80's early 90's, electro from the late 90's, EBM, Krautrock, folk - the list goes on.

Very eclectic :)

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #20,625 of 42,765
Found end game.

Audioquest X3 Powercord
AQ Forest ethernet cable
Lifatec Glass fiber TOSLINK
Chord Mojo
Tidal running inside Roon
Moon's Audio Silver dragon V3 headphone cable to Audioquest Nighthawks.
And importantly Dales EQ settings for Nighthawks using Equalizer APO.

Playing on PC through win10 64bit.

About $1,8000.00 later sounds like end-game. (although if I think about trading buying/reselling lost just as much as well lol)

And I have heard alot of audio setups (both 2- channel and headphone setups at audio shows/ and my own home.

If you have money to spare, try this setup and you prbabaly won't ever think about upgrading again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back