Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #18,466 of 42,765
First off, sorry if this has been mentioned before. I checked post 3 and nope, it's not there under interviews, and quite frankly I'm not going to trawl through the 1.25 thousand pages that this thread has just to see if somebody else has mentioned it.

Flicking through some HiFi sites over the weekend I found this guide to digital audio from HiFi+, which contains a very informative interview with Mr Rob Watts himself. Although the interview doesn't mention the Mojo, it mentions the Hugo and Dave, it is nevertheless relevant to Mojo, and is well worth a read.

It's a freebie PDF download that you can get here - http://www.hifiplus.com/buyers_guides/2/ Page 56 is where the action starts.

It's good to see him voicing discontent with the DSD format, although he criticises it for technical reasons, whereas I dislike it for practical reasons.

Mython - maybe this link might be good on post 3, even though Mojo is not directly mentioned.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #18,467 of 42,765
Just curious, if I were to upgrade to the Chord Mojo from DX90/ O2, what kind of improvements can I expect? I am planning to use it with Beyerdynamic T1 or Etymotic ER4S or Beyerdynamic T8IE. 

AFAIK, Mojo is only single ended right?

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #18,468 of 42,765
Just got the glass fiber Toslink to Toslink Lifatec cable in and wow it sounds very nice. I have here the Audioquest Cinnamon Toslink cable which cost around the same and it's no comparison. It sounds better than even the Audioquest Vodka Toslink cable which cost me $250.00. Rep'd you for very good recommendation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Very glad that you like it!

Even Audioquest's Diamond TOSLINK cable falls significantly short of the spec of the Lifatec glass cables.

When evaluating optical cables (not just for audio), you first want a good material; "glass" is best, some of the polymers are very good (this relates to signal attenuation/propagation and optimum internal reflection).  Then you want lots of very narrow strands (helps with angle of incidence issues at source and destination, among other things).  Then you want the ends properly polished.  Then you want a well-toleranced connector (which also helps with connection alignment).  After that, things are optional and more about solidity - e.g. an armored jacket to protect the fiber from exceeding bend-radius limits.

I think the Audioquest line tops out out 280 fibers, and Lifatec uses 470 (which means they're finer, too, which is an additional benefit).

Not sure why Audioquest feel the need to gold plate the ends of the connectors on an optical cable.

Both companies do a really good job of the polish on the cable ends though, and that's very important (never touch the cable ends, they're easy to upset).

The Lifatec should be considered a gold-standard on both quality and value - almost nothing else gets close in spec and certainly not at those prices and custom-length options.  Sure, the Audioquest cables look very nice, but it's easy to exceed their >$500 cable's performance with something that costs 1/10th that price.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #18,469 of 42,765

When evaluating optical cables (not just for audio), you first want a good material; "glass" is best, some of the polymers are very good (this relates to signal attenuation/propagation and optimum internal reflection).  Then you want lots of very narrow strands (helps with angle of incidence issues at source and destination, among other things).  Then you want the ends properly polished.  Then you want a well-toleranced connector (which also helps with connection alignment).  After that, things are optional and more about solidity - e.g. an armored jacket to protect the fiber from exceeding bend-radius limits.

sandalaudio also posted some related advice, on this, a few months ago:

Originally Posted by sandalaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a reminder to those people who are suffering with TOSLINK optical digital cables.

The cable quality (not price) makes a big difference, as well as the bend angle. (as much as the optical transmistter quality of the DAP).
The TOSLINK standard was originally only intended for up to 96kHz on the cheap single core plastic fibre cables, which is what most audio optical cables use, unlike the graded/multi-strand glass fibre on expensive data cables.

The older and cheaper TOSLINK cables have terrible tip roughness that also limits the max rate that it can safely feed. Even the expensive cables started having pop noises above 88.2kHz. Some of those I got to work at 192kHz by polishing the end cap, but not all were successful.

I can't recommend any particular brand of TOSLINK cable, and it's hard to tell because most of those cable makers don't make their own brand of cables anyway.

Attached are some photos I took many years ago FYI.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #18,470 of 42,765
Just got the glass fiber Toslink to Toslink Lifatec cable in and wow it sounds very nice. I have here the Audioquest Cinnamon Toslink cable which cost around the same and it's no comparison. It sounds better than even the Audioquest Vodka Toslink cable which cost me $250.00. Rep'd you for very good recommendation

Just curious, what did you use to connect to Mojo before you  got the Lifeatec? Is it a significant difference?

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #18,472 of 42,765

sandalaudio also posted some related advice, on this, a few months ago:

Definitely sound advice.

I can say that with both the Lifatec and the Sys Concept cables I've had no trouble at all with signals up to 192 KHz using either a Mac Pro or an AK120 as the source.  The combination of high-strand count and very flexible polymers on the Sys Concept cable allows VERY tight bend radius with no loss of integrity for 192 KHz signals.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #18,473 of 42,765
In case anyone is thinking about a Mojo, I have just put one up in the FS section as a pretty sweet package.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/810525/ak120-chord-mojo-sysconcepts-optical-cable-2-x-128gb-sandisk-microsd

dgcrane

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #18,474 of 42,765
Just curious, what did you use to connect to Mojo before you  got the Lifeatec? Is it a significant difference?

I've tried the Audioquest Cinnamon USB to Micro USB, AQ Cinnamon TOSLINK to TOSKINK, and AQ Vodka TOSLINK, and Lifatec TOSLINK to TOSLINK is better than all of them.

I also think TOSLINK sound better than USB inputs on Mojo. Tried same legnth and same type cable (AQ Cinnamon).

As far as musicality and smoothness goes yes I think it's significant. (sounds like I put a expensive high quality transparent tube in my system/ no tubiness at all just the goodness). imaging is improved as well/better details/lower noise. Excellent quality cable.

Edit: This just kicked in my head, the cable is made of glass and tubes are made of glass. Expect high quality tube goodness :D

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #18,475 of 42,765
I've tried the Audioquest Cinnamon USB to Micro USB, AQ Cinnamon TOSLINK to TOSKINK, and AQ Vodka TOSLINK, and Lifatec TOSLINK to TOSLINK is better than all of them.

I also think TOSLINK sound better than USB inputs on Mojo. Tried same legnth and same type cable (AQ Cinnamon).

As far as musicality and smoothness goes yes I think it's significant. (sounds like I put a expensive high quality transparent tube in my system/ no tubiness at all just the goodness). imaging is improved as well/better details/lower noise. Excellent quality cable.

Edit: This just kicked in my head, the cable is made of glass and tubes are made of glass. Expect high quality tube goodness
biggrin.gif

Damn sounds good. Ordered a cheapo optical cable just to try it out, should arrive tomorrow. Will observe if any change occurs vs USB to the Mojo.
Curious what Lifatec cable you use? I now want one already! >:)

oh and does it sound warmer than the USB?

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #18,476 of 42,765
Damn sounds good. Ordered a cheapo optical cable just to try it out, should arrive tomorrow. Will observe if any change occurs vs USB to the Mojo.

I'm using the Lifatec 20inch Toslink to Toslink Premium Sifilex Glass cables with Optisilk Jacketing. (can't link because I'm on tablet). It's only like $70.00 with 30 day money back guarantee for returns.

If you did get the optical cable from lifatec I recommend getting the cable with glass material since I think that's what's making the most difference.

The optical input on Mojo does sounds smoother and warmer than USB input.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #18,477 of 42,765
I'm using the Lifatec 20inch Toslink to Toslink Premium Sifilex Glass cables with Optisilk Jacketing. (can't link because I'm on tablet). It's only like $70.00 with 30 day money back guarantee for returns.

If you did get the optical cable from lifatec I recommend getting the cable with glass material since I think that's what's making the most difference.

Found it thanks! Might get one of those soon.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #18,478 of 42,765

Edit: This just kicked in my head, the cable is made of glass and tubes are made of glass. Expect high quality tube goodness
biggrin.gif

i thought i'd read somewhere in which mr watts preferred a toslink connection...but for what sort of purpose I'm not sure.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #18,479 of 42,765

i thought i'd read somewhere in which mr watts preferred a toslink connection...but for what sort of purpose I'm not sure.

Rob prefers optical input because of the lack of RF noise. Indeed, his observations that RF noise affects noise floor modulation and creates a false sense of brightness is in line with reports of optical sounding smoother. For portable battery operated devices USB galvanic isolation is not feasible so therefore optical is the best input to reduce RF pollution, which Rob has described as a 'fungus' that's very difficult to eliminate.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #18,480 of 42,765

I actually find my microusb cable to be quite smooth and transparent already. But if this raises the bar like you say it does, I'm going to order one soon.

Just one question, does the cable come with caps attached to it? it seems like optical cables need to be carefully watched after in order to preserve the sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back