Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 16, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #17,686 of 42,765

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit sensitive to this hissing but given the setup I have, I cannot do anything about it unless I buy another iem with higher impedance and less sensitivity. This a journey, an expensive journey
smily_headphones1.gif
. But it makes us happy
smily_headphones1.gif

You could also consider adding an impedance adapter. ....

Outrageous!

There's no need to swear! 
wink_face.gif

(I am rather biased, in that I strongly dislike the introduction of impedance to the total audio signal, even though I realise it can lessen hissing, for some people)

May 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #17,687 of 42,765
  Here's my change to my audio_policy.conf file:

usb_device {
        sampling_rates 44100|48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO
        formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM|AUDIO_FORMAT_MP3|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_DEVICE
      }

This is on a asus zenfone laser running cyanogenmod 13.
With this change when I use google play or youtube etc, I get 48000 going to my mojo (according to the light color).
It looks like android will still up sample to the highest rate provided here.

To me, I don't really hear a difference, and I can't say what android is doing internally, it could be up sampling then down sampling for all I know :wink:

Wouldn't you want this to prevent upsampling:

sampling_rates 44100|44100

May 16, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #17,688 of 42,765

Here's my change to my audio_policy.conf file:

usb_device {
        sampling_rates 44100|48000
        channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO
        formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM|AUDIO_FORMAT_MP3|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_DEVICE
      }

This is on a asus zenfone laser running cyanogenmod 13.
With this change when I use google play or youtube etc, I get 48000 going to my mojo (according to the light color).
It looks like android will still up sample to the highest rate provided here.

To me, I don't really hear a difference, and I can't say what android is doing internally, it could be up sampling then down sampling for all I know :wink:

Wouldn't you want this to prevent upsampling:

sampling_rates 44100|44100

I totally understand the intention to prevent Android auto-upsampling every audio file to 24/192, but does this type of hack accidentally prevent 16/48, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192, etc. files from being fed to Mojo at their legitimate native, bit-perfect, resolution? In other words, will it accidentally play, for example, a 24/96 file, at 24/44.1 instead of 24/96?

May 16, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #17,689 of 42,765
You could also consider adding an impedance adapter. I myself have not tried it. But I hear it helps sometimes. Keep in mind though, it could potentially change the frequency response of your IEM.

Thanks, but I am a bit hesitant on using impedance adapters. Before I had the chord mojo and my e-q8, I had the fidue a83 with a hidiz ap100 and that hisses a lot. So I tried using the dunu 75 ohm impedance plug as some suggested however the sound totally changed to something I don't like. A reason why I sold my hidiz ap100 and the dunu impedance plug (but the fidue a83 is still with me). 

By the way, I was browsing the e-q8 threads and found someone mentioning the sensitivity of the e-q8 to be 120db. And since its impedance of 12 ohms, and based on your explanations, it looks like it would be prone to hissing. And the chord mojo even with its clean output cannot handle this. Its not a problem though when music is playing as compared to the hidizs ap100 that really hisses a lot with the fidue a83, even when music is playing, I can hear it. 

May 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #17,690 of 42,765

Outrageous!

There's no need to swear! 
wink_face.gif

(I am rather biased, in that I strongly dislike the introduction of impedance to the total audio signal, even though I realise it can lessen hissing, for some people).

I personally don't prefer adding it. But it seems to have helped a few people.. I'd say, it's worth a shot if you are up for it.. At least not so outrageous as having to change your source or your IEM, just to get rid of hiss..

May 16, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #17,691 of 42,765

Thanks, but I am a bit hesitant on using impedance adapters. Before I had the chord mojo and my e-q8, I had the fidue a83 with a hidiz ap100 and that hisses a lot. So I tried using the dunu 75 ohm impedance plug as some suggested however the sound totally changed to something I don't like. A reason why I sold my hidiz ap100 and the dunu impedance plug (but the fidue a83 is still with me). 

By the way, I was browsing the e-q8 threads and found someone mentioning the sensitivity of the e-q8 to be 120db. And since its impedance of 12 ohms, and based on your explanations, it looks like it would be prone to hissing. And the chord mojo even with its clean output cannot handle this. Its not a problem though when music is playing as compared to the hidizs ap100 that really hisses a lot with the fidue a83, even when music is playing, I can hear it. 

Ah I see.. 120 dB and 12 Ohm.. sshhhhDEFINITELYsshhhh...

May 16, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #17,692 of 42,765

LOL - perhaps you should stop-by the DAVE thread,  some time
ph34r.gif

As for the Mojo thread, here are some of Rob Watts' thoughts on the matter (this, and more, can be found in post #3, under the sub-topic 'Informative posts by Rob Watts', which I thoroughly recommend reading, when you can spare the time):

FWIW, I don't fundamentally disagree with you, @Trebor1966 - it's just that life isn't always so simple as it 'theoretically' seems it 'should' be.

That's either a PITA, or it just makes life that bit more interesting, depending on one's attitude towards it!

beerchug.gif

That's why working in audio as a designer is so fascinating - amazingly small things can have a surprisingly big influence on the sound. The fun is trying to understand the why's and how's, then getting further improvements that allows one to enjoy music more.

What other human activity combines science, engineering and emotional enjoyment together?

May 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #17,693 of 42,765

i find multi driver IEMs don't work well with impedance adapters.

May 16, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #17,694 of 42,765
  That's why working in audio as a designer is so fascinating - amazingly small things can have a surprisingly big influence on the sound. The fun is trying to understand the why's and how's, then getting further improvements that allows one to enjoy music more.

What other human activity combines science, engineering and emotional enjoyment together?

2 minutes ago i ordered a silver OTG cable after comparing a 50 cm Lindy OTG cable against a 20 cm cable from penonaudio. And there was a sinificant difference - the sound of the long cable was not so clean
beyersmile.png
.  @Rob: do you think the length makes also a difference, so shorter means lesser distortion? Now i believe that also the digital path can be influence the sound. In the past i thought only the analog sound can be affected by using different wire materials.

May 16, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #17,695 of 42,765
when setting the phone to flight modus i think shielding isn't necessary, or?

Recently I started putting my phone not only to flight mode but also to ultra energy save mode, while critical listening.
The theory is that less running processes in the backround also benefit the signal transfer.
This has a subtle effect, but I feel that clarity improves a bit. It's not a earthshattering improvement but it's nice to get a step closer to SQ heaven :)
Enjoy your new cable!
Cheers

May 16, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #17,696 of 42,765
Anyone having any issues with dropouts while playing DSD256 or DSD128 to the Mojo?

While I suspect the issue is upstream of the DAC, I figured I'd ask as it wasn't something I was expecting and I don't have another DSD-capable DAC available that I can use to troubleshoot with.

Upstream config is a 12 core new Mac Pro, 64 GB of RAM, OS X (El Capitan) Audirvana+ 2.5, 16 GB allocated for music pre-load/buffering, direct USB connection to the Mac (no hubs, and tried with various USB cables).  Sysoptimzer is enabled and set to its most aggressive settings.  No other applications in use at the time.  Output is via DoP 1.0.  Exclusive, Direct and Integer modes enabled.

I have no issues with PCM audio at 32/384 KHz, just with DSD128 or 256.

May 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #17,697 of 42,765

LOL - perhaps you should stop-by the DAVE thread,  some time
ph34r.gif

As for the Mojo thread, here are some of Rob Watts' thoughts on the matter (this, and more, can be found in post #3, under the sub-topic 'Informative posts by Rob Watts', which I thoroughly recommend reading, when you can spare the time):

FWIW, I don't fundamentally disagree with you, @Trebor1966 - it's just that life isn't always so simple as it 'theoretically' seems it 'should' be.

That's either a PITA, or it just makes life that bit more interesting, depending on one's attitude towards it!

beerchug.gif

Heh-heh! OK, well, just to pull yer leg a bit, Rob... http://www.head-fi.org/t/630723/themed-monthly-avatar-committee-tmac-discussion-thread/11580#post_12476962 
biggrin.gif

Life is so paradoxical, but I've learned to be comfortable with the infinitude of paradoxes, because there are also an infinite number of possible subjective perspectives, on an infinite number of possible phenomena, and each individual perspective does not have to preclude the other perspectives; they can all co-exist, if one is willing to entertain more than just one perspective...

But it's fun to play around by pitting one's pet-favourite perspectives against those of others.

May 16, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #17,698 of 42,765
  Anyone having any issues with dropouts while playing DSD256 or DSD128 to the Mojo?

While I suspect the issue is upstream of the DAC, I figured I'd ask as it wasn't something I was expecting and I don't have another DSD-capable DAC available that I can use to troubleshoot with.

Upstream config is a 12 core new Mac Pro, 64 GB of RAM, OS X (El Capitan) Audirvana+ 2.5, 16 GB allocated for music pre-load/buffering, direct USB connection to the Mac (no hubs, and tried with various USB cables).  Sysoptimzer is enabled and set to its most aggressive settings.  No other applications in use at the time.  Output is via DoP 1.0.  Exclusive, Direct and Integer modes enabled.

Is safe to say it is not the Mac Pro end.  The HP there is far more than necessary.
I had no issues using Hugo for DSD128 or DSD256.  I am pretty sure Hugo does not play DSD256 natively.
The Mojo should be able to handle files as well as Hugo, if not even better.

I would suggest close the bluetooth and wifi.  Other than that, Mojo should play DSD256.

Paul

May 16, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #17,699 of 42,765

Is safe to say it is not the Mac Pro end.  The HP there is far more than necessary.
I had no issues using Hugo for DSD128 or DSD256.  I am pretty sure Hugo does not play DSD256 natively.

I would suggest close the bluetooth and wifi.  Other than that, Mojo should play DSD256.

Paul

No problem with me running DSD256 via Jriver to Mojo and I'm on a very old MacBook pro that's been on it's last legs for years running snow leopard.  Make sure you have nothing else running, it isn't mojo.

May 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #17,700 of 42,765

Paul

@ Torq: Audirvana might be real-time processing the data, and maxing the available resources (seems unlikely on such a well-specified machine, but it definitely does seem to happen on quite a few devices).

@ Paul:  Mojo can handle even higher-res files than Hugo, iirc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back