Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #16,323 of 42,759

I'm basing my statement on personal experience. I own a set of Shure E5C IEMs... they are extremely sensitive and with Mojo I almost have to go negative with the volume (unless I want to destroy my eardrums)

Conversely I own a set of Sennheiser HD 650 and 800S... I need to get the volume up in the blue / purple to get them to sing (higher volume = less battery life). Also when I connect via 3.5 mm audio cable the my vehicles stereo system GM / Bose. I need to run the volume up, or increase the line output (less battery life)

In conclusion... I based my rant on my personal findings and no real scientific testing. my suggestion to keep a 12000 mAh powerbank on hand seems like common sense to me. especially if the conditions you listen to Mojo with match what I was talking about and you want to guarantee that you wont be left at the side of the road (see the tesla tie in there?) while on an extended listening session.

I welcome any dissenting opinions and any scientific facts that help advance the cause when it comes to being able to prolong battery life on this little wonder named Mojo

My apologies if my post sounded dissenting. It was rather a sincere question, as I am seriously trying to learn about this device, since I am planning on purchasing one. Your experience with the device and your observation trumps the little info I have gathered here.

I remember reading sometime earlier in this thread that, the device consumes the same amount of power regardless of the type of the headphone. But I overlooked the fact that you would have to crank the volume up for demanding headphones, thus reducing the battery life. And I agree on the powerbank. I already carry a 10000mAh powerbank with me everytime.

How many hours of battery do you get with your IEM? Also, is there a background hiss?

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #16,324 of 42,759
try unplugging for 10 secs then plug it. It should not be blinking ehen charging.

It sounds like the power supply you're using can't manage a consistent 1 Amp at 5V. A lot of USB phone chargers have iffy performance IME. They're OK for charging the phone that they're supplied with, but often don't meet the specs written on them.

Or you could be trying to charge from a USB hub, in which case all bets are off as some of these can only supply 500mA of current per port.

The best bet IME is to have a charger that can supply 10W, such as an iPad charger.

Thanks! Switched to an different charger, meant for 2 ipads, and blinking stopped. Damm Blackberry charger! lol

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #16,325 of 42,759

My apologies if my post sounded dissenting. It was rather a sincere question, as I am seriously trying to learn about this device, since I am planning on purchasing one. Your experience with the device and your observation trumps the little info I have gathered here.

I remember reading sometime earlier in this thread that, the device consumes the same amount of power regardless of the type of the headphone. But I overlooked the fact that you would have to crank the volume up for demanding headphones, thus reducing the battery life. And I agree on the powerbank. I already carry a 10000mAh powerbank with me everytime.

How many hours of battery do you get with your IEM? Also, is there a background hiss?

I took no offense... I just put the disclaimer out because I have offended people with my style of speaking.

my IEMs lull me to sleep at night, but all in all with mixed use I get between 6 and 8 hours... I never have done a timed test, but considering most CDs are between 45 - 60 minutes long... I can listen to at least 7 entire CDs worth of music before I need a charge... In addition to my Senns and the IEMs I have some low impedance Phillips and Samsung headphones... I am waiting for my Audeze Sines to be returned from an RMA repair, but from what I have read the Sines are a drain on Mojo

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #16,326 of 42,759
  Reviews

Before buying Mojo I dove into the reviews here and everywhere I could find them.  I did not find one negative review, but in particular, I did not find one claim of the 'snake oil' variety where reviewers claimed 'little to no difference' in sound quality.  

What makes this interesting is that I read a number of reviews of Neil Young's player where 'snake oil', either exact, or in similar language, was common, claiming little or no difference in sound quality.  None of these reviews (that I found) mentioned the impact of the brain processing more information in the higher standard. (Some reviewers had a subtle negativity about Young and finance, as an issue)

Is this something not generally known among music reviewers?  I recognize that average music fans may not (I had not) so there was nothing about learning curves, or even adjustments to listening to Flac versus compressed files.  

Even now using search I have not encountered a single negative review on Mojo.  

For those long term audiophiles, is this something rare, and special today, or is it something you've encountered over the years?  (is it a 'regular' event?)

We had family over for the NY Rangers hockey playoff game (displaced New Yorker) and I had fun with Mojo, having each family member name one of their most favorite songs in life, something they are very familiar with, and then placing the T1's on their heads and letting Mojo do its magic.  

Each one gave a detailed description of how different this was, including 'the instruments are separated!' and 'I didn't realize that ____ was playing in the background!" and "I never heard this before!" comments.  

This was all untrained ears and they chose their own life long favorite songs.  It was a lot of fun.  I know what they are all thinking....

"Mojo for Christmas!"

good anecdote and interesting about the "snake oil" comment. You should ask for a commission from Chord :wink:

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #16,327 of 42,759

Mojo is designed for mobile use. Even if you plugin to a DC power source. It sill draws power from the battery (mentioned in the manual). In the case.

Mojo has been optimised for portable use, but can also be used as a system DAC. Please note that the design of Mojo means that power is always taken from the battery so, in certain circumstances, you may deplete the battery faster than it can recharge. Therefore it is recommended that you switch off Mojo when not in use so the battery can have a full charge cycle ready for the next listening session. Mojo should not be permanently switched on. 

No hiss to SE846, SE538, and SE215 from my side. In my honest opinion, SE846 is one of the most sensitive earphones you can find in the market (for God seek, it has 9 Ω impedance). Mojo is dead quite even the volume at the max level from my side.

Regarding the battery hours, I will say around 8ish give or take. I never used it continuously. Usually, I listen to a few tracks, then it is off for one or two hours.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #16,330 of 42,759

Mojo is designed for mobile use. Even if you plugin to a DC power source. It sill draws power from the battery (mentioned in the manual). In the case.

No hiss to SE846, SE538, and SE215 from my side. In my honest opinion, SE846 is one of the most sensitive earphones you can find in the market (for God seek, it has 9 Ω impedance). Mojo is dead quite even the volume at the max level from my side.

Regarding the battery hours, I will say around 8ish give or take. I never used it continuously. Usually, I listen to a few tracks, then it is off for one or two hours.

Rob, the designer of the Mojo, says there's hiss with the SE846 (he mentions it earlier in this thread) - so if you can't hear that's a good thing ... but everyone has different sensitivity to hiss and differing thresholds of hearing - and there's a difference between "there is no hiss" and "I don't hear any hiss".

I mention this only so that those people that are hearing hiss with the Mojo/SE846 don't start thinking they have a bad unit - it's just the nature of ultra-senstive very-low impedance IEMs.

I do hear hiss with the Mojo SE846 ... and it's not volume dependent.  It's there even with no source connected.  It's at a very very low level and has never been intrusive. If you use the inline attenuator (I don't) then it vanishes.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #16,331 of 42,759

I took no offense... I just put the disclaimer out because I have offended people with my style of speaking.

my IEMs lull me to sleep at night, but all in all with mixed use I get between 6 and 8 hours... I never have done a timed test, but considering most CDs are between 45 - 60 minutes long... I can listen to at least 7 entire CDs worth of music before I need a charge... In addition to my Senns and the IEMs I have some low impedance Phillips and Samsung headphones... I am waiting for my Audeze Sines to be returned from an RMA repair, but from what I have read the Sines are a drain on Mojo

Cool. Thanks. I only use IEMs and I would have liked 10-11hrs to match the battery life of my Fiio X3ii so that I can put both the devices on charge at the same time. But 8hrs is not bad.

Quote:

Thanks for your input. That is reassuring. One member just reported hearing a hiss on the 846 with the mojo. Hence my concern. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/16305#post_12517963

And also, when I was talking about 'Power Consumption', I was referring to the power it was drawing from the battery and hence the battery life talk.

Thanks for the help folks!

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #16,333 of 42,759

Rob, the designer of the Mojo, says there's hiss with the SE846 (he mentions it earlier in this thread) - so if you can't hear that's a good thing ... but everyone has different sensitivity to hiss and differing thresholds of hearing - and there's a difference between "there is no hiss" and "I don't hear any hiss".

I mention this only so that those people that are hearing hiss with the Mojo/SE846 don't start thinking they have a bad unit - it's just the nature of ultra-senstive very-low impedance IEMs.

I do hear hiss with the Mojo SE846 ... and it's not volume dependent.  It's there even with no source connected.  It's at a very very low level and has never been intrusive. If you use the inline attenuator (I don't) then it vanishes.

Hey, thanks for sharing this piece of info.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #16,334 of 42,759

this is for connecting and coax with 3.5 mm balanced out?

Nope. This is the digital out co-axial cable for connecting the Fiio Players (Fiio X3ii & X5ii) to the Mojo.

I'm in the process of photoshopping the Dyson eBay pics, with pin-out labels, which I'll be adding to the 3rd post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back