Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 6, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #15,406 of 42,758
Hello, would appreciate if you could compare the X7 stand alone to Mojo. I'm using the Mojo currently on loan for about 2 weeks till I decide on my purchase. As far as I remember the X7 when I had it for a brief demo for a couple days, it had more treble detail or rather emphasized treble. But the Mojo, despite sounding smoother and warmer in tone, has a brilliant treble response in my opinion, only it isn't emphasized. Everything seems to sound just more realistic through the Mojo. And yes, I've almost made up my mind for the purchase after the demo run. Thanks in advance, cheers.

I don't have an X7, but I have a Onkyo DP-X1 on the way and a mojo that should be here Thursday.  I was planning on comparing my Note 4 alone, and with the mojo, and then compare that to the X1 alone, and the X-1 with the mojo.  Hopefully that will help you. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #15,408 of 42,758
Is optical cable better than coax or digital? Or it's just preference?

Some devices have static and/or are not properly earthed and whatnot - an optical connection transports none of that as there is no connection that transfers electricity (just light) so optical can help keeping things isolated. If components don't have these problems, it's mostly down to preference. Also, optical S/PDIF (Sony/Philips digital interchange format) is only available to 24/192  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

COAX uses the same digital standard as optical but creates a electrical connection.

Cheers

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #15,410 of 42,758
Has anyone tried the Mojo using the latest version of Apple's lightning to USB camera adapter (otherwise known as the Camera Connection Kit, although that name hasn't applied since it had a 30-pin connector)?  The new adapter came out with the recent iPad Pro and is called the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter.  It has an additional lightning socket on the dongle that can provide charging power to your iPhone or iPad while connected to the Mojo.  Priced at $39 US.  

Yeup it works well with iPad Pro 12.9, iPad mini retina, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 5/6, all on ios9.3.1

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #15,411 of 42,758
Some devices have static and/or are not properly earthed and whatnot - an optical connection transports none of that as there is no connection that transfers electricity (just light) so optical can help keeping things isolated. If components don't have these problems, it's mostly down to preference. Also, optical S/PDIF (Sony/Philips digital interchange format) is only available to 24/192  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

COAX uses the same digital standard as optical but creates a electrical connection.

Cheers

Coaxial will accept DSD128 in DoP format, where optical is capped at 24/192 because of bandwidth.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #15,412 of 42,758
Has anyone tried the Mojo using the latest version of Apple's lightning to USB camera adapter (otherwise known as the Camera Connection Kit, although that name hasn't applied since it had a 30-pin connector)?  The new adapter came out with the recent iPad Pro and is called the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter.  It has an additional lightning socket on the dongle that can provide charging power to your iPhone or iPad while connected to the Mojo.  Priced at $39 US.  

I purchased one at my local Apple Store and have used it with my 6S and 128 GB iPod Touch. It works flawlessly but be warned, the cable is thicker and adapter much larger than the earlier version. I use the new version stationary and the old one portable.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #15,413 of 42,758
Hello, would appreciate if you could compare the X7 stand alone to Mojo. I'm using the Mojo currently on loan for about 2 weeks till I decide on my purchase. As far as I remember the X7 when I had it for a brief demo for a couple days, it had more treble detail or rather emphasized treble. But the Mojo, despite sounding smoother and warmer in tone, has a brilliant treble response in my opinion, only it isn't emphasized. Everything seems to sound just more realistic through the Mojo. And yes, I've almost made up my mind for the purchase after the demo run. Thanks in advance, cheers

You basically hit the nail on the head and described the exact same differences I heard when I had both for comparison.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #15,414 of 42,758
Coaxial will accept DSD128 in DoP format, where optical is capped at 24/192 because of bandwidth.

Oh cool, thanks for that info!!

Cheers.

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #15,415 of 42,758
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #15,416 of 42,758
  Has anyone tried HTC One M8 (with the latest Android OS6 - Marshmallow) together with Mojo yet? I have yet to try the combo due to lack of OTG cable (ordered one, and it's on the way). I saw some guys tried the combo in some earlier posts but seemed the M8 doesn't support Mojo natively, and the combo had some noisy background issue, but the OS was the earlier version. I wonder if this issue has been fixed in the latest Marshmallow OS.

May I know what rom are you on?? I am also trying to pair the Mojo with the m8 but only have success with UAPP.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #15,418 of 42,758
I wonder if the module thing was a bit of an after thought since nothing is built into the "chassis" other than the ports to support clipping or otherwise fixing another piece on.
Hopefully the "CCK House" will be moddable to take the Sony cable too (they are pretty similar in size). Dremels at the ready!

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #15,420 of 42,758
  I have. Since the Mojo will not work with my Lumia 950XL Windows Phone I resorted to blowing the dust off my M8 One and give it a spin. I am using a micro-usb/micro-usb OTG and connects perfectly with the DAC. For apps I've tried both the native music player and Rocket Player which is unlocked/paid for version so it can play FLAC. While I don't think there's a highly distinguishable difference with or without Mojo, there does seem to be more clarity and "oomph" when volume is considered. Overall not a bad combo and I will band these together for portable use when the need arises. My XDP-100r on it's own is just as good with less encumbrance of course.

Thanks for sharing the info. I bought the PowerAmp app which supports FLAC play back. The stock Music app also supports. I feel the stock HTC music player works better when paired with the Mojo, but when I'm using the phone w/o any external amp/DAC, I prefer the PowerAmp.

Now I just need to find or make a better quality OTG cable. The one from China Taobao is cheap but doesn't connect as well as it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back