Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 4, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #15,331 of 42,759
I've been reading up on the Mojo for a while now. I've been thinking about picking one up for a secondary rig for using with my laptop and iPhone. I have just one reservation, in order to fit my music on my iPhone I have to use the down-sample-to-256kbps-function. Just wondering whether using a Mojo would be overkill considering the 256kbps bitrate on the iPhone? I'm thinking of pairing it with my HD600 for round the house use.

I still use lossless on my desktop rig, but I'll likely use my desktop rig more for that.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #15,332 of 42,759
If you use the stock player, there are limitations. If you download the 4-5.00 USD Onkyo HF, you can output high rez from your iphone to your mojo all day long. The stock player is the limitation and not the hardware. Not to mention that the ONKYO HF sounds a great deal better than the stock player too.

Good luck!

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #15,333 of 42,759
I've been reading up on the Mojo for a while now. I've been thinking about picking one up for a secondary rig for using with my laptop and iPhone. I have just one reservation, in order to fit my music on my iPhone I have to use the down-sample-to-256kbps-function. Just wondering whether using a Mojo would be overkill considering the 256kbps bitrate on the iPhone? I'm thinking of pairing it with my HD600 for round the house use.

I still use lossless on my desktop rig, but I'll likely use my desktop rig more for that.

Why do you feel you have to down-sample to 256? I have an iPhone 5s and am playing enormous ALAC/FLAC/etc files via the Onkyo HF Player app, then bypassing the 3.5mm and using the lightning out.

(I have the OPPO HA-2, but have been eyeballing the Chord Mojo as well)

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #15,334 of 42,759
I wish I didn't have to! But I have the 64gig version and my music collection is coming up to 100gigs. Hence the need to down-sample.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #15,335 of 42,759

Why do you feel you have to down-sample to 256? I have an iPhone 5s and am playing enormous ALAC/FLAC/etc files via the Onkyo HF Player app, then bypassing the 3.5mm and using the lightning out.

I wish I didn't have to! But I have the 64gig version and my music collection is coming up to 100gigs. Hence the need to down-sample.

I just manually transfer over lossless albums to my iPhone 6. I mean how many albums do you really need to carry around with you all the time anyways?

That said, I do have the 128GB  iPhone. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #15,336 of 42,759

Reads simply like a storage space issue that the user wants to load most of their library on the iPhone, but will only fit with a smaller bit rate lossy format.

I'd suggest testing the difference you can hear between 256 AAC and lossless of the same files. If you can't hear a difference then there's your answer. Keeping in mind you can pick up a separate player for the Mojo down the line if you find the differences (if noted) bothersome.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #15,337 of 42,759

I just manually transfer over lossless albums to my iPhone 6. I mean how many albums do you really need to carry around with you all the time anyways?

That said, I do have the 128GB  iPhone. 

Heck, I just have the 32GB version.
regular_smile .gif

I manually manage as well. I get tired of songs quickly enough that I don't mind connecting my phone once a week and swapping files in and out, vs just having a massive repository where I can get to any song at any time. Only takes a few minutes so not that big of a hassle for me. And when I've heard the difference between big quality files and 256, I knew it was worth the effort.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #15,338 of 42,759
If you use the stock player, there are limitations. If you download the 4-5.00 USD Onkyo HF, you can output high rez from your iphone to your mojo all day long. The stock player is the limitation and not the hardware. Not to mention that the ONKYO HF sounds a great deal better than the stock player too.

Good luck!

You are talking about iphone to mojo with the stock Music app vs Onkyo HF with no eq and with the same files?

How can there be a difference?

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #15,339 of 42,759
You are talking about iphone to mojo with the stock Music app vs Onkyo HF with no eq and with the same files?

How can there be a difference?

Well first off, the Apple Music app is limited to playback at 16/44.1 whereas I know Onkyo HF Player will play at least 192/24 natively. Also, the sound quality is better with greater clarity than the stock Music app. I will not say "in my opinion" or the idiotic "YMMV" (it is audio not automotive) as all posts are the opinion of the poster so such prevarication or qualification is redundant and unnecessary.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #15,340 of 42,759
Well first off, the Apple Music app is limited to playback at 16/44.1 whereas I know Onkyo HF Player will play at least 192/24 natively. Also, the sound quality is better with greater clarity than the stock Music app. I will not say "in my opinion" or the idiotic "YMMV" (it is audio not automotive) as all posts are the opinion of the poster so such prevarication or qualification is redundant and unnecessary.

I couldn't agree more. Never understood the need for those statements, I can't give anyone else's opinion. I don't understand how anyone could think otherwise, but I suppose to whoever is reading this, YMMV. :wink:

Doesn't matter, seems like 95%, of the people here absolutely love the Mojo. Listening to mine for hours today. Great, great addition to my stable

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #15,341 of 42,759

How / why do you think there's a difference? I tried the Onkyo HF app a while ago but preferred the stock Music app from a UI perspective but if the Onkyo HF sounds better I'll give it another go, do you have any sample 16/44.1 tracks that highlight the difference? Thanks 

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #15,342 of 42,759
Sorry if this is asked, but would it be bad for the battery life if I were to leave MOJO charged/plugged-in continuously for desktop use most of the time?
would the charging cut off when battery is full and continue to operate at line current or would it continue to charge Mojo regardless?

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #15,343 of 42,759
Elijah Audio cable - micro USB connection for Mojo.

Bought one from Mike in Australia; initial impressions.

- quieter backgrounds
- more of the attack, hitting sound on the cymbals
- extracts more of what Mojo delivers.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #15,344 of 42,759
Sorry if this is asked, but would it be bad for the battery life if I were to leave MOJO charged/plugged-in continuously for desktop use most of the time?
would the charging cut off when battery is full and continue to operate at line current or would it continue to charge Mojo regardless?

Please read the third post under the battery section. All your answers are there.

:beerchug:

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #15,345 of 42,759

Not a problem. It will only charge when it needs to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back