Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 2, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #15,181 of 42,759
Does it really make much of a difference with the mojo playing a file at 320kbp compared to the same song in FLAC?

Science would say 320kbp vs FLAC is extremely neither here or there when it comes to the listening experience. I read somewhere that blind tests have shown that nobody can accurately and consecutively tell the difference.

Im asking because i took the mojo back yesterday, put it down to my headphones not being good enough and the files fenerally low quality.

Im now considering reloading a load of music back on my phone and creating new playlists. FLAC will take up far more memory over a few thousand songs worth of storage. Would FLAC be worth it?

I picked up RHA T20i IEM's as an upgrade to my sony ex650.

So would the RHA T20 and 320kbp or FLAC render a better experience, is FLAC the determining, consistent audio quality seperator?

I really wanted to experience the mojo benefits over my s6 edge with sabre android hifimediy dac and cayin c5.

Upgraded audio files with better quality IEM's the ticket to justify the mojo cost?

Cheers

Mastering quality is the foremost important thing to sound quality. Then I think the chain goes 128 kbps < 256kbps <= 320kbps < lossless FLAC/WAV/ALAC

I can't tell the difference between 16-bit FLAC to 24-bit FLAC. I only have one Eagles album in 24-bit / 192 khz and I don't have a 16-bit version of that file to compare.. but every time I listen to those tracks they never ever come across as sounding anything like a 256kbps mp3 and have much better SQ.

320kbps and FLAC can be impossible to tell the difference with SOME tracks.. I have heard the difference on a specific album I own a 320kbps and FLAC version of and can prove it blindly. I wouldn't be afraid to back up my claims either if there is another meet coming up or if people near me locally would want me to put my money where my mouth is.

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #15,183 of 42,759
@esm87 sony ex1000

@wahsmoh which lp is this

I know it doesnt matter and it only matter what sounds good tobyour ears. But i want to knowvif my ears can tell the difference

Pixies "Surfer Rosa" I got from 7Digital in FLAC and .mp3

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #15,184 of 42,759
Mastering quality is the foremost important thing to sound quality. Then I think the chain goes 128 kbps < 256kbps <= 320kbps < lossless FLAC/WAV/ALAC

I can't tell the difference between 16-bit FLAC to 24-bit FLAC. I only have one Eagles album in 24-bit / 192 khz and I don't have a 16-bit version of that file to compare.. but every time I listen to those tracks they never ever come across as sounding anything like a 256kbps mp3 and have much better SQ.

320kbps and FLAC can be impossible to tell the difference with SOME tracks.. I have heard the difference on a specific album I own a 320kbps and FLAC version of and can prove it blindly. I wouldn't be afraid to back up my claims either if there is another meet coming up or if people near me locally would want me to put my money where my mouth is.
Cool, where did you get your eagles album from? I wouldn't dispute your claims pal. Im just on the search for music that sounds amazing on the go. Im new to audio and you read so many people saying x sounds breathtaking and y sounfs incredible etc. I want to experience that lol

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #15,185 of 42,759
What I do is, I use spotify. If find that I really like a lp I'll then go out and find a CD copy of it.

What I'm also doing, since I got the mojo, is subcribing to tidals one month free. I'm gonna stay strictly on it for the month, then go back to spotify to see if I hear a difference. I've done this before but this time, I'm strictly using my LG g3 mojo stack and a new set of iems that I have coming in.

I think the more hours you spend with Mojo, the more brain process recognition and you'll discern the difference.  

Pre mojo, I could not tell the difference any more than 50% guess work.  I listen with Mojo several hours a day working and I am near 100% with much of it almost instant discernment.  

I, too, did the Tidal 30 day free trial and intend on staying.  I was comparing it to iTunes, back and forth, and can tell the difference except where Apple Lossless is used.  (A few downloads) 

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #15,186 of 42,759

I was looking for a simple way to stack my X3 and Mojo and I found out about the 3M dual lock tape. I cut some small evenly sized pieces with a box-cutter and made sure they didn't cover up the serial number. I tested this yesterday and today and this amount of tape is perfect for stacking.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #15,187 of 42,759

I was looking for a simple way to stack my X3 and Mojo and I found out about the 3M dual lock tape. I cut some small evenly sized pieces with a box-cutter and made sure they didn't cover up the serial number. I tested this yesterday and today and this amount of tape is perfect for stacking.

I use that same 1/4 inch to 1/8 adapter. Really need to get a proper cable.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #15,188 of 42,759
@GreenBow, thanks for the reply. can the in built amp of these speakers be bypassed ?

I can't remember if you specified that you had an amplifier. If you do, then the Q Acoustics 3020 are probably the option. Or even the Q Acoustics Concept 20, if you have the deskspace; I think they are about 28cm deep. (Remember you will need some quality recommended speaker cable to absolutely hear the best of them. You'll only get a flatter slightly duller image without recommended cabling.)

The amplifier in the Mojo is not really powerful enough to drive speakers, though I have read it can. Thus I had to mention that. Think either amplifier and speakers, or active speakers like I have. Active speakers mean you don't have to accommodate an amplifier on your desktop. Some integrated amps have quite a large footprint. Something like the Marantz PM6005 was not an option due to its size, for me.

Look up the chain in terms of price too. Neat make some fabulous small speakers. Neat Iota, or Neat Motive 3. Smaller speakers will never have the depth of bass that larger cabinets can muster. However I love my BT3, and this is the way to do it.

EDIT: I just remembered there is an active called the Dali Zensor 1AX for about £450. It reviews brilliantly. However the equivalent Dali speaker with a separate amplifier like the Marantz PM6005 would be better.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #15,189 of 42,759
I ordered a Norne Vanquish adapter with a 1/4 locking female end a few weeks ago that is on its way. I was thinking that same thing. It is the last thing needed to finish my portable rig for vacations
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #15,190 of 42,759
Hey there,
I am also looking for a desktop friendly set of speakers at the moment.
In the mojo best synergy topic the Jbl 305s active monitors are mentioned to work magic with mojo.
And if you don't need active speakers try to be patient and wait for the Elac UB5s before you make a decision...they are released April 30th... At least in the USA... If you think great Elac is a German company, I live 50km from there head quarter... You're in for a bad surprise... German release isn't even certain at this point... Oh I was taken away...

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #15,191 of 42,759
I have the JBL 305s they sound great to with mojo much better than my other DACs.  But they are only monitors I have owned.  

I find I can tell less difference between 320 mp3, 16 bit FLAC, and 24 bit with Mojo than I could with other devices.  I think it may be because I'm hearing so much new stuff even when listening to just mp3 it sounds great.  Maybe over time I will be able to tell more.  But with other DAC's in the past I could more easly tell the difference between formats.  I think my weak link may be my Momentums though.  I need to upgrade my cans.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #15,192 of 42,759
Definitely have to give the JBLs a try.
What kind of cabling are you using?
I have a pretty Standart 3.5mm to Dual 6.3mm that would work, but would be interested in impressions with higher quality cables.
Cheers

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #15,193 of 42,759
Thanks 

I appreciate, very much, detachable cables.  Yesterday, for the first time, I stepped on my T1 cable!  

Also, I have been advised by a vet that the Amazon warehouse IE 80's could be damaged, or who really knows what they have been through.  this makes a lot of sense.  

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #15,194 of 42,759
Would this Charger work make the Mojo charge faster?
http://www.amazon.com/Charge-Anker-Charger-Compatible-PowerPort/dp/B016LO811S?ie=UTF8&m=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&n=2420919011&redirect=true&ref_=sc_iw_c_2_24209190111

I know the Mojo doesn't support Quick Charge 3.0 but still other ppl review said it still make the Charge faster.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #15,195 of 42,759
This topic might be already discussed before but I didn't find one.

Does anyone know the type of rechargeable battery inside Mojo? How many ampere hour is the capacity? What's the maximum watt for charging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back