Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 29, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #14,806 of 42,765
No, much more an insulator compared to good conductor such as Aluminium and would stop air convection to Aluminium Mojo case

So do you think that thin case can actually insulate the heat which can make the Mojo malfunction?

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #14,808 of 42,765
Leather case will retain heat? Hmmm. Interesting. :grinning:

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #14,809 of 42,765
Mar 29, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #14,810 of 42,765
yes, went through the whole of post 3 sub threads pretty much today. Never hurts to re read though. Cheers for the link.

I get where he's coming from, but... theres no doubt in my mind that there should be a fairly obvious detectible difference in SQ compared to my android dac and c5 lol.

Thing is, I blind tested my missus and her brother with my mojo ...... All I asked was they really concentrated on the song, vocals and background instruments, neither could pick up a sound difference in quality. Strange... deffinetley a cool looking gadget though!

But none of you tried listening to the music! How can I explain this? When you look at a painting you don't initially say things like "admire that shade of yellow","what wonderful brush strokes" or "love the frame size". Your brain tells you whether you like it or not.

Similarly with music, don't listen too hard. Perhaps read this forum at the same time. Do you notice your foot tapping or your head nodding? Does the tune continue to play in your head afterwards? When walking along the street is there a spring in your step, do you start singing along. All good signs.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #14,811 of 42,765
But none of you tried listening to the music! How can I explain this? When you look at a painting you don't initially say things like "admire that shade of yellow","what wonderful brush strokes" or "love the frame size". Your brain tells you whether you like it or not.

Similarly with music, don't listen too hard. Perhaps read this forum at the same time. Do you notice your foot tapping or your head nodding? Does the tune continue to play in your head afterwards? When walking along the street is there a spring in your step, do you start singing along. All good signs.

Or quite simply, listen to a song you like and know intimately and then when you play the same song back via the Chord Mojo get instant "Goose-pimples" and a "Cheshire cat" smile !!

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #14,812 of 42,765

All I've done is listen to mojo, then switched between mojo and my android dac with c5 amp.

Ive done everything I can with shat I've got. My hardware and file quality isn't upto scratch and Im cool with that. My IEM are cheapish £50 sony ex650 and my headphones whilst sounding really good to my ears aint high enough quality to retrieve the small details im missing. Its all good I will re-buy a few months from now once I have better quality music files and headphones.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #14,813 of 42,765
For example I listen to alot of oasis, nickelback, stereophonics, kings of leon... where do I find well mastered versions compared to the original album? Im hoping to buy them 2nd hand as it will greatly reduce the cost over new

Stevehoffman.tv is a good place to look for people's discussions over mastering quality of CDs and vinyl. Buy used or new CDs and check the back of the CD to see if there is information on the mastering or if it was produced by a major record label.

I have a few Bob Marley CDs and some are mastered by Barry Diament from the original Tuff Gong label version of the 90s. Barry Diament is known for using some high end components in his mastering studio and I noticed his CDs have a better balance than the reissues of the same CDs.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #14,814 of 42,765

Or quite simply, listen to a song you like and know intimately and then when you play the same song back via the Chord Mojo get instant "Goose-pimples" and a "Cheshire cat" smile !!

Agreed!

If you can add a few precise samples to "Mojo's Greatest Hits", it is fun to go to the actual song and hear the detail afforded by Mojo!  

I am still at Stravinsky's Rite of Spring which sounds like controlled chaos, ominous dark clouds spreading...wow.  It's over my head, but as I use Tidal and different recordings of the same ballet, the detail Mojo presents is incredible.  

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #14,815 of 42,765
All I've done is listen to mojo, then switched between mojo and my android dac with c5 amp.

Ive done everything I can with shat I've got. My hardware and file quality isn't upto scratch and Im cool with that. My IEM are cheapish £50 sony ex650 and my headphones whilst sounding really good to my ears aint high enough quality to retrieve the small details im missing. Its all good I will re-buy a few months from now once I have better quality music files and headphones.

I needed to listen to the Mojo over much of the last weekend before I could honestly report a difference between that and my existing DAC/Amps. However once heard never unheard.

For instance there's a track from Alison Krauss and Union Station called Daylight. Using the Mojo is the first time I could hear clearly that in certain parts she had a male backing singer directly positioned behind her in the mix. I'd never noticed that before and switching to the FiiO E17 showed that while the backing singer was there, it was not as noticeable as listening through the Mojo.

I think a lot of it is not what you immediately hear when switching to a superior DAC/Amp system, it's what you notice is missing when you switch back to your previous gear. That's been my experience over this weekend

I think I need to negate my previous post in this thread saying that I couldn't really hear the difference

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #14,816 of 42,765
I suppose an illustrative analogy to describe Mojos sound might be one of an optical nature, in that some DACs allow one to see/hear 'white', but Mojo allows one to see/hear the rainbow of colours of which white is comprised:

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

The end result still basically sounds/looks like 'white', whether one is using Mojo or any other DAC, but Mojo allows one to gradually become aware of the colours contributing to the overall white whole, without detracting from the cohesiveness of the overall white result.

OK, I think my work is done; I've sufficiently embarrassed myself with failed attempts at analogy, so now it's time for me to shuffle off to a corner and sit quietly, with my dunce's hat on!
redface.gif

biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #14,817 of 42,765
Mython-I agree with that analogy, and I think it's perfect. I tried to express that several times, but failed miserably. Lol.

I think I'm going to use my girls note 3 as a source for the Mojo. My usb jack on my V10 is wonky. I really can't use the phone and mojo at the same time, it looses the signal. It'd be a good test anyway to see if there is a difference.

Broke down and ordered a 3.5mm cable too... Another $100 down the drain.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #14,818 of 42,765
Has anyone done a serious comparison to an Audiolab M-dac?

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #14,819 of 42,765
  Mojo its been for a while now, so what mid-tier headphones makes best synergy with Mojo? Anyone tries AKG K702?
Does Mojo have enough power to make them sing?

I went through a 24-hour session with AKG K702 only and Mojo. I had other headphones available, but only had Mojo for amplifier (on travel).
I borrowed the K702 from a local friend, and decided to purchase the headphones after the session. I liked them that much!

Ohms are not so important, sensitivity is.

I have heard Mojo with 300Ohm HD800 and IMO synergy isn't good. I dont like HD650 anyway. :)

I have now Panasonic HD10 and the sound is a little too bright.

I do not like HD800 or HD800S straight from Mojo. This is my opinion, and there are many others who would disagree.
I know I prefer HD800, and think I would similarly prefer K702, on a tube. Yes - this is adding distortion on top of the Mojo sound. I'm okay with that 
wink.gif

::

The 24 hours of listening did not start well with K702. It took me a while to adjust to the dryness of the phone.
But once I heard it, the clarity was scary good and bass depth was more than I recall from my (now sold) Q701. I can still recall some of the songs I listened to during that session. It was quite good, but as I said, suspect it can get better due to the dryness with a little tube action.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #14,820 of 42,765
Has anyone here stack the MOJO to the iFi Micro Ican amplifier (only amp about $280)?

I feel like wanna get one. Im just curious how the bass will perform. For now im happy with this Mojo but sometimes I want more punch for the mid bass during EDM songs. Micro Ican has Xbass btw.

Anyone???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back