Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 24, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #14,267 of 42,765
About the Phone vs Chord Mojo. I tried it in my car, first the Mojo then Phone, then Mojo and Phone

I could hear the downgrade in sound quality (to Phone) clearly each time. 

Anyway don't take my word it, what hi-fi says this about the Chord QBD 76 DAC compared to some of the very best CD players in this world.
"The QBD76 doesn't always sound easy on the ear like Unison Research's Unico CDE does; neither does it produce rich-sounding or warm results. No, it's all about fluidity, naturalness and the kind of cohesion that only the very best turntables can manage.Most digital players, even great ones such as the [COLOR=0985CB]Naim CDS3[/COLOR]/555PS we use as reference, sound slightly stilted in comparison."

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/chord-electronics/qbd76/review#r3KVXI3iFzSTEUUG.99

Now the Naim CDS3 is one fantastic CD player, one of the very best in the world, which can easily make most turntables sound inferior. Every time I play the Hugo vs my entry level project turntable, each visitor to my home says the Hugo beats the turntable.

The Mojo FPGA is even better than the one in the QBD 76.

So I am quite surprised that some people claim the Phone and the Mojo sound the same, because they don't to me.

The Mojo sounds exactly as described by what hi-fi "has the fluidity, naturalness and the kind of cohesion on the very best turntables can manage"

Which "Phone" are you referring to ?

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #14,268 of 42,765
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay so, I'm stunned. I've listened for the Mojo for all of 30min and I cannot believe what I'm hearing. Song after song, the detail improvement is substantial! And where is the fatigue? I'm listening to parts of songs that normally hurt my ears and caused fatigue and now it's like the edge is taken off, yet I'm hearing more! I'm not gonna lie, when I had a read bunch of stuff about less fatigue and your brain being able to process it better, I didn't think I would actually be able to tell.. But what do you know! And it's not slight. Oh not at all.

I'm so satisfied. I'm keeping this like forever.
And it wasn't like the iDSD didn't sound good, it was way better than the X3, but this is just a whole new level. I'm ecstatic, if you couldn't already tell.

Now if you could excuse me, while I go back to listening... I just had to share!

EDIT: I'm even gonna use the Mojo whenever I listen to podcasts, just because I can! Muahahaha, today is a good day.

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #14,270 of 42,765
I suggest you try, for those that use it through USB, some kind of USB conditioner, like the jitterbug.

I would like to know if it's me that is hearing things, or it's really true that these devices add some magic to sound. With hd800 is astonishing, mojo naturalness is widely amplified!

I'm asking if some other kind of conditioner, like the ifi or schiit, would be even better

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #14,271 of 42,765
Does uapp kill battery? I got it and used it for about an hr on tidal and it drained more than 50% on my v10

Uapp doesn't for me, I use it for 5 or 6 hours per day, and using my phone for everything else, and I come back home from work with 40percent battery. But I don't use tidal.

Tidal uses a connection, and if you use it through 4g it can be battery consuming. But 50% is still too much...

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #14,272 of 42,765
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay so, I'm stunned. I've listened for the Mojo for all of 30min and I cannot believe what I'm hearing. Song after song, the detail improvement is substantial! And where is the fatigue? I'm listening to parts of songs that normally hurt my ears and caused fatigue and now it's like the edge is taken off, yet I'm hearing more! I'm not gonna lie, when I had a read bunch of stuff about less fatigue and your brain being able to process it better, I didn't think I would actually be able to tell.. But what do you know! And it's not slight. Oh not at all.

I'm so satisfied. I'm keeping this like forever.
And it wasn't like the iDSD didn't sound good, it was way better than the X3, but this is just a whole new level. I'm ecstatic, if you couldn't already tell.

Now if you could excuse me, while I go back to listening... I just had to share!

EDIT: I'm even gonna use the Mojo whenever I listen to podcasts, just because I can! Muahahaha, today is a good day.

Congrats on your acquisition! I too hope to go down the same path as yours, pretty soon. 

Cheers & happy listening

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #14,273 of 42,765
He's an average joe with a very sensitive earphone. Mojo has more background noise than an iPhone 6, so there is that. You could definitely tell which is which, despite that noise difference being minimal.

It is unfortunate that the Mojo has higher noise floor. I guess this kills the deal for me. Thanks!
Could you please share the reason behind ur statement ?

what's your source, the connection the iem or headphone ?

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #14,274 of 42,765
Got my Mojo. But why i dont feel "wow"? Somebody explain?

I read later on that a bit of Wow is now being experienced. I also see that most of your music is in 320 have a look at this site it has links to sites offering free samples, sometimes complete tracks and on sites such as 2L you will have the option to download the same track in all versions from CD quality 16/44.1 up to DSD 256 11.2896Mbit/.
Give these a try, this was my 1st experience of Hi-Res files and I have not looked back since.

Above all try not to analyse, but listen and enjoy your music, Mojo allows you to do just that.
Also consider a free trial of Tidal too for 16/44.1 files
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #14,275 of 42,765
Quote:

He's an average joe with a very sensitive earphone. Mojo has more background noise than an iPhone 6, so there is that. You could definitely tell which is which, despite that noise difference being minimal.

It is unfortunate that the Mojo has higher noise floor. I guess this kills the deal for me. Thanks!

Quote:
Could you please share the reason behind ur statement ?

what's your source, the connection the iem or headphone ?

I am also puzzled by this. The iPhone results I work from is 3uV noise - which is the same as Mojo - the design brief for Mojo was same noise (in uV) as an iPhone. The recent review on these pages pointed to a dynamic range of 106 dB for the iPhone 6 - and at 1v RMS output, that points to 5 uV of noise - actually worse than Mojo's 3uV.

So hiss on a very sensitive IEM with Mojo should be the same as an IPhone or actually quieter, but with the added plus of 5 times more output voltage too.

Rob

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #14,276 of 42,765
Mainly spotify. But i will use foobar when playing flac files. But yeah, i realize a bit better sq. But not a jump. Consider $130 to $599 is a big jump but sq is not. Wonder that...

One more, i can't find much difference between 320kbps and flac files too. Likely the same no kidding

This was a WOW factor for me. There has always been a big difference in 320kbps vs FLAC. Mojo closes the gap to a ridiculously small level. SQ sounds similar, dynamics still sound different.
I think you'll settle in and start to notice the Mojo effect soon.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #14,277 of 42,765
  When I was a consultant for silicon companies designing audio chips, we used to have many listening sessions. Generally, it would be listening to small features, or small improvements that I had made - but the whole team would be involved. One engineer, struggled to hear any difference at all, and was self confessed deaf. Another engineer could hear differences, but had difficulty articulating them. The third engineer was excellent - he was as sensitive as myself, and very good at describing differences. Like me he only needed a very short time to accurately evaluate sound quality.

One of the three was a musician too. Can you guess which one was the musician?

Yup, it was the self proclaimed deaf guy!

Add into the mix that some people prefer different types of sound, with vastly different sensitivities, then follow the rule - listen carefully for yourself before you buy.

That said, the tens of thousands of Mojo owners, plus the reviews, plus the enthusiastic posters here talking about Mojo's musicality, can't all be wrong.

Rob 

I tend to agree with Rob

For a compact gadget like Mojo, people often buy online without even listening to it first. I think that's the real concern for me, considering that this is a device for listening to music and not much else. It's like deciding to buy a sports car without test driving on a windy road.

Mojo is pretty good value for money, but it's still quite an expensive commitment unless you're a millionaire. It makes sense to take your favourite pair of headphones, five or six of your favourite albums, sit down, and spend at least a few hours listening to the music. Not just some quick one minute A/B comparisons, but through the entire songs and albums. Once you're fully satisfied that there is a significant sonic benefit, then buy it. Otherwise, if there is no discernible difference, then don't bother wasting the money. Spend that money to buy more music.

There are still a lot of people who believe the Hugo/Mojo is some kind of a mad hype that is made up by media marketing. Considering how many people ended up opening up their tight wallet and taking home the Hugo and Mojo after serious listening demos, it must be one hell of a marketing fad (I want to ask Rob how Chord pulled that off... 
biggrin.gif
), or that it simply makes music sound better.

People often say there are no shops or demo units near their rural farming village. In that case, ring up the dealers, ask around on Head-Fi for a meet-up, pack your favourite headphones and catch a bus or a train and find every opportunity to do a demo. It's really worthwhile. I get PM's all the time about demos, and usually have one or two Head-Fi people a week visiting my house for serious listening sessions. People often spend 1-2 hours flat out listening before making up their mind about buying something.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #14,279 of 42,765
Quite recently I have been to one of the "Linn Lounge" events, these are set up usually with dedicated evening, in this case Miles Davis.
These have been designed to demonstrate the best that Linn have to offer and at this sitting the Exakt Akubarik Active Speakers and Klimax Exakt DSM network enabled player.

Primarily having been wowed by my experience with my Mojo and Miles Davis through all the IEM's and HeadPhones I own. Now there I was expecting to be blown away by the Linn gear.
I mean afterall we are talking about £20K+ active speakers and £8K+ network player. Surely a no contest?

By now you can probably guess where this is going. What I will say in defence of the Linn set up is that it was not in ideal listening conditions and it was good, very good. I would say that this venue was not best suited for solo listening the acoustics may have been all over the place. But at the end of the day
1. I would not, unless a lottery winner, be buying equipment at that price in the first place
2. Would probably need to experience this in a properly set up home Linn system
3. My listening through headphones allow me to tailor my listening experience solely for myself

I did consider offering the demonstrators my Mojo to try inline to feed the Active speakers but I'm sure they would not accommodate this.

I have since been back for a Mozart evening and again comparing tracks I own against those demoed, I personally on these 2 experiences would not have felt like I was missing out on anything at all while listening to the Mojo as I thought more details was gleaned from the music in my own setup.

L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #14,280 of 42,765
Switch to Tidal streaming in UAPP then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've tried t
Switch to Tidal streaming in UAPP then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I use the music feed feature of bandcamp to discover new metal, that isn't going to happen on Tidal.  Tidal can't hold a candle to what Bandcamp can offer and Bandcamp is free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back