Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 3, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #10,636 of 42,759
WARNING OFF TOPIC THREAD HIJACK please ignore if uninterested:

I deal with mastering and mix engineers everyday. It's true that modern music is definitely more compressed, but you cannot compare compression, especially when its part of the mixing process and production itself, with sound quality. An over compressed master will indeed change the quality of the mix, but in many cases, mixes coming into mastering these days are already heavily compressed. This gives the engineers and production crew more of an artistic choice as to how the music hits and is presented.

Now for that bit on vinyl below: (a summary) : vinyl needs to be taken down in overall VU and treble energy needs to be brought down, mostly so the record can play stably. This actually results in less compression on the master, and a sound that comes closer to the original MIX. However, it is wrong to say that vinyl ACTUALLY has more dynamic range. They are just mastered that way since they need it to play with most modern styli. CD and Digital in general can get away with a lot more compression. This is why the numbers on those measurement sites look the way they do.
So if your thinking sound quality is opposite of compression - you'll think the new Bowie sounds bad. Because it is very compressed. But I actually think it sounds Amazing. It's very modern, but has great vibrancy and impact - which is what any good mix needs for starters. It's not meant to sound live, its meant to be an artistic statement in the studio.

I submit the following: (not my words) - but from below, it's not a simple straight ahead story when it comes to vinyl being better.
================
Myth: Vinyl requires a better-sounding master because it is physically incapable of reproducing the hypercompressed sound mastered to CD

Different masters can substantially improve or reduce sound quality. Some have less background noise. Some alter the dynamic range. There are other mastering techniques that can also affect the sound.

There are documented instances of different masters being used on vinyl releases compared to CD releases. A bass note which is panned hard to the left or right will cause the needle on an LP record to jump out of the groove, an early example of this is the song Crazy by Seal which had to be remastered for vinyl with the bass repositioned in the centre stage. Another notable example is The White Stripes' Icky Thump. However, there are also instances of the same masters being used on vinyl releases compared to CD releases. In fact, if you purchase an album produced in the last two decades on vinyl, it is likely that the master will be no different than the one used on CD. Alternative masters for vinyl cost money, and mastering is a significant cost of producing a record. The reason for different masters is that producers possibly view digital media (like CD) and analog media (like Vinyl) to be different in nature, so they might produce a different master for each medium. Some even believe that Vinyl will automatically yield a superior sound, despite the well known technical limitations and disadvantages compared to the CD.
The technical details behind this myth are as follows. The cutting heads used for creating the vinyl lacquer (or metal mother) are speaker-like electromechanical devices driven by an extremely powerful amplifier (several hundred watts). At extremely large/fast cutting head excursions, the cutting head coils may physically burn up, much like how a speaker's voice coils may be destroyed by an excessive current. Also, the diamond cutting head stylus may prematurely wear or break. This places important constraints on the maximum levels that can be recorded to a record.

A very high power output is required to cut grooves with a high acceleration. Acceleration at the same signal amplitude is higher for higher-frequency signals. Heavily clipped and limited CDs in the modern mastering style have more high-frequency content than earlier masters. In general, increasing the perceived volume of a record - whether by increasing the recording level or by limiting/clipping/compression - raises the cutting head average power.

Additionally, during playback, the turntable's stylus has limits on what grooves it can successfully track. Cartridges can only track grooves of a finite modulation width (measured in microns) that decreases in frequency. For instance, a cartridge may only be able to track a 300 µm-wide groove at 300 Hz, and yet only 50 µm at 20 kHz. This also places limits on the acceleration and velocity limits the record master can take.

The most obvious way to work around these issues is simply to reduce the recording level of the vinyl master. That's exactly what vinyl mastering houses do, using multiband limiters that dynamically reduce the treble content of the master, to limit the cutting head power usage.

Effect of vinyl mastering on dynamic range
===================================

A related myth is that when vinyl has a higher dynamic range than CD, it means the audio was sourced from a different, more dynamic master, and that the difference in dynamics will be audible.

It is true that recordings on vinyl sometimes have a spikier waveform and a measurably higher dynamic range than their counterparts on CD, at least when the dynamic range is reported by crude "DR meter" tools that compare peak and RMS levels. The higher "DR value" could indeed be a result of entirely different master recordings being provided to the mastering engineers for each format, or different choices made by the engineers, as happens every time old music is remastered for a new release.
But even when the same source master is used, the audio is normally further processed when mastering for the target format (be it CD or vinyl), and this often results in vinyl having a spikier waveform and higher DR measurement. There are two types of processing during vinyl mastering that can increase the DR measurements and waveform spikiness, thus reducing the RMS and increasing the basic DR measurement by perhaps several dB:

The audio is subjected to low-pass or all-pass filtering, which can result in broad peaks becoming slanted ramps.
The amount and stereo separation of deep bass content is reduced for vinyl, to keep the stylus from being thrown out of the groove.
It is quite possible that these changes are entirely inaudible, despite their effect on the waveform shape and DR measurement.
The dynamic range of the waveform is also affected by the vinyl playback system; different systems provide different frequency responses. Factors include cartridge, tonearm, preamp, and even the connecting cables. A vinyl rip with weak bass may well have a higher reported DR value than a rip of the same vinyl on equipment with a stronger bass response.

Thanks for the great information. I did over generalize and you have brought a lot of insight to the thread. My biggest issue I have with CD vs vinyl is the clipping found on many CDs with elevated levels which limits the dynamic range that isn't on the the same vinyl counterparts, simply because of the restrictions in the vinyl medium (basically, clipping in grooves=bad for the stylus and vinyl playback). As you say, mastered for the medium. This may be a limiting factor in the vinyl medium, but it also helps with vinyl's more 'analogue' sound. From this perspective vinyl sounds better IMO. It's a much broader conversation that doesn't belong here though.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not talking about the clipping from the medium itself, but from the studios creating clipping as a result of the loudness wars. It's known that some studios produce mixes to sound more loud and punchy on an iPhone (for example), but this also often creates clipping in the final mix. With vinyl you simply can not have the clipping or else it would be a failed pressing and not work.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #10,637 of 42,759
  My Chord Mojo's battery seems to go out very quickly from blue to green then to yellow.

I would say 4 hours.

Whats going on?

I timed mine. I had eight hours and two minutes from full to battery-empty-power-off.

It took about twenty hours to charge fully while playing. (Wierdly it disconnects charging while doing this. It will charge for about six hours, then stop and revert to battery. However if you are sat near it, just flick the charger power off and on when you see the white light change. I think is is not normal though and think it should charge straight from zero to full evenwhen playing.)

I have no idea how long it takes to charge when not playing as I did it overnight.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #10,639 of 42,759
I timed mine. I had eight hours and two minutes from full to battery-empty-power-off.

It took about twenty hours to charge fully while playing. (Wierdly it disconnects charging wile doing this. It will charge for about six hours, then stop and revert to battery. However if you are sat near it, just flick the charger power off and on when you see the white light change. I think is is not normal though and think it should charge straight from zero to full evenwhen playing.)

I have no idea how long it takes to charge when not playing as I did it overnight.

I wish I got 8 hours per charge...charging us over when the light is off. Every morning when I wake up the light is off therefore I must assume it's fully charger after charging all night. After this I get 4.5hrs max. not really a big deal since I can charge while listening

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #10,640 of 42,759
I wish I got 8 hours per charge...charging us over when the light is off. Every morning when I wake up the light is off therefore I must assume it's fully charger after charging all night. After this I get 4.5hrs max. not really a big deal since I can charge while listening

i played dsd and only got 4hrs,, and play joox/mp3 for 6hrs,, and sound hiss when charging,, is it normal?

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #10,641 of 42,759

I have seen eight hours mentioned before. What Hi-Fi said eight hours too.. However I have seen a couple of folk at least, say they only get four hours. I think you might want to get it looked at under warranty.

Have to say, I was relieved to get eight hours (playing CD FLAC). I didn't want a problem. Plus my battery charges silently.

The listening while charging might present an issue in summer, with lots of heat. However for us mainly desktop folk if we keep it charged it would never be problem. Once fully charged it never get hot when left plugged in and playing; just warm.

Cables are dangerous territory on head-fi. :)
I can only share my own experience.
Couple of years ago I was experimenting with different cables for an IE80. There might have been some slight improvement in clarity and brightness with a silver cable, but I sold all of them as eventually I found the difference not justifying the price.
But recently with Mojo I wanted to experiment with USB cables again, as the bug bit me. Not many people are willing to pay £30-150 for USB cables, so we don't know much about them. People rather invest this money in other upgrades. So, cut the long story short I bought an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable recently. I found only a couple of reviews online.
In my opinion 3 things are important to be aware before a cable purchase: your equipment must be relatively good enough to hear any difference. Your ears must be educated at least on 'intermediate' level to appreciate any differences. Your budget must be relatively flexible. It is pointless to buy £50 USB cable for a £100 DAC. But for Mojo in my opinion it might worth it.
I did quite a lot of A B switch listenings with the same song with regular £1.50 USB cable and the Cinnamon (£50). I also did 2-3 hrs listening on one and then changing to the other. (Using Fidelio X2 and Foobar with ASIO). I think, with an under £80-100 headphones probably you can't hear much of a difference. With my mentioned setup I did find obvious difference. How big the difference is? Well, it is very relative. Comes down to my above mentioned 3 points.
 I was happy with the regular usb cable. But I am even happier with the cinnamon. The most obvious difference is the clarity. Like some little fog in the sound disappeared. Also more micro detail comes through. Like toe tapping in the background. Which is almost inaudible with the regular usb cable. I also hear the mids more forward and the treble and bass tiny bit less emphasized. The difference is not earth and sky, but it is definitely there. Only you can decide if it is worth the money for you. To me cinnamon is a keeper. But YMMV.

Totally agreed, meaning it's a scary topic. Your post was interesting though, and thank you for taking the time. £70 for the QED Reference USB is a big ask. Especially without an audition, and me not really having the best audio kit to pair with the Mojo.

On a side note, the QED Reference Audio J2P that I bought was worth every bean. I use it to connect Mojo (or previous DAC) to RCA inputs on active speakers. The soundstage came straight forward. The detail level increased. Sounds filled their spaces with more colour and tone. E.g. like vocals can be heard with more reverb, rather than sounding flatter and smaller with a £2 cable. (Some sounds that were generally unnoticed and off centre, were suddenly crisp and part of the whole.)

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #10,642 of 42,759
I'm not one with much $.... The Mojo was a great purchase, I spent all my holiday money on it, and I don't regret it, I still haven't experienced a *wow factor * to truly impress me, but that may be the problems of my iems (currently se846). I love the Mojo and it'd my most prized audio equipment.

I just hope it last about 5 years, what u guys think? I use it about 10 to 15 hrs a week currently

Feb 3, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #10,643 of 42,759
Majority of exotic cables do make a difference but usually it dosent justify the price vs performance ratio. I think of exotic cables as getting that extra and final juice out of your system. Audio is not a cheap hobby and I tend to use all exotic cables for interconnects, power cables etc. For me at this stage, I just feel like my system is not complete with stock cables and would be the weak link of bringing the whole system down. But, if you are on a low tight budget I would recommend spending it all on devices whether it'd be dac, amp etc. instead of exotic cables. Cables do make difference though and I recommend setting your budget for this hobby to mid - high level compared to what one would spend on average with a hobby for an adult.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #10,646 of 42,759
Majority of exotic cables do make a difference but usually it dosent justify the price vs performance ratio. I think of exotic cables as getting that extra and final juice out of your system. Audio is not a cheap hobby and I tend to use all exotic cables for interconnects, power cables etc. For me at this stage, I just feel like my system is not complete with stock cables and would be the weak link of bringing the whole system down. But, if you are on a low tight budget I would recommend spending it all on devices whether it'd be dac, amp etc. instead of exotic cables. Cables do make difference though and I recommend setting your budget for this hobby to mid - high level compared to what one would spend on average with a hobby for an adult.

Do you use an amp in your mojo chain? If so, how do you connect mojo to amp and whose cables? Do you have preferences? Hope you don’t mind the questions, cable are an interesting topic to me especially mojo to amp.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo →AQ Big Sur trs →LC

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #10,647 of 42,759

Do you use an amp in your mojo chain? If so, how do you connect mojo to amp and whose cables? Do you have preferences? Hope you don’t mind the questions, cable are an interesting topic to me especially mojo to amp.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo →AQ Big Sur trs →LC

On the road no amp with the Mojo, just the AK100 feeding it via Toslink and straight out of the Mojo to my K10's. 

When I'm at my desk I run the Mojo output (via a Moon Audio Silver Dragon 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord) to either a Liquid Carbon or a ALO CDM, depending if I want more of a solid-state or tube type of sound. Both are great options, and no need for super expensive cables IMO. 

Cheers 

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #10,648 of 42,759
Is there any difference between the AK100 mk1 vs. mk2 for using as a transport?

I'm thinking no, because the mk2 version just had it's impedence changed to 3ohms instead of 20 something ohms right? the Optical out should be the same?

Also, Is there any advantage to getting the AK120 vs the AK100 as a transport other than internal memory? Has anyone tried both?

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #10,649 of 42,759
  On the road no amp with the Mojo, just the AK100 feeding it via Toslink and straight out of the Mojo to my K10's. 

When I'm at my desk I run the Mojo output (via a Moon Audio Silver Dragon 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord) to either a Liquid Carbon or a ALO CDM, depending if I want more of a solid-state or tube type of sound. Both are great options, and no need for super expensive cables IMO. 

Cheers 

Thanks. May I ask what cable do you feed the mojo with? Is your desktop from the same source?

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #10,650 of 42,759
  Is there any difference between the AK100 mk1 vs. mk2 for using as a transport?

I'm thinking no, because the mk2 version just had it's impedence changed to 3ohms instead of 20 something ohms right? the Optical out should be the same?

Also, Is there any advantage to getting the AK120 vs the AK100 as a transport other than internal memory? Has anyone tried both?

Answering the 1st part, I do believe the only difference from AK100MKI to MKII is the 3 ohm output change. I have tried both and although I personally had problems with the unit I had (MKI) I think they should both be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back