Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 2, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #10,504 of 42,759

John Franks had an interesting analogy about 'burn-in', in his interview, here:

Great interview and insight into the Chord way of doing things. Brain burn-in makes total sense and to think I wasted all those years on d...... and alcohol
Lol
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #10,505 of 42,759
Thanks, Mython. Great interview. I love hearing the additional technical and design details trickle out, like solving a mystery (of how this unit sounds so fantastic). John mentions that Mojo uses 60 DSP cores. Rob has said Dave uses 166. The Mojo's chip has 90 cores, so others could be used for other functions besides the DAC itself. Interesting,y, the Hugo chip has 16 DSP cores. Not saying more has to be better...not saying.

The Mojo, as far as I know uses an Artix FPGA (to keep costs down). It's the lower of the three other models by Xilinx (with Virtex and Kintex being it's bigger brothers). I have worked with a Spartan 3 in the past. The Spartan 6 can be considered a precursor to the Artix 7.
In fact a Spartan 6 (in terms of raw computing power) stands slightly higher than a Artix 7, even though the later has more Logic Cells thanks to the improved process node (28nm). And so we have the Artix XC7A35T for the Mojo (33280 LC) and the Spartan XC6SLX9 for the HUGO (9152 LC). In terms of power consumption, the Artix has an edge here.
It's like getting two cars which both can reach a max speed of 280km/h, one however does consume less fuel than the other and it's engine has a lower HP overall.

Felix :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #10,506 of 42,759
The Mojo, as far as I know uses an Artix FPGA (to keep costs down). It's the lower of the three other models by Xilinx (with Virtex and Kintex being it's bigger brothers). I have worked with a Spartan 3 in the past. The Spartan 6 can be considered a precursor to the Artix 7.
In fact a Spartan 6 (in terms of raw computing power) stands slightly higher than a Artix 7, even though the later has more Logic Cells thanks to the improved process node (28nm). And so we have the Artix XC7A35T for the Mojo (33280 LC) and the Spartan XC6SLX9 for the HUGO (9152 LC). In terms of power consumption, the Artix has an edge here.
It's like getting two cars which both can reach a max speed of 280km/h, one however does consume less fuel than the other and it's engine has a lower HP overall.

Felix :)

This is intense

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #10,507 of 42,759
Just to correct things - it is a 15T that is used on the Mojo.

That has 16,640 logic cells and 45 dsp cores. 44 cores are used in Mojo.

The overriding design decisions were about power consumption, so although more DSP cores are used than Hugo, that's to reduce power, as the DSP cores are run at a much lower clock speed. To give you another example of lower power, with Hugo when I needed a bigger multiplier I used one DSP core with FPGA fabric (logic cells) added to create the larger multiplier. With Mojo, to save power, I used multiple DSP cores and no fabric to create larger multipliers.

Only the WTA filter is different, the rest of the audio path has Hugo code.

Rob

Feb 2, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #10,508 of 42,759
I'd like to share two additional thoughts regarding this interview with John.< Edit: Ignore this paragraph. Wrong theory. My second thought to share came up when John was talking about money and the ultimate reason why Mojo was born. He says he is 60 and has enough money. Which I believe. :) So his motivation was not earning more money, but making people's life better with opening their eyes for quality audio enjoyment. (And making this possible for more people than ever before, with creating a relatively affordable product.)
 In my opinion this is why Mojo is so remarkable. Many great products are made, with only one intention behind them: making as much money as possible. Some of the "better", more responsible brands realize, it is not the perfect attitude and they make a compromise and willing to have little less profit so they can invest into their future by reaching more customers with a good but slightly cheaper product, etc. The fact that profit was't the first and not even the second thought of the creators of Mojo makes this product so good, so successful, so lovable and close to perfection. :)

Third thing I really liked in the interview was the explanation why Mojo buttons look as they are. In the UK there are a lot of beaches with pebbles. And indeed it is a good feeling to play with those warm pebbles on a sunny day. And Mojo buttons actually convey the feeling. So thanks to John's daughter for the inspiration. :)

And thanks to John and Rob (and the team) for bringing such an awesome product to our lives!

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #10,509 of 42,759

My second thought to share came up when John was talking about money and the ultimate reason why Mojo was born. He says he is 60 and has enough money. Which I believe. :) So his motivation was not earning more money, but making people's life better with opening their eyes for quality audio enjoyment. (And making this possible for more people than ever before, with creating a relatively affordable product.)
 In my opinion this is why Mojo is so remarkable. Many great products are made, with only one intention behind them: making as much money as possible. Some of the "better", more responsible brands realize, it is not the perfect attitude and they make a compromise and willing to have little less profit so they can invest into their future by reaching more customers with a good but slightly cheaper product, etc. The fact that profit was't the first and not even the second thought of the creators of Mojo makes this product so good, so successful, so lovable and close to perfection. :)

And thanks to John and Rob (and the team) for bringing such an awesome product to our lives!

The bit that rang so true for me personally and I'm sure it applies to many on here is once you've owned the Mojo there is a good chance you will look to upgrade your existing Kit to match the quality and potential of this DAC. I started looking for a USB DAC/AMP to go with my Shure 535 and mobile phone, within 6 weeks I ended up purchasing Grado SR325e, HD800 and have coming soon ACS Encore Studio Custom IEMs, as well ordering RHA T20 along with Echobox Finder X1's I got as part of their recent crowd funding. Not to mention AK100 as my source for those times I don't want to use my phone.

Above all
I'm enjoying listening to my music again, no matter where I am, home, car or away 

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #10,510 of 42,759
Thanks, Mython. Great interview. I love hearing the additional technical and design details trickle out, like solving a mystery (of how this unit sounds so fantastic). John mentions that Mojo uses 60 DSP cores. Rob has said Dave uses 166. The Mojo's chip has 90 cores, so others could be used for other functions besides the DAC itself. Interesting,y, the Hugo chip has 16 DSP cores. Not saying more has to be better...not saying.

it was always our intention to try to match the performance of Hugo To do this without using as much power as Hugo. Therefore Rob used more DSP cores but run differently to match the performance of Hugo but at far lower power demands. JF

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #10,511 of 42,759
Haven't read the whole thread yet so forgive me if this was already mentioned somewhere. Anyone tried both the Vorzuge pure plus II and the MoJo? I'm torn between the two since I already have a nice source (Ibasso DX80) and am planning to get a decent amp for the pair of IEMs that I'm planning to buy.

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #10,512 of 42,759
http://ameblo.jp/e-earphone/entry-11281447179.html
review of "magic tape" can be used many times for stacking Mojo with Phone 

https://youtu.be/q5XDxiPbBw0

640 yen is just 5$ 
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shopdetail/003043000065/price/

size 40 mm x 70 mm

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #10,513 of 42,759
I'd like to share two additional thoughts regarding this interview with John.

One is the name choosing story. Even though I don't live in the USA, with a little googling I figured out the original name would have been Trojan. Which is also not a bad name, but I tell you why I find Mojo better. (For people who didn't watch the interview, the main reason Chord didn't go for the name Trojan is because it was already used by a big USA brand in different areas, not audio. :) )

So listening to the concept behind Mojo such as broadening the market and producing different additional modules in the future, the name Trojan completely makes sense. They 'sneek' in to many peoples life with a sweet and relatively affordable product, and with additional modules and having these new people on audio market Chord (and other companies) gain bigger purchasing power. Getting back to my point, I find the name Trojan too direct. So I am happy, it was already occupied by another company. This device with the name Mojo fulfills its original purpose in a much better and elegant way, in secrecy. Mojo the little Trojan horse. :)

My second thought to share came up when John was talking about money and the ultimate reason why Mojo was born. He says he is 60 and has enough money. Which I believe. :) So his motivation was not earning more money, but making people's life better with opening their eyes for quality audio enjoyment. (And making this possible for more people than ever before, with creating a relatively affordable product.)

Third thing I really liked in the interview was the explanation why Mojo buttons look as they are. In the UK there are a lot of beaches with pebbles. And indeed it is a good feeling to play with those warm pebbles on a sunny day. And Mojo buttons actually convey the feeling. So thanks to John's daughter for the inspiration. :)

Sorry to say that the name we planned to use was Buddy..... not Trojan until Ken Kessler a kind friend advised me that in the USA buddy was famous a brand name for what every young and hopeful guy carries around in his wallet and that usually stays firmly in his wallet for months or even years if he's unlucky or an audiophile like most of us guys were.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #10,514 of 42,759
Sorry to say that the name we planned to use was Buddy..... not Trojan until Ken Kessler a kind friend advised me that in the USA buddy was famous a brand name for what every young and hopeful guy carries around in his wallet and that usually stays firmly in his wallet for months or even years if he's unlucky or an audiophile like most of us guys were.

My mistake sorry. I have got vivid imagination. :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #10,515 of 42,759

Lol! Well put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back