Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 23, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #9,797 of 42,765
  The problem of muting the initial start is due to certain OS and apps - when the sample rate changes, the data in the buffers get sent out at the wrong rate. When you switch from DSD to PCM you then get a loud bang, or track played at the wrong rate for a period. Now this fault is in the app, its absolutely nothing to do with the DAC.

So to fix the apps problem, if the sample rate changes, I force a mute for 0.5 seconds, so that you do not hear these noises. On some apps, you can force a small silent period at the beginning and this solves the issue.

If I didn't do this I would have people complaining about bangs thumps and music being played at the wrong rate. Better silence than shots being fired off!  

Rob

Thanks sir for the explanation, appreciate it a lot :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #9,798 of 42,765
sorry for being off topic, but has anyone received their cable from @derGabe
 from his batch shipment on January 4th?  I havent received anything and hes not responding.  Im thinking 3 week postage time is completely possible depending on what type of service he used but a simple response from him would help.

DerGabe never sent my cable at all, and answers no messages.
It's been over a month, seemed OK, but maybe not.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #9,799 of 42,765
Hmmm dergabe sent me all 4 of the cables I ordered plus another one due to faulty cable. Took awhile but it came! The last he told me was he had problems with his cable supplier? Not sure what's happening but the cables came and they worked great.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #9,800 of 42,765

Looking for some proper transport for my Mojo as the X3II is infuriating in daylight. So the question is, Onkyo or Pioneer? SQ right out of the DAP is irrelevant as I'll be using it with the Mojo. They both have USB out and two micro SD card slots, both running Android and so on. The Pioneer is about 10% cheaper. Which one would you go for?

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Pioneer+XDP-100R&spos=3

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Onkyo+DP-X1&spos=1

I personally have gone for the Onkyo, not necessarily to use with the Mojo but primarily as a stand alone device. My rationale being the dual dac and balanced out warrant the small differential in price

Currently Onkyo is only available directly from Japan but using a service such as PriceJapan has meant delivery to the door of approx 4-5 days for some users and had it not been for customs and duty I would have mine too by now.

Check out the forums for both if you haven't yet Pioneer and Onkyo
Quote:
  really enjoying the mojo with my trusty old tf10 and hd25-i-ii while on the go, just want to ask guys, the static or buzz occasionally when using the iphone is normal right?

and another thing when using the iphone i noticed that at the start of a song there is a very slight slight cut in the song, only notice it on songs that start immediately, is this normal too? using the same song it doesnt happen when i'm listening to the songs continuously, just at the start of the session... i read something about this on the hugo thread and its by design to avoid the noise etc forgot the exact explanation, wonder if its the same here with the mojo? thanks in advance :)

I am not too sure of the solution but it may be covered in the Mojo Issue solutions thread here

EDIT: Rob Watts has answered above 

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #9,801 of 42,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootertwist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

really enjoying the mojo with my trusty old tf10 and hd25-i-ii while on the go, just want to ask guys, the static or buzz occasionally when using the iphone is normal right?

and another thing when using the iphone i noticed that at the start of a song there is a very slight slight cut in the song, only notice it on songs that start immediately, is this normal too? using the same song it doesnt happen when i'm listening to the songs continuously, just at the start of the session... i read something about this on the hugo thread and its by design to avoid the noise etc forgot the exact explanation, wonder if its the same here with the mojo? thanks in advance :)

I am not too sure of the solution but it may be covered in the Mojo Issue solutions thread herehttp://www.head-fi.org/t/788913/chord-mojo-issue-solutions-threadhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/788913/chord-mojo-issue-solutions-thread

Rob did answer, top of this page. :wink_face:

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #9,802 of 42,765
Rob did answer, top of this page.
wink_face.gif

I blame the F5, I had not refreshed the page this morning and posted my reply.....

But I now see Rob's answer.

But still a good idea to have that link 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #9,805 of 42,765
. Chord's own case should be along in just a few weeks now!

Is this from an official statement? That would be really great, as it can get warm playing.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #9,808 of 42,765
Haha ok, my apologies, didn't know.

Nonetheless, good to hear!

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #9,809 of 42,765
  The problem of muting the initial start is due to certain OS and apps - when the sample rate changes, the data in the buffers get sent out at the wrong rate. When you switch from DSD to PCM you then get a loud bang, or track played at the wrong rate for a period. Now this fault is in the app, its absolutely nothing to do with the DAC.

So to fix the apps problem, if the sample rate changes, I force a mute for 0.5 seconds, so that you do not hear these noises. On some apps, you can force a small silent period at the beginning and this solves the issue.

If I didn't do this I would have people complaining about bangs thumps and music being played at the wrong rate. Better silence than shots being fired off!  

Rob

What I don't understand is why it happens when using JRiver on desktop PC with CD FLAC rips. (Windows 7 PC is at 44.1KHz, and so is the music. I don't even own any HD-audio yet. Though I am about to buy some Beethoven from Technics Tracks.)

It can happen at anytime, like the first music I listen to. Or I can be playing one album, and change to another, and sometimes it happens that the first half-second is missing. (I think it can happen when jumping to another track on an album.) Then if I re-start that track it can do it again, but sometimes not.

The Norah Jones album Come Away with Me, suffers it sometimes. The first track comes in quickly. Yet sometimes it doesn't do it, like I just tested now, and plays perfect.

Luckily most albums have some silence before the first music begins so it don't hear it often.

I don't think I set JRiver up to include some silence play, since I re-installed it. However with 44.1KHz music I presumed I would not have to.

It happens as well with my other music player app Media Go.

(NB. It never happened with my other DAC which I used every day for over a year.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #9,810 of 42,765
Further testing on the charger and cable compatibility. Chosen Anker PowerPort 5 for good measured performance and multi-port charging with Anker PowerLine due to good construction with braid + foil shielding. All are available at a reasonable price.

Case 1: Virtually silent, only heard very minor hiss when ear is pretty much on the unit
Case 2: Only noticeable hiss when you put your ears near the unit
Case 3: Loud whine lasting the only the first few seconds, faint charging noise after that.
Case 4: Loud whine, and it goes on for a few seconds and off for a few (voltage drop causing charging circuit to shut down)

Combo 1: Sony or Samsung charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable + extension cord = Case 4

Combo 2: Sony or Samsung charger + Any cable = Case 3

Combo 3: Apple 1A charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2

Combo 4: Anker charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2, slightly quieter than combo 3

Combo 5: Sony or Samsung charger + long 6ft Anker cable (same cable length as Combo 1) = Case 3

Combo 6: Apple 1A charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1

Combo 7: Anker charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1, slightly quieter than combo 6 directly compared, with no pattern to the noise (always the same loudness)

Anker PowerPort is tested at it's worse case scenario(unloaded), the ripple and spike measurements are better when the charger is fully loaded with devices. The Anker charger have noticeable more steady noise pattern than the Apple charger even with the best cable connected, the Apple charger's noise ripples in loudness and the Anker one is very steady at the same amplitude.

In short:

If you already have a Apple charger handy, just getting a quality USB cable like the one I've tested will yield noticeable gain, especially if you are using longer cables.

If you don't have an Apple charger, getting an Anker charger with their PowerLine cables will yield the best possible result without going to go with a lab bench linear power supply. Having a multiport desktop charager will also allow you to run shorter cables.

Link where I bought them:
Anker PowerPort 5: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VTI8K9K
Anker PowerLine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014H3GKZ4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back