Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #9,451 of 42,759
  I have read every article in this mojo forum, skipping most apple questions and comments, since a few days after it started.  I have fallen in love with the idea of the Mojo, even to the point of pre purchasing the ebay connector for my Note 3 and a small Case Logic case for the Mojo.  Like many of you, I am very Anal.  But I have not, as of yet, purchased the Mojo.

Some of you might ask “Why the hell not?”  The answer is uncertainty about whether I can hear the differences everyone is raving about.  

I am 60+ with mild tennitus in both ears.  I can not hear anything over 12,000 Hz.  Even though I understand that my hearing is pretty typical of my age bracket, it does make me wonder if I would be wasting my money to purchase this product. 

I do have various amps and dacs with various high quality and low quality headphones.  I can easily hear the differences between all.

There is no way I can audition Mojo before purchase due to my location and knowing no one locally who even owns one.  Oklahoma City, OK. USA.

I am asking any current owners of the Mojo who have my age or hearing issues, to please respond with a short note as to what YOU can hear and if YOU think the purchase was worth it.

Thank you so much for your time and advise.

Not quite your age, but have had my hearing tested and I have suffered some degree of hearing loss. All the same I personally bought blind on the strength of HiFi mag reviews but I did not join or read this thread until I had my Mojo for about 2 weeks.
I have not regretted my decision in the slightest, but the jump in quality from my previous equipment was substantial IMO coming from a Fiio DAC/AMP E18. I do believe you will hear a difference

I am just shy of you in years and share age related hearing concerns when laying out money on this hobby. I have been lucky, in that with patience, I have been able to repeatedly audition most items of interest to me. In the case of the Mojo two opportunities to audition it went bad so I ended up buying blind and have not regretted it at all. Read all the good comments posted here, discount the bad, and that is what I received hardware wise. Sound wise, every time I upgrade my kit I find more tracks in my collection with flaws in the recording/mastering. Mojo added to my list... You will hear a difference, just not the same as a twenty year old will. As you can easily differentiate between your amps, DACs, and headphones you ought to be good to go Mojo as well. On a bang per dollar measure Mojo scores well. A worthwhile purchase in my opinion. Once I have done my research I have found that further time spent in deliberations would have been better spent enjoying the gear I was considering. Just lost eleven months on a WA22. 

If OneTallGuy is in a position to purchase this, go for it I say a more than worthwhile investment for most and hopefully for them too

Yep!  I had it in my basket yesterday and almost pressed buy but remembered in time that I am out of money this month!  Amazon make it too easy - they even deliver same day or on a Sunday to fuel your impulse buying...

Hope you enjoy the Mojo!  Let us know how you get on!

Don't you just love that (my wallet disagrees as I have just bought my 4th set of eartips in 2 days)

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #9,453 of 42,759
Hey guys, I got a new OTA cable today (a cheapie from eBay) as shown here: 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281257441784?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This works with the Chord Mojo and my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition but I am noticing a short audio glitch every 15 or so seconds, like a very quick pop/click/skip in the audio.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it likely due to the cable or my phone?  I'm using Deezer and Spotify to test.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #9,454 of 42,759
  Hey guys, I got a new OTA cable today (a cheapie from eBay) as shown here: 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281257441784?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This works with the Chord Mojo and my HTC One M8 Google Play Edition but I am noticing a short audio glitch every 15 or so seconds, like a very quick pop/click/skip in the audio.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it likely due to the cable or my phone?  I'm using Deezer and Spotify to test.

Enable developer options and then enable high performance mode.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #9,456 of 42,759

I have had the Mojo for over a week now and am over the moon about its performance.  The primary use is via my desktop and I set it up with advice from this forum.  I would now like to connect it to my two Android devices, but am unable to.  I have bought a OTG cable and downloaded Onkyo HF Player, as the manual advised.  My two devices are a Vodafone Smart 4 Mini and a Tesco Hudl tablet.  Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #9,457 of 42,759
I have had the Mojo for over a week now and am over the moon about its performance.  The primary use is via my desktop and I set it up with advice from this forum.  I would now like to connect it to my two Android devices, but am unable to.  I have bought a OTG cable and downloaded Onkyo HF Player, as the manual advised.  My two devices are a Vodafone Smart 4 Mini and a Tesco Hudl tablet.  Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Both are likely lacking USB host capabilities, fairly sure the Vodafone handset is. Root and a custom firmware might be able to address that. Can you connect a USB drive successfully?

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #9,460 of 42,759
Sadly this option does not exist on my phone.  Keep in mind that it's a HTC One M8 "Google Play Edition" which means it runs completely stock Android 6.0.

Any further ideas are welcome of course :)

It's hidden by default on all devices. To enable, check this
www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8/faq/2/

And It's a phone issue, not Mojo.
Off topic;
But even if htc has that option under "developer options" i don't think Enabling that will fix this issue.. Try using a different player or check your player options to set the player performance to high.

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #9,461 of 42,759
It's hidden by default on all devices. To enable, check this
www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8/faq/2/

And It's a phone issue, not Mojo.
Off topic;
But even if htc has that option under "developer options" i don't think Enabling that will fix this issue.. Try using a different player or check your player options to set the player performance to high.

Thanks a lot. yeah I enabled Developer Options already but the option simply doesn't exist.  Do you think that the OTG cable could cause this or is it more likely the phone itself?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #9,462 of 42,759
Thanks a lot. yeah I enabled Developer Options already but the option simply doesn't exist.  Do you think that the OTG cable could cause this or is it more likely the phone itself?

More likely it's your Otg connection to your phone ie the USB port on your phone. But before you buy a new cable or phone, try using the otg cable for something else (data Transfer to and from a usb drive) and check if it's your cable. Then check your player(try a different player).

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #9,463 of 42,759
I have read every article in this mojo forum, skipping most apple questions and comments, since a few days after it started.  I have fallen in love with the idea of the Mojo, even to the point of pre purchasing the ebay connector for my Note 3 and a small Case Logic case for the Mojo.  Like many of you, I am very Anal.  But I have not, as of yet, purchased the Mojo.

Some of you might ask “Why the hell not?”  The answer is uncertainty about whether I can hear the differences everyone is raving about.  

I am 60+ with mild tennitus in both ears.  I can not hear anything over 12,000 Hz.  Even though I understand that my hearing is pretty typical of my age bracket, it does make me wonder if I would be wasting my money to purchase this product. 

I do have various amps and dacs with various high quality and low quality headphones.  I can easily hear the differences between all.

There is no way I can audition Mojo before purchase due to my location and knowing no one locally who even owns one.  Oklahoma City, OK. USA.

I am asking any current owners of the Mojo who have my age or hearing issues, to please respond with a short note as to what YOU can hear and if YOU think the purchase was worth it.

Thank you so much for your time and advise.

I'm similar to you. Shortly to be 60. Tinnitus and hearing loss.
I have to say I am sceptical. I have been caught so many times over the years.
No offence guys but there is a lack of rigour to this thread IMHO.
I have heard the Hugo and did not think it an improvement over the HO of the iPhone.
Admittedly this was at a meet and only using one track.
I intend to order a Mojo from Amazon and return it if not impressed. Could you not do the same OneTallGuy?

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #9,464 of 42,759
I'm similar to you. Shortly to be 60. Tinnitus and hearing loss.
I have to say I am sceptical. I have been caught so many times over the years.
No offence guys but there is a lack of rigour to this thread IMHO.
I have heard the Hugo and did not think it an improvement over the HO of the iPhone.
Admittedly this was at a meet and only using one track.
I intend to order a Mojo from Amazon and return it if not impressed. Could you not do the same OneTallGuy?

I heared Hugo and was amazed, not impressed. It was that one thing I would consider true end game.

I think that you should try it again with more tracks and in a quieter place, with headphones you already know. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #9,465 of 42,759
I found myself today on a long walk listening to Joe Rogan's podcast through the Mojo driving my Flare R2Pros. After a couple of hours I thought this is quite silly so I plugged the IEMs straight into the phone. What a difference! Voices sounded so much more natural through the Mojo than straight out of the G4. That was just a silly podcast (well, the Amazing Atheist was on so had to hear it) and Mojo made such a difference. People saying they can't hear the magic playing MUSIC should really check their hearing.

@Dobrescu George get the Mojo already and forget about the X7 as it is guaranteed to give you better SQ and flexibility. I was in that boat, thinking either X7 or maybe LG's V10. However, I can't see myself committing to a phone for more than 6 months and X7 costs enough to make me nervous I would drop it ad break the screen or something. Mojo's  technology is years ahead of anything else portable, is built like a tank (dropped it on my foot, freakin' hurts...) and works so well with my laptop during long office hours. Buying anything else will simply get you second best, end of story.
I understand it is hard to make a decision without testing. Was lucky enough the local dealer here in Adelaide had a demo unit that I could play with. Do you know how long it took to make up my mind? About 20 seconds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back