Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #7,471 of 42,765

No... set the volume normally, switch on normally. There is no "Line Out mode". Starting up the way you suggest will always give 3V output.

They are not separate (there is no "headphone" vs "line out" mode). Line out is exactly the same as turning on the unit directly and setting the volume to the 3v position. It's only a convenient shortcut. So, turn on in line mode, click down 3-4 times, and leave it. You will have 1.8-2.2v and it will be remembered.

OK. I got it. Thank you both for taking the time to make it clear. It's an unusual style of line-out implementation.

@jarnopp I think I need something absolute to get less than or equal to 2V. A definite colour guide or absolute number of clicks down from 3V.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,472 of 42,765
OK. I got it. Thank you both for taking the time to make it clear. It's an unusual style of line-out implementation.

@jarnopp
I think I need something absolute to get less than or equal to 2V. A definite colour guide or absolute number of clicks down from 3V.

I'm not an engineer, but playing around with measurements one day, I *think* 3 clicks down from line out was about 2.2v and 4 clicks was about 1.8v, but perhaps Rob Watts would be kind enough to confirm that. In either case, you should be in the ballpark, and it your setup sounds good like that, the settings will be retained.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #7,473 of 42,765
I'm not an engineer, but playing around with measurements one day, I *think* 3 clicks down from line out was about 2.2v and 4 clicks was about 1.8v, but perhaps Rob Watts would be kind enough to confirm that. In either case, you should be in the ballpark, and it your setup sounds good like that, the settings will be retained.

Thankyou very much for coming back to me on this. It would be nice to have a chart for Vout rms = volume buttons colour chart.

I think I was struggling with the idea of four clicks say for 1V. I thought that would make very large volume leaps for headphones that work at lower voltage. Then I just thought now that maybe Mojo users fine tune their volume on the music player.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #7,474 of 42,765
I just had to retire my Glove A1 due to a fault and am looking to either find a replacement unit or get something different. How does the Mojo compare to it in a nutshell? Would you choose one over the other?

Glove A1 is not the same league with Chord Mojo at all.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #7,475 of 42,765
This is how I hVe my ferrite devices setup, I also have a 1.5ft ling usb cable with a permanent ferrite device going to the mojo. I keep my phone and mojo as seperated as possible. In the pic below, I have one giant ferrite device with a smaller one inside and then another after the pair. I have a total of 4 (3 detachable) in my setup. I took them off old cables I found in my house:

Note that they are right up against the phone.

i need a tiny micro usb otg cable 10 cm only with ferrite anyone know who i can contact to do such a cable to use with my galaxy note 3 and mojo in a neat setup

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #7,476 of 42,765
i need a tiny micro usb otg cable 10 cm only with ferrite anyone know who i can contact to do such a cable to use with my galaxy note 3 and mojo in a neat setup

A short usb with one ferrite will not be enough. I suggest an entire ferrite shielded cable or a long usb cable with a few ferrite devices near the phone. I suggest you get a longer usb cable that will allow you to distance the phone as far from the mojo as possible-this helps a lot. Or just forget about all this and go airplane mode-which I'm not willing to do. I want to "have my cake and eat it too"

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #7,477 of 42,765
Has anyone tried to compare Hugo and Mojo with volume level tightly matched? As in tight at the voltage level (not by ear). Coz I can't catch any difference from the comparison I did this afternoon. (USB input only).

Yes. Not much in it. Certainly for its price the mojo wins hands down. But for clarity, and sheer musicality, the Hugo edges the Mojo. I am keeping both, as I am not prepared to do without the sound quality of the Hugo.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #7,478 of 42,765
Question:

I'm obsessed with the Mojo, plain and simple. I'm lookin to pair it with an amp in line out mode to power my bookshelf speakers.

Any recommendation on amps to pair with the Mojo? Pretty much my only requirements are 2 channel outputs, does not need an integrated DAC since it's being paired with the Mojo, and sub $200. Tube or solid state are fine, although i think a tube sound would play nicely with the Mojo's characteristics.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #7,479 of 42,765
  Question:

I'm obsessed with the Mojo, plain and simple. I'm lookin to pair it with an amp in line out mode to power my bookshelf speakers.

Any recommendation on amps to pair with the Mojo? Pretty much my only requirements are 2 channel outputs, does not need an integrated DAC since it's being paired with the Mojo, and sub $200. Tube or solid state are fine, although i think a tube sound would play nicely with the Mojo's characteristics.

The Onkyo A9010 has got What Hi-Fi in a fluster, and is their award winner at that price.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #7,480 of 42,765
A short usb with one ferrite will not be enough. I suggest an entire ferrite shielded cable or a long usb cable with a few ferrite devices near the phone. I suggest you get a longer usb cable that will allow you to distance the phone as far from the mojo as possible-this helps a lot. Or just forget about all this and go airplane mode-which I'm not willing to do. I want to "have my cake and eat it too"

i forgot to mention the android phone i use it with is only for music as a transport so i am using airplane mode from the start. 

|So if i use airplane mode does that mean then it does not matter if the cable has ferrite in it or not

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #7,481 of 42,765
i forgot to mention the android phone i use it with is only for music as a transport so i am using airplane mode from the start. 

|So if i use airplane mode does that mean then it does not matter if the cable has ferrite in it or not

That's right, ferrite is only for those of us who don't want to use airplane mode.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #7,483 of 42,765
so back to the same question Rob in one of his words to us said that some quality high end usb cables can not be the optimal choice for us as it adds brightness, I did not understand what he meant, and it confused me more, shall I then stick to the 5 usd cable i bought off ebay, or is the look for a high quality short 10 cm cable micro usb-otg worth it

if yes please direct me to a great cable short 10 cm ( 10 cm total length including the connectors  - and is right angled ) to make a neat setup with my galaxy note 3

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #7,484 of 42,765
hey 

a fast question i got an external amp and want to connect it to the mojo   DAC only
what the best connection configuration to use ? where is the line out in the mojo ? 

many thanks

This was discussed just a little further up the page. Here is the Mojo FAQ - scroll down to the Volume section:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/chord-mojo-faq

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #7,485 of 42,765
Just to make you aware on this matter - the Mojo is powerful enough to run either my phone or my Ibasso DX100 into my HD800s with amazing results. Lack of bass has been mentioned in relation to the Hd800s being underpowered through the Mojo. I have modded my HD800s which has improved their lower end performance and have also EQ'd all my music players to find my personal sweet spot. There is no lack of power to drive the HD800s using my sources , my EQ, my mods and the music I like listening to . 
If have owned the Mojo for quite a while now and the Hd800s for years and years. 
I reviewed the Mojo and bought it for exactly the same price , new , and waited the same time as everyone else. I have no reason to say any of this other than to reassure some people out there that I for one see no reason why anyone can't get fantastic sound quality through this pairing 

Likewise, I'm sure there's a pickup truck that could exceed its listed tow limit by many times and actually pull an oversize load. I'm sure one could tweak the pickup's engine to improve performance more yet. But in the end, it'll still be dramatically inferior at the task compared to an 18 wheeler.

Listen, the bottom line is that you got it sounding the way you want, which is great. Unfortunately for me, giving the Mojo sufficient gain for HD800s means an audible noise floor with sensitive IEMs. I tested three separate units in the store today, all had roughly the same amount of noise. As others have said, it's pretty quiet. I'm still on the fence about whether or not it's a deal breaker for me. Apparently, I'm unusually sensitive the issue. Maybe I can use a resister with EQ tweaks. That creates other problems with multi driver IEMs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back