Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 22, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #7,426 of 42,765
  Ok but at that price it's got to have a standard (cheap) plastic core. It will work but not produce as good sound as a glass toslink with highly polished core or a cable with a highly polished fiber core such as one from Sysconcepts in Canada or Moon Audio. There is a reason why plastic core cables sell for $1.99 or so and the difference is very audible. 

I agree with Sysconcepts, but give a second thought before purchasing a cable from Moon Audio...

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #7,427 of 42,765
Guys I sometimes use this electric massager. I have never used it with my CIEM's in or my mojo, do you guys think it would be harmful to the CIEMS or mojo? I don't know how much juice it puts out but even on my tightest areas(lumbar) I can only tolerate about 1/2 it's maximum output.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #7,428 of 42,765
Just to chime in as an owner of the Mojo and also with regards to the "hiss" issue that a number of the community are concerned about.
Prior to the Mojo, I still do own the CLAS/ALO RX MK3-B stack, RWAK100S, RWAK120S, Cayin C5 and Pico Slim. For IEM, ATH-IM02, Supra 2 and K7XX headphone.
With my current IEMs, only the RX MK3 hisses VERY audibly, like someone whispering into your ear "shhhhhhhhhhhhh". For those familiar, the hiss is similar to the black passages in the Miles Davis track So What (Kind of Blue album). The C5 and Slim are silent.
Now on to the Mojo. It's very quiet but not exactly silent to my ears. It's not exactly a hiss either but rather a light hum that's barely noticeable unless you first plug in your IEMs into the Mojo that's powered on and just sit there listening to nothing in a quiet night without any ambient noise.

The hiss issues that some (handful, less than 10 even) have encountered are more of the loud shhhhhh variety and can be audible irrespective of gear plugged in or not. They can even hear it whilst their ears are placed close to the unit. Chord has already graciously acknowledged this issue and have via their various channels and distributors agreed to replace the units, no questions asked. Heck even my unit with the wonky balls occasionally getting stuck was replaced on the spot because they have acknowledged these issues as part of manufacturing and have relayed to their partners. That's the level of service and confidence they have in their products.

While I do agree that these issues shouldn't have happened in the first place but these things do happen. It's what the company does before, during and after the sales that differentiates them from the rest *cough*Fruit Company*cough*. For this, Chord gets my utmost respect.

TL;DR version:

1)Hiss issues mainly due manufacturing defect that escaped QC, Chord dealt with it at the factory and also replaced faulty customer units ASAP.

2) Hiss issues due to noise floor, customer most likely has very sensitive ears to pick up hiss and shouldn't fault the Mojo for being hissy. If they genuinely believe they can still hear problematic hiss, kindly refer number 1)

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #7,429 of 42,765
Please excuse me if this has been already answered. There are simply too many pages to dig through so I'll just ask the following question:

Here's a question for those familiar and own the Mojo. Since the DAC chip is programmable and not off the shelf variety, does this mean that it's future proof and won't be obsolete vs newer DAP's being released in the future with off the shelf chips? Chord can reprogram and change things as needed no?

Technically yes it can be re-programmed, but this is a back to Chord process, so not something we expect to do.

My FPGA designs are treated as hardware not software; this means an awful lot of work goes behind a code update - formal verification, testing, timing closure. On some products this can take weeks to get right for both myself and Matt at Chord. Before launching a product, we spend a lot of time fine tuning and testing - indeed testing takes much more time than designing. 

The audio part of the code is very mature too; some parts of it stretches back over 20 years. For example, there was no significant code update for Hugo which is now over two years old.

Rob

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #7,430 of 42,765
  IE800 awaiting delivery and thanks to your suggestion awaiting appointment for snugs, like the idea of an 8-10 day turnaround.

Impatient????
Who me????? 
rolleyes.gif

It's a sublime pairing with the Mojo the mids and highs are so rich and the bass has real presence. Then Snugs can take care of the fit issues that many of us have found to be a real pain in the posterior

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #7,431 of 42,765

Mojo's "line out" mode is 3 Vrms, so 9 Vp-p. It maintains 3 Vrms all the way down to 50 ohms so it's an overkill as a "line out".

To get 1.7 Vp-p (0.6 Vrms) that you want, the colour is around green. I usually set to blue for 2 Vrms, whereas Mojo's 3 Vrms is purple.

Some literatures mention the consumer audio line level should be 0.5 Vrms (1.4 Vp-p) and professional gear is 1.2 Vrms (3.5 Vp-p).
However, a lot of consumer gear output much higher than 0.5 Vrms, more commonly around 2 Vrms (because higher voltage means better perceived dynamic range), so you might find setting Mojo to 0.6 Vrms too quiet. For example, my iBasso DX80 does 1.6 Vrms.

In general, most consumer audio preamps should have input protection to at least 2 Vrms overload protection, just in case some idiot uses their mobile phone headphone out turned up to max volume to act as a pseudo "line out" on their boombox. That means 3 Vrms on Mojo is pretty high and can clip some preamps on loud piece of recording.

In reality most quality preamps will have much higher input voltage tolerances but the bottom line is that it will affect how it sounds.

I wondered if the Mojo was 3V rms but didn't dare speculate it was so high. (Especially considering it goes up to about 5V.) Maybe that's fine though.

I wasn't hoping for 1.7V peak to peak, because that's half of standard. I was quoting that line-level standard is 1.7V peak, thus 3.5V peak to peak. This correlates to 1.23V rms.

I guess it's right that a stronger voltage signal will give more dynamic range. However input Vrms is set and (generally) what amplifiers are created to gain their performance and range from. I don't know about input regulation but I think you make sense with that.

I think I would like to run the Mojo at normal line-level though. There must be a few of us doing it so I think it would help to know. I suppose since the Mojo defaults to 3V rms, then half that volume would be 1.5v rms, which is close to 1.23V rms.

Thank you for trying though. Thank you for mentioning stuff like overload protection. I hadn't thought of that. Even though I would not want to run the Mojo with more than standard line level out. I'd still feel safer though with clarification from Chord or anyone about what colour to use for 1.23V rms.

EDIT: Also please anyone, does the Mojo know if the Mojo retains its volume setting in line out more. Meaning after it has been switched off. Or when you start it up again, does it revert back to 3V rms.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #7,432 of 42,765
 If they’d optimized the amp for IEM use, hundreds of fools would complain because the Mojo wouldn’t offer enough gain to their HD800s.

Running HD800s from a tiny portable amp is like pulling an oversized semi truck load with a pickup.  You might actually be able to do it.  But it’s never going to work well, as no pickup truck has sufficient power and torque for the task.

Just to make you aware on this matter - the Mojo is powerful enough to run either my phone or my Ibasso DX100 into my HD800s with amazing results. Lack of bass has been mentioned in relation to the Hd800s being underpowered through the Mojo. I have modded my HD800s which has improved their lower end performance and have also EQ'd all my music players to find my personal sweet spot. There is no lack of power to drive the HD800s using my sources , my EQ, my mods and the music I like listening to . 
If have owned the Mojo for quite a while now and the Hd800s for years and years. 
I reviewed the Mojo and bought it for exactly the same price , new , and waited the same time as everyone else. I have no reason to say any of this other than to reassure some people out there that I for one see no reason why anyone can't get fantastic sound quality through this pairing 

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #7,433 of 42,765
Are most iphone users happy with the Mojo?  Going through this thread I've read varying reports about interference with the phone, connection problems, etc.  I've never used the CCK before and am wondering if it's really that much of a pain.  What music player apps work best with it for HD audio?  Does just the basic music app work with it for 44.1 stuff?  

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #7,434 of 42,765
  I don't know how many times I have to tell you guys this....... 

http://www.qed.co.uk/hdmi-and-digital/digital-data/reference-usb-a-b-micro.htm

"Reference USB cable is designed to transmit high definition digital audio between USB audio components (such as a computer or storage devicen and a high performance DAC) with ultra low jitter. It utilises a carefully engineered geometry including an integral Ferrite jacket, electrically isolated power conductors and an impedance controlled data lane to reduce timing errors within the digital signal, for cleaner audio transmission."

http://www.head-fi.org/products/qed-reference-usb/reviews

All I keep hearing on this forum is I want cheap cheap cheap, well you get what you pay for, simple really. 0.3M is as short as you will get if you want a ready made well built cable with a Ferrite jacket unless you can get someone to make a custom cable for mucho $$$$$

and who can make a cable that is only a 10 cm cable right angled with ferrite jacks or ferrite on it

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #7,435 of 42,765
   need your help guys

i am sure many of u who won the mojo have an android phone and some also have an ak dap

so which paring do u prefer

ak----mojo ---- your iem

or 

android phone--- mojo ----your iem

and why

anyone can help in answering the above

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #7,436 of 42,765
Are most iphone users happy with the Mojo?  Going through this thread I've read varying reports about interference with the phone, connection problems, etc.  I've never used the CCK before and am wondering if it's really that much of a pain.  What music player apps work best with it for HD audio?  Does just the basic music app work with it for 44.1 stuff?  

I've been testing the Mojo for several days now. Partially stacked with my FiiO X5 and partially stacked with my iPhone (onboard + streaming, wifi + 4G), and I haven't noticed EMI yet. I've noticed it with other setups in the past, so I think I'd notice it here.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #7,438 of 42,765
  That doesn't mean to say that other people never had problems with Sony or Oppo.  The Xperia Z3 had quite a few issues at launch and so did the Oppo Find 7

Yes indeed, Sony smartphones and cameras are well known for overheating. Some Nikon DSLR's have focus issues, Sony PS4 and Xbox one can also overheat and have noisy fans on certain batches, the list is endless.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #7,439 of 42,765
  I usually use the AK to Mojo, rather than my phone as I have a larger music collection on the AK, and I think that the sound is a bit better, since you get very minor EMI while using the phone and Mojo, but not with the AK.

yeah however i use airplane mode when i use my android phone and mojo so I am just just wondering would it be better to use

android ( airplane mode ) --- mojo--- iem

or

ak---mojo--- iem

for better sound quality, i really hope to get more feedback and why 

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #7,440 of 42,765
EDIT: I just took the 1st gen AK100 off my Glove A1 to see if it behaved the same - and it did - no difference. The hum remains. I think I will check out some of my other IEMs to see if there is a pattern there since it isn't as noticeable with the V6-Stage (but is with Angie & 846)

I just had to retire my Glove A1 due to a fault and am looking to either find a replacement unit or get something different. How does the Mojo compare to it in a nutshell? Would you choose one over the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back