Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 15, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #256 of 42,759
Apologies if these questions have been asked before but I tried searching and couldn't find a match.

I'm toying with a Mojo for both home and portable use. My current home amp is an iFi iCAN (fed from a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC) but wondered how the amp section on the Mojo compared with the iCAN (or similar) in terms of SQ...anyone having experience of both?

I primarily use low impedance 'phones and IEMs including a Pandora Hope VI (8 ohms and 104db sensitivity iirc). The low noise floor and output impedance both look ideal but the amount of power the Mojo packs, and lack of gain control (I think), is a bit of a concern in terms of potentially damaging my 'phones. Does the volume automatically reset itself to '0' when switched off or does it remember where you left off? Additionally how 'stepped' is the volume pot (sufficient fine adjustment for IEMs etc.?) and is there a risk of increasing the volume unintentionally when in use (do the volume controls need a firm or light press)?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #257 of 42,759
  Please give me couple of days and I should be able to post some more impressions given that I have both the ZX2 & PHA3.  BTW, the ZX2 doesn't have a DAC.  Are we talking about headphone out vs. headphone out between the two players?

Thanks for correcting me and for entertaining my nooby question.

Can you please compare the Mojo with the single end and the balanced mode of PHA3? Thanks a lot!

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #258 of 42,759
Placed my order from Custom Cable. Don't have a CCK so had to order one of those as well and that won't get here till Tuesday :frowning2:.

Anyone charging their Mojo from a power socket? Lowest amp chargers I can find are 2 amp.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #259 of 42,759
Apologies if these questions have been asked before but I tried searching and couldn't find a match.

I'm toying with a Mojo for both home and portable use. My current home amp is an iFi iCAN (fed from a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC) but wondered how the amp section on the Mojo compared with the iCAN (or similar) in terms of SQ...anyone having experience of both?

I primarily use low impedance 'phones and IEMs including a Pandora Hope VI (8 ohms and 104db sensitivity iirc). The low noise floor and output impedance both look ideal but the amount of power the Mojo packs, and lack of gain control (I think), is a bit of a concern in terms of potentially damaging my 'phones. Does the volume automatically reset itself to '0' when switched off or does it remember where you left off? Additionally how 'stepped' is the volume pot (sufficient fine adjustment for IEMs etc.?) and is there a risk of increasing the volume unintentionally when in use (do the volume controls need a firm or light press)?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

The MoJo can drive quite a range of headphones well in my limited experience so far. I'll update as I have more time with the unit, but I can't compare to the iCan.

The volume has very fine steps and I have no issue getting the right volume for the Angie IEM or the LCD-2, but it doesn't reset to zero. MoJo remembers your last volume setting so best be aware what you had plugged in to it last. The colours on the volume buttons help so its very easy to see where the volume is at as soon as you turn it on.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #260 of 42,759
The MoJo can drive quite a range of headphones well in my limited experience so far. I'll update as I have more time with the unit, but I can't compare to the iCan.

The volume has very fine steps and I have no issue getting the right volume for the Angie IEM or the LCD-2, but it doesn't reset to zero. MoJo remembers your last volume setting so best be aware what you had plugged in to it last. The colours on the volume buttons help so its very easy to see where the volume is at as soon as you turn it on.

Thanks for the impressions - that's really helpful!

I hadn't appreciated the volume buttons gave an indication of what level the volume was set to so that makes things a lot simpler, although I'd probably just turn it right down before switching off to be safe. If you don't mind me asking do the volume buttons need a definite push/click to change or is a light touch enough (hoping for the former)?

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #261 of 42,759
Surprised no one has posted these pics of the MoJo accessory yet, courtesy of Moon Audio.

Read the blog to find out more.

http://blog.moon-audio.com/chord-mojo-review/

Edit: To be clear, this is a prototype.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #262 of 42,759
Thanks for the impressions - that's really helpful!

I hadn't appreciated the volume buttons gave an indication of what level the volume was set to so that makes things a lot simpler, although I'd probably just turn it right down before switching off to be safe. If you don't mind me asking do the volume buttons need a definite push/click to change or is a light touch enough (hoping for the former)?

Push / click. You can hold it down for continuous adjustment or click for incremental adjustments.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #264 of 42,759
Surprised no one has posted these pics of the MoJo accessory yet, courtesy of Moon Audio.

Edit: To be clear, this is a prototype.

Maybe they are working on a separate dongle to make mojo a portable SD card reader (something similar to tera player).

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #265 of 42,759

Perhaps there will be an add-on DAP module - i'm guessing the SD card reader they described can do that if it has a small display and buttons.. my concern is that it doesn't seem to have a solid attachment mechanism, it just holds itself on the small usb/optical ports.
Would be good to know when these will be available, including the case..

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #266 of 42,759
I think whatever accessories they have planned the MoJo is certain to be a very viable option for a wide range of users. Nice to see expanded accessories already (no matter how far from release) in the works. Bluetooth, WiFi, SD card readers, etc. Exciting times.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #267 of 42,759
The wifi part is what is making me confused, why wifi, dont phones already have wifi? A wifi would make sense if you want Mojo to be a standalone thing long term. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #268 of 42,759
  The wifi part is what is making me confused, why wifi, dont phones already have wifi? A wifi would make sense if you want Mojo to be a standalone thing long term. 

it's to stream audio via wifi from phone/computer directly to the Mojo, without cables which is more convenient. Similar to http://www.celsus-sound.com/index.php/product/companion-one

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #269 of 42,759
A card reader attached to the end of Mojo sounds like a good idea,if files can be played straight from there.But how navigation will be done,using your existing DAP or phone?
So basically the SD card will act as an extra storage option as i see it.
Anyway good to see accessories being made as we speak.

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #270 of 42,759
Further to the volume sensitivity, the normal range is from low volume (red) to high volume (white). However, when you go lower than red it moves in to an even more sensitive range and the volume indicators change individually. In the attached pic I'm lower than the red (low volume) zone and the volume (-) button has changed colours to tell me so. If I increase the volume I get back in to the zone where both buttons are the same colour and the volume adjustments aren't as sensitive. The reverse is true for high volumes. Such a great feature.

It's difficult to capture the true colour of the buttons with my iPhone but it should be yellow for 88.2 kHz, red for low volume, blue for low volume sensitive zone. It looks correct in real life.

Normal low volume with both buttons red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back