Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 28, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #14,641 of 42,765
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously or it's just that my google fu sucks.

But would like to direct this question to Rob or anyone with experience in this issue.

Basically when I play 2x or 4x DSD files, the music tends to pause or stutter. It wasn't good on iOS 9.2, and has gotten worse on 9.3. It happens to me on both Onkyo and iAudiogate apps. I have no issues with files of other bit rates and depths.

I've tried the same files on another mojo and it's the same result. I tried it on a Hugo tt and there were no issues.

Would appreciate some advice on how to rectify this, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #14,642 of 42,765
Agree totally - the sound of a digital file is probably more dependent upon the quality of the A/D encoder than the DAC.  I've converted a ton of vinyl with the most recent version of Apogee's Duet 2 A/D using a high quality analog front end and the results are in many cases far better than some of the so called HD remasters available from the download sites.

Downloaded the 2015 remaster of Glenn Gould's 1981 performance of Bach's Goldberg Variations [44/24 bit] tonight and compared them with Columbia's last CD release in 2002 - the difference thru the Mojo and Grado GS 1000i's  is extraordinary - those A/D converters have come a long way in 13 years!

Since the Mojo smokes the other DAC's I've heard [priced for mere mortals] I can't wait for Rob's version of A/D converter!

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #14,643 of 42,765
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously or it's just that my google fu sucks.

But would like to direct this question to Rob or anyone with experience in this issue.

Basically when I play 2x or 4x DSD files, the music tends to pause or stutter. It wasn't good on iOS 9.2, and has gotten worse on 9.3. It happens to me on both Onkyo and iAudiogate apps. I have no issues with files of other bit rates and depths.

I've tried the same files on another mojo and it's the same result. I tried it on a Hugo tt and there were no issues.

you need power to play those kind of files, your phone doesn't keep up

for exapmple my I7 4710, in powersaving mode, stutters too

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #14,644 of 42,765
To my ears 256AAC VBR is totally identical to the 16/44.1 version.... /snip

256 AAC is 16/44.1 as well. Just so other users don't get confused 16 bits (bit depth)/44.1 kHz (Sampling Rate) is NOT a measure of kbps (Data Rate), which is what the 256 refers to (Kilo Bits Per Second), just trying to keep things accurate here. :wink_face:

Unless the user has an unusual format that has an even lower sampling rate, but that's very rare.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #14,645 of 42,765

you need power to play those kind of files, your phone doesn't keep up

for exapmple my I7 4710, in powersaving mode, stutters too

That's what I thought at first, so I tried connecting my phone to a Hugo TT. No problems at all.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #14,647 of 42,765
256 AAC is 16/44.1 as well. Just so other users don't get confused 16 bits (bit depth)/44.1 kHz (Sampling Rate) is NOT a measure of kbps (Data Rate), which is what the 256 refers to (Kilo Bits Per Second), just trying to keep things accurate here. :wink_face:

Unless the user has an unusual format that has an even lower sampling rate, but that's very rare.

Yeah, I know - I just use 16/44.1 to denote uncompressed redbook standard. Wrong perhaps, but that's me.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #14,648 of 42,765
Yeah, I know - I just use 16/44.1 to denote uncompressed redbook standard. Wrong perhaps, but that's me.

It just gets confusing for new users of such gear when they think the sampling rate light should be different for a lossless format or something like Tidal HiFi. We've seen it a few times in this thread.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #14,649 of 42,765

Don't bother with a format that's prohibitive to listen to, and one which Rob Watts has pointed out the problems with in this thread.. :wink_face:

Try doing a comparison between the same master in 2x or 4x DSD converted to something like 24/96 PCM. I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference. I can't, and I have tested the different formats with the same master on many different gear with some resolving headphones/IEMs. It's quite liberating to know that there really is not much in the DSD format itself after getting past the marketing.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #14,651 of 42,765

Don't bother with a format that's prohibitive to listen to, and one which Rob Watts has pointed out the problems with in this thread.. 
wink_face.gif

Try doing a comparison between the same master in 2x or 4x DSD converted to something like 24/96 PCM. I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference. I can't, and I have tested the different formats with the same master on many different gear with some resolving headphones/IEMs. It's quite liberating to know that there really is not much in the DSD format itself after getting past the marketing.

i understand, i'm not a snob about formats and as u said 24/96 is pretty good as it is – im even happy with 16/44 if its well mastered. It's just that I've been mucking about with the Mojo a bit and am a little piqued. The DSD thing isn't something I intend to go on the long run – that's helluva lot of storage space wasted there!

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #14,652 of 42,765
I'll stream tidal in HIFI and see how I get along, maybe I will learn to prefer it.

Do you personally find any/much SQ difference in the different connecting formats for audio playback?

Personally I do. Before opting for UAPP I tried a few test files to see which app I preferred.
I downloaded a few test files from 2L  choosing the same tracks in differing formats(I also listened to the same track via Google Play Music for lossy versions) and played them all with Onkyo HF, Viper 4 Android and UAPP.
I personally could here the difference, almost in head with Google Play and lossy format to out of head (wider soundstage) with UAPP and the others playing lossless.

Downloaded the 2015 remaster of Glenn Gould's 1981 performance of Bach's Goldberg Variations [44/24 bit] tonight and compared them with Columbia's last CD release in 2002 - the difference thru the Mojo and Grado GS 1000i's  is extraordinary - those A/D converters have come a long way in 13 years!

Yes I bought that 5 disc collection too, great Sony recording. Ripped at 24/44.1 into my library 
wink_face.gif

Don't bother with a format that's prohibitive to listen to, and one which Rob Watts has pointed out the problems with in this thread..
wink_face.gif

When I first started getting into this hobby (once Mojo was purchased) I sought exclusively SACD titles to RIP and DSD files to DL from online stores.
Having experienced problems with playback due to my phones inability to cope I converted most of the RIPPED SACD's to FLAC 192K and yes I didn't notice any difference either.

Well at least now I have a PS3 which I convert back to games machine instead of a standalone SACD RIPPER 
L3000.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #14,653 of 42,765

The problem is the processor overhead needed to do DoP. When Hugo/Mojo sees a DoP flag fault, I force a mute to prevent bangs. Faster processors have no problems.

But Hugo TT should be the same as Mojo. Mojo will also do native DSD via ASIO, and this mode is less likely to need more processor overhead - if you app supports native DSD (as opposed to DoP DSD as both are true DSD formats) then give that a go.

Rob 

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #14,655 of 42,765

The problem is the processor overhead needed to do DoP. When Hugo/Mojo sees a DoP flag fault, I force a mute to prevent bangs. Faster processors have no problems.

But Hugo TT should be the same as Mojo. Mojo will also do native DSD via ASIO, and this mode is less likely to need more processor overhead - if you app supports native DSD (as opposed to DoP DSD as both are true DSD formats) then give that a go.

Rob 

Thanks Robb, appreciate your prompt response! After what you said I went to check my app settings and realised they have been reset after my last app update. And I was so damned sure the settings weren't the problem *facepalm* On the bright side everything's all hunky dory now!

Thanks also x Relic x and Blasyrkh for your input, appreciate the assistance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back