Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 27, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #14,611 of 42,763
Yes, mojo is showing blue whether I stream HIFI on tidal or play mp3 songs through poweramp.

Thanks for the help. UAPP produces better sound quality than what Im currently hearing then I presume. Im brand new to all this, I may read something just 4 days ago but this thread is so active it can be hard to pin point what I've read.

Also noticed my music seems to be clipping quite a bit? As though it stops for a milli second. Anybody experience this aswell? Maybe its because Im using poweramp with this...

Before I purchase UAPP or onkyo player, which one has better EQ? Thanks

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #14,612 of 42,763
Yes, mojo is showing blue whether I stream HIFI on tidal or play mp3 songs through poweramp.

Thanks for the help. UAPP produces better sound quality than what Im currently hearing then I presume. Im brand new to all this, I may read something just 4 days ago but this thread is so active it can be hard to pin point what I've read.

Also noticed my music seems to be clipping quite a bit? As though it stops for a milli second. Anybody experience this aswell? Maybe its because Im using poweramp with this...

Before I purchase UAPP or onkyo player, which one has better EQ? Thanks

If you EQ, then you won't be sending bit-perfect data to Mojo.

I'm not saying you can't EQ if that's what you really want to do, but it doesn't give Mojo the best opportunity to produce the sound quality it is capable of.

UAPP is much more popular than Onkyo Player, and takes Tidal streaming seriously

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #14,613 of 42,763
BTW, it'd be worth you reading some of the links from post #3, in the section entitled 'Regarding software for using Tidal, etc. (wrt UPnP), on some phones'

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #14,614 of 42,763
BTW, it'd be worth you reading some of the links from post #3, in the section entitled 'Regarding software for using Tidal, etc. (wrt UPnP), on some phones'

Ah right ok, I wasn't aware EQ interferes with the potential sound quality in a negative way, I will play with just UAPP, see if I hear anything different to when I use poweramp. I will read them posts you pointed out aswell, thanks

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #14,615 of 42,763
Ah right ok, I wasn't aware EQ interferes with the potential sound quality in a negative way, I will play with just UAPP, see if I hear anything different to when I use poweramp. I will read them posts you pointed out aswell, thanks

I'm sure most of these apps have a trial version available so try them first to see which one you prefer.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #14,616 of 42,763
I'm sure most of these apps have a trial version available so try them first to see which one you prefer.
just paid for uapp, its easier, cheers. Trying to work out how to play tidal through uapp now to hear HIFI quality music. Tidal is playing silent. Reading up on it... All this is like learning neuro science lol

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #14,617 of 42,763
Well.... linked into my tidal account which is a trial HIFI, set the quality to highest FLAC etc and the mojo stayed on red, maybe thats the best sound quality I can get Im not sure. Im tired and its pretty technical for a technophobe. I don't know how to get the sample rates to increase in colour like on my box. I assume they make a difference to the sound quality. I'll try again tomorrow, thanks for your help tonight people, i do appreciate it

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #14,618 of 42,763
Well.... linked into my tidal account which is a trial HIFI, set the quality to highest FLAC etc and the mojo stayed on red, maybe thats the best sound quality I can get Im not sure. Im tired and its pretty technical for a technophobe. I don't know how to get the sample rates to increase in colour like on my box. I assume they make a difference to the sound quality. I'll try again tomorrow, thanks for your help tonight people, i do appreciate it

Cd quality is red, that's all tidal plays. 44.1k

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #14,620 of 42,763
I wonder, there are some people that didn't like the mojo much, did these people push the mojo's performance to what it can be? I can still only assume I listened to fairly low quality mp3 with androids upsampling and it still really sounded impressive. At some point I will figure out what I need to know and will understand just how awesome the performance that's obtainable once playing high bit rate samples etc

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #14,621 of 42,763
ah, ok. Whats the highest sample rate you've listened to? How does it compare to 44.1k?

Honestly, the most difference you will hear is from the quality of the recording (masters) over any high resolution sampling rate or DSD format. Chasing giant file sizes for an absolute minimal difference, if any, is silly IMO. CD quality 16/44.1 lossless (not lossy like MP3/AAC) sounds fine if the recording is well done. Rob has also pointed out that his DACs do very well with CD quality and there is little need to try to play high resolution PCM or DSD (he actually does not like DSD as a format) with his DAC designs.

The reason you want to use a bit perfect signal to the Mojo is because its filters and sampling are far more capable than the source, so let the Mojo sample the file, even at CD quality, and enjoy.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #14,622 of 42,763
I wonder, there are some people that didn't like the mojo much, did these people push the mojo's performance to what it can be? I can still only assume I listened to fairly low quality mp3 with androids upsampling and it still really sounded impressive. At some point I will figure out what I need to know and will understand just how awesome the performance that's obtainable once playing high bit rate samples etc

with the right equipment even redbook (CD) audio can be very revealing and elicit a visceral reaction from the listener. sacd is a layer on top of cd audio that adds more detail because of the increase in data storage of sacd, but sacd benefits from intense re mastering of the original source material also

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #14,623 of 42,763
Honestly, the most difference you will hear is from the quality of the recording (masters) over any high resolution sampling rate or DSD format. Chasing giant file sizes for an absolute minimal difference, if any, is silly IMO. CD quality 16/44.1 lossless (not lossy like MP3/AAC) sounds fine if the recording is well done. Rob has also pointed out that his DACs do very well with CD quality and there is little need to try to play high resolution PCM or DSD (he actually does not like DSD as a format) with his DAC designs.

The reason you want to use a bit perfect signal to the Mojo is because its filters and sampling are far more capable than the source, so let the Mojo sample the file, even at CD quality, and enjoy.
Ok so basically, play my mp3 files and simply disable the EQ? That will take getting used to as my EQ makes my non EQ music sound dull and lifeless. I will give it a go though for and see how I get on. Next major sound upgrade for me now then is either new IEM's like the se846 Im intrigued in or the new beyer t5p 2nd gen reads as though it sounds fantastic.

Funny thing is, I havent used my sony mdr ex650 IEM's much I never enjoyed their sound but the mojo tonight made them sound fantastic. The sound wasn't like listening to ear buds it was different but I cant explain it. I can imagine just how good top end IEM's would sound with the mojo, a major addictive experience i would think lol

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #14,624 of 42,763
Ok so basically, play my mp3 files and simply disable the EQ? That will take getting used to as my EQ makes my non EQ music sound dull and lifeless. I will give it a go though for and see how I get on. Next major sound upgrade for me now then is either new IEM's like the se846 Im intrigued in or the new beyer t5p 2nd gen reads as though it sounds fantastic.

Funny thing is, I havent used my sony mdr ex650 IEM's much I never enjoyed their sound but the mojo tonight made them sound fantastic. The sound wasn't like listening to ear buds it was different but I cant explain it. I can imagine just how good top end IEM's would sound with the mojo, a major addictive experience i would think lol

Personally I don't typically use MP3 as it's a lossy format (information is lost to keep the file size small). I said lossless formats (FLAC, ALAC, WAVE, AIFF) at 16/44.1 which is CD quality. Lossy formats like MP3 and AAC (they also have a bit rate and sample rate of 16/44.1) are not CD quality. Tidal HiFi is CD lossless quality.

I find nothing wrong with using EQ if it brings the sound closer to your preferences if that's what you need to do. It is altering the sound, and technically you may introduce artifacts depending on the quality of the equalizer, but if it's what you need to do it to enjoy your music more, then do it. If you want the most transparency with the Mojo then don't use EQ. It's all up to you.

Edit: Do not try to convert MP3 or AAC files to a lossless format like FLAC, ALAC, WAVE, AIFF, because you won't see any benefit. Once the information is lost in a lossy format you can not improve on it by converting to a lossless format.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #14,625 of 42,763
Personally I don't typically use MP3 as it's a lossy format (information is lost to keep the file size small). I said lossless formats (FLAC, ALAC, WAVE, AIFF) at 16/44.1 which is CD quality. Lossy formats like MP3 and AAC (they also have a bit rate and sample rate of 16/44.1) are not CD quality. Tidal HiFi is CD lossless quality.

I find nothing wrong with using EQ if it brings the sound closer to your preferences if that's what you need to do. It is altering the sound, and technically you may introduce artifacts depending on the quality of the equalizer, but if it's what you need to do it to enjoy your music more, then do it. If you want the most transparency with the Mojo then don't use EQ. It's all up to you.
I'll stream tidal in HIFI and see how I get along, maybe I will learn to prefer it.

Do you personally find any/much SQ difference in the different connecting formats for audio playback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back