Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #13,996 of 42,765
To be honest, when comparing at hi-fi to summit-fi level of equipment, the consensus has always been personal preference over measurements and graphs.
Why I say this is that objectively on paper, Mojo is better than almost anything in it's price range and up to double or triple. However, subjectively, there will be users who prefer say a Schiit Multibit to the Mojo for example. I do have friends who find the Hugo overly bright and the Mojo somewhat bright which is why I can say for certain that audio subjectively will always trump any objective graphs or measurements.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #13,997 of 42,765
Yes, I think most of us (myself eapecially) run away when we see something hyped so much. In recent memory the Mojo and the thx00 are the two products I think lived up to all the hype.

I, when choosing any item, car, phone or audio equipment, I have always researched using mainstream reviews What HiFi in the case of Mojo, Once decided on an item, I have then looked for the best deal and then purchase. Only then do I join the forums. The Mojo was one such blind purchase so for me personally it had no hype to live up to. Since purchasing I have then joined this thread and surprised to hear the majority of contributors felt the same about their pride and joy. The only true test for people is to listen with their own ears and to listen to their music and not to analyse it.

I was impressed by the s7 edge sound quality...
but for 400£ you get:

-better instruments placement
-sense of realism
-timing
-dynamic and details
-capability of driving every kind of headphones to a decente level

I could not have put it better. The S6 and it's inbuilt DAC may be a good performer "For a phone" but a dedicated DAC can offer so much more, all the above for example, plus the ability to be used with your PC or in a dedicated home setup too.
If you were to choose a Mojo all this could be yours for £400
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #13,998 of 42,765
@xtr4, I may be wrong but many so called Audiophiles prefer softer sound which is many a times colored by compression/lack of dynamics and lack of timing or even colored by rolling off highs. Hugo and mojo have changed the sound for better. now digital music can sound very accurate and transparent along with a timing which was not possible before at least for the price point. what more all this with extremely good dynamic range and without hint of harshness/ hardness. therefore some people habitual of colored soft sound may find Hugo and mojo to be bright. ( yggdrasil may be a step towards accurate sound that's why gumby and bimby lovers describe yggdrasil as more detailed ,lol )

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #13,999 of 42,765
@xtr4, I may be wrong but many so called Audiophiles prefer softer sound which is many a times colored by compression/lack of dynamics and lack of timing or even colored by rolling off highs. Hugo and mojo have changed the sound for better. now digital music can sound very accurate and transparent along with a timing which was not possible before at least for the price point. what more all this with extremely good dynamic range and without hint of harshness/ hardness. therefore some people habitual of colored soft sound may find Hugo and mojo to be bright. ( yggdrasil may be a step towards accurate sound that's why gumby and bimby lovers describe yggdrasil as more detailed ,lol )

Well said.

There is something else.  

I wonder if some of the critics are line the proverbial wine critic who is served top shelf wine that he has written glowingly about, but in a cheap wine bottle, to which he tastes and disparages.  

The technology of the Mojo allows for far more data from the music.  I have heard an 'improvement' in my hearing over time with Mojo, going from hearing pleasant background harmony, to actual discernment of the background harmony being a male and female voice.  

I returned to listening to it without the Mojo and it was deeper in the background, and I could not discern the voices. 
I plugged in Mojo and listened to the bass, for example, being distinct, and the background harmony having the male and female voices.  

It is amazing.  

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #14,000 of 42,765
I'm so happy rob replies to my question, this is the type of after sales that leaves an impreasion

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #14,001 of 42,765

Yea I'm wondering about the same thing.  Is there a Desktop DAC / Amp in the Mojo price range that is as good as the Mojo but for Desktop use instead of Portable?

I wonder if there is anything that even comes close to Mojo, even at far, far more money.  I appreciate the honest comments Hugo owners have posted and how similar sounding they are, with some saying that they might not be able to tell the difference, blind.  

The iPhone has become a standard, but if we consider it, it is a phone and a full computer, which is like taking thousands of dollars of articles and putting them into a $600 phone.  In this sense, I wonder if the Mojo is as good as a 25K dac, based upon the technology, though I am unlikely to ever hear a 25K dac! I'd love to hear Dave.  

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #14,002 of 42,765
Also I think the perceived burn in, that Rob mentioned is very real.
I witnessed 3 stages after 3 month excessive use.
IMO those changes in SQ for the better where so substantial that I had to listen to all my favorite albums again... So I think this is important for comparing mojo to other devices.
Cheers

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #14,003 of 42,765
  To be honest, when comparing at hi-fi to summit-fi level of equipment, the consensus has always been personal preference over measurements and graphs.
Why I say this is that objectively on paper, Mojo is better than almost anything in it's price range and up to double or triple. However, subjectively, there will be users who prefer say a Schiit Multibit to the Mojo for example. I do have friends who find the Hugo overly bright and the Mojo somewhat bright which is why I can say for certain that audio subjectively will always trump any objective graphs or measurements.

I think the first part is due to people's willingness and expectation. It's a sensory version of motivated reasoning. Of course high end gear is more emotional, and your experience of that gear (at any price) will and should trump someone's measurements. The thing is: each of us should bow to the facts. Our opinions of gear is just that: opinion. And we can be damn wrong. Being wrong about bass roll offs, or boosted mids (whatever they are I have no idea), and more, is pretty easy to test for. Mojo does, as mentioned above, make detailed and dynamic sound great. It made the top of a number of lists primarily because it does so many things right, and does it all on batteries, and if you have a good unit, in an almost noiseless internal environment.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #14,004 of 42,765
I feel that the constant reviews and praises for Mojo had set me up for disappointment.  I was coming off a well made and highly praised DAC so I felt like with the lofty expectations, Mojo had nowhere to go but down.  

It has replaced my desk top DAC, desk top Amp and portable DAC/amp.  It blew me away from the first listen, with its definition.  That I can discern more detail now than the many hours ago when I first got it, suggests to me that my brain is now processing the increase in data and it is more enjoyable today than it was on Day 1 when it gave me that "wow!" moment.  

It is interesting for me to follow others' experiences in the passing of time with the Mojo.  

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #14,005 of 42,765
  I feel that the constant reviews and praises for Mojo had set me up for disappointment.  I was coming off a well made and highly praised DAC so I felt like with the lofty expectations, Mojo had nowhere to go but down.  

It has replaced my desk top DAC, desk top Amp and portable DAC/amp.  It blew me away from the first listen, with its definition.  That I can discern more detail now than the many hours ago when I first got it, suggests to me that my brain is now processing the increase in data and it is more enjoyable today than it was on Day 1 when it gave me that "wow!" moment.  

It is interesting for me to follow others' experiences in the passing of time with the Mojo.  

Quote:

The Mojo is certainly a great portable but really does not compare to the Schiit desktop DACs, especially my Gungnir MB. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #14,007 of 42,765
@Mediahound, can you pls tell me the difference between mojo and gumby only for the sound quality ?

I get a lot more power out of my Schiit system for one, especially since I run balanced. So it's more alive sounding in general with hard to drive headphones, that would be the best way to describe it. The detail resolution is also higher. But this is really like compare apples to oranges. A tiny portable that fits in your jeans pocket should not really be compared to a big powerful desktop setup. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #14,008 of 42,765

I get a lot more power out of my Schiit system for one, especially since I run balanced. So it's more alive sounding in general with hard to drive headphones, that would be the best way to describe it. The detail resolution is also higher. But this is really like compare apples to oranges. A tiny portable that fits in your jeans pocket should not really be compared to a big powerful desktop setup. 

are you talking about driving capability..am I wrong or gungnir is only a dac without HP output?!

maybe you aretalking about the gungnir + mjolnir combo, that's a quite different story.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #14,009 of 42,765
  are you talking about driving capability..am I wrong or gungnir is only a dac without HP output?!

maybe you aretalking about the gungnir + mjolnir combo, that's a quite different story.

Right. There is no way to actually hear the Gungnir MB without hooking it up to an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back