Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #13,921 of 42,765
  Ok so after listening to a Mojo a while ago (I own a Hugo) I went out and finally bought one.

I am keeping both, as I used my Hugo a lot when outside the home, and the Mojo is much easier to carry around and charge. 

What they both have in common is their unique musicality, and bringing music to life.

That last part, bringing music to life is not as easy as it sounds. For me average or mediocre digital sources have this "dead" (no emotion in the music) quality to them, but not Hugo or Mojo. 

Mojo and Hugo have that "stressless" sound (i.e. no listening fatigue) that I have only heard from vinyl and live music. Listening to music on poor digital sources gets boring by comparison. Mojo sounds effortless, like the way a real musical instrument sounds.

The common feature of the Hugo and Mojo is the FPGA which allows much better digital filtering which then renders the transient of music properly. It is easily heard when playing tracks that contain Piano, and also with fast rhythmic music, it latches on to the beat of the music, in a way I have only previously heard with hi-end expensive Naim equipment.

They both sound similar with some differences (Mojo is warmer and Smoother - Hugo is open and more detailed).

Obviously the Hugo has some advantages at a higher price (RCA connectors - for audiophile cables), longer battery life, slightly (to my ears- but dependent on taste some might prefer Mojo) better sound quality, Bluetooth, last but not least the very good crossfeed function but I am quite happy with the mobility and portability of Mojo.

Mojo with very minor accommodation can use RCA connectors/ audiophile cables  just fine.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #13,922 of 42,765
What do you mean by minor accommodation? I thought of using something like Audioquest Big Sure 3.5 to twin RCA.
Or is there a better alternative?
I.e. is there a high quality adapter for 3.5mm to female twin RCA so I could use SVS RCA cables for example?

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #13,923 of 42,765
ok, today I tested my final Desktop rig...

Jriver-> AQ Jitterbug -> AQ Pearl ->Mojo -> AQ jack to RCA -> AQ diamondback -> Yaqin 300b -> resistor divider(?) -> HD800

from what I was amazed, was the Jitterbug....I tried it only with the phone and I was slightly skeptic....with the final rig it took the mojo to another level

with the phone (and IE80) it was just like slightly amped bass and smoother mids/highs

with the desktop rig I get more pronounced spacial representation, with more defined "sound contours"...slightly bumped more articulate bass and smoother highs, more...analog(??) sound, and better PRAT....

maybe the only drawback is that the sound seems, how can I say, darker, more matherial....but it's the best sound for the HD800s character

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #13,924 of 42,765
audi0nick128:

Using 3.5 to RCA's is available with many "audiophile" cables and while that is one solution, I prefer the 3.5mm mini-plug: 

http://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-3-5mm-Mini-Plug-to-2-RCA-Adapter-Hard/dp/B003VJX2F2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1458588016&sr=8-17&keywords=audioquest+rca

The above has the advantage that you can use your existing cables and not break your "loom" and you can experiment, as I have done, with many different cables for interesting system matches with different componants and giving different sound while still enjoying the Mojo musicality.

Mar 21, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #13,925 of 42,765
Its strange guys, some people people are claiming this mojo is actually letting people hear the voice of god doing a rendition of 2pacs hail mary in gospel style way! (Not really) Others are like the post above... strange. Im meant to be going to the store to test it today but missus needs the car for next three days.

Not exactly -- there is no equivalency between the two opinions.  Because those who love the Mojo number about a million people while those who are somewhat (and it's usually only somewhat) ambivalent or negative number about 3. (Just an "approximation.") And those who love the Mojo include every audiophile magazine that I have seen, both in print and online, including Stereophille, and other well-respected publications. And the vast vast vast majority of those on this forum. Including me.

There will always be naysayers about anything in this world, even if they are acting in good faith and it's their honest opinion. It's your job to determine if they are credible and to arrive at an accurate determination of the value of the product.  One way to do this is to see who is making the judgment and to see how many of each opinion there are. In looking at reviews my rule of thumb is that if there are 9 positives for every negative, then I'll discount the negatives since the overwhelming majority think positively about the product. 

For the Mojo, I have never seen such an overwhelmingly positive opinion about a product. At least 1,000,000 positives against 3 negatives. (Just an approximation.) And those positive opinions include gushing, foaming at the mouth raves.

It's not even close. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #13,926 of 42,765
not in the room , maybe in your "headroom", but yes
think i get you. Just been reading up on the t5p.2, how do you think the mojo would pair with it. Ive read its soundstage sounds 3d and spacious etc. Combine that with mojo qualities, I think thats the experience ive been after for my rock music. I was going to richer sounds today to pick up a pair of se846 but after reading about the t5p 2nd gen its got me second guessing due to the specific, in the studio kind of sound im after...

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #13,927 of 42,765
think i get you. Just been reading up on the t5p.2, how do you think the mojo would pair with it. Ive read its soundstage sounds 3d and spacious etc. Combine that with mojo qualities, I think thats the experience ive been after for my rock music. I was going to richer sounds today to pick up a pair of se846 but after reading about the t5p 2nd gen its got me second guessing due to the specific, in the studio kind of sound im after...

T5p2 pairs very well with mojo.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #13,928 of 42,765
I finally tried the Mojo with my new HD800 S today. It sounds quite nice. :)

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #13,929 of 42,765
Is that purposfully a low enthusiastic opinion :grinning:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #13,930 of 42,765
I'd assume you really mean .... Amazing !!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #13,931 of 42,765
Are there any cases on Amazon that fit the Mojo nicely? I'm surprised it didn't at least come with some sort of slipcase or something. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #13,933 of 42,765
Is that purposefully a low enthusiastic opinion :grinning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkDpwF6-QiA
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #13,934 of 42,765
Mar 21, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #13,935 of 42,765

sorry I can't help....i never heard the t5p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back