Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 17, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #13,561 of 42,759
Just a quick report on interference. Im getting a faint to moderate crackling type interference when paired with my S6, similar to a poor connection/dodgy interconnect only that it disappears completely when i select airplane mode.

Turning the radios off one by one seems to suggest that wifi and 3g/4g affect it most, followed by 2g and lastly bluetooth which doesn't seem to cause any interference.

Looks like I'll be listening in airplane mode from now on. I'm tempted to get one of those cheap Android phones with SD slot as a transport now I know it can feed the Mojo with unadulterated bits :p

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #13,562 of 42,759
FYI, you can't try just 'the DAC part of the Mojo'. The analogue output doesn't have any opamps like most portable setups and the Mojo output is very clean. Think of the Mojo as a full time line out from the DAC. The line level is just a shortcut to 3V output level, no hardware is bypassed.

Ok Got it. Thanks for clarifying it. I was a bit confused on this front.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #13,563 of 42,759
Just a quick report on interference. Im getting a faint to moderate crackling type interference when paired with my S6, similar to a poor connection/dodgy interconnect only that it disappears completely when i select airplane mode.

Turning the radios off one by one seems to suggest that wifi and 3g/4g affect it most, followed by 2g and lastly bluetooth which doesn't seem to cause any interference.

Looks like I'll be listening in airplane mode from now on. I'm tempted to get one of those cheap Android phones with SD slot as a transport now I know it can feed the Mojo with unadulterated bits :p

Yes, this is very common and it's covered plenty in this thread. If you read around Head Fi long enough you'll read about many devices from other manufacturers getting interference from WiFi, and cel network RF with their audio gear as well, so your conclusion of a different device for a transport is a wise decision. Some get no RF noise while others hear it with everything. Unfortunately it doesn't help if you want to stream audio.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #13,564 of 42,759

I cancelled my Tidal sub and have all but forgotten use of mojo with cellphone for the interference issues i was experiencing. Doesn't bother me overly, but I would have liked to have been able to go on with Tidal. Lovely sound, via PC and great choice of course!

I contacted the makers of UAPP to see if they would be implementing integration of Tidal offline mode, but alas it's not possible due to the encrypted files Tidal uses.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #13,565 of 42,759
  Thank for taking time to give me the impressions, I am indeed grateful to you. So in a way Mojo compliments the Hd800 pretty well. Did you also try out just the DAC part of the mojo with a different amp besides vahalla2. How did it sound. The reason of listening to HD from any part of the house than being restricted to the desktop is what made me think of the mojo. Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, nope! I've not had a good listen to other amps and am probably not in a position to comment on other pairings sorry. Suffice to say, I am extremely contented with what I'm using now! :)

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #13,566 of 42,759
Your own experience and ears are all you need. If you are not able to demo in-store, you could try ordering online as you will have "Distant Selling" protection and should be able to return within a set period of time. Can I ask how will you be using the Mojo? I ask because if you do intend to order online it may be wise to obtain your interconnects first.

The Mojo was built to a cost and to do this minimal accessories were included. To have included all the cables you require would have meant them not meeting that target.

PS you weren't serious about this were you?

1. USB Micro - USB Micro

2. USB Micro - USB Mini

3. USB Micro - USB Type A
3. USB Micro - USB Type B
4. USB Micro - USB Type C
5. USB Micro - USB 3.0 (ie Samsung Galaxy Note 3)
4. USB Micro - Apple CCK

Were you really expecting all these to have been included?
:basshead:

Connecting USB Type C can cause no end of searching and compromises.

I have found Micro USB - USB Type C connectors but none shorter than 500mm. My easiest but not most elegant solution was the included USB OTG Male to USB Type C OTG Female.

There are other solutions available but much searching required.

PS. What USB-C adapter do you have? I tried so many and none worked in OTG, they may charge your device but unless they have been improved I do not believe all of them work for OTG. YMMV

You may need to use an app such as Onkyo HF Player or my personal favourite UAPP to get the correct sampling rates, for some reason Android tends to upsample generally with only a few exceptions out there.

yes i will be able to demo instore within the week. S6 edge plus will be my source. Thanks for reply

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #13,567 of 42,759
I cancelled my Tidal sub and have all but forgotten use of mojo with cellphone for the interference issues i was experiencing. Doesn't bother me overly, but I would have liked to have been able to go on with Tidal. Lovely sound, via PC and great choice of course!

I contacted the makers of UAPP to see if they would be implementing integration of Tidal offline mode, but alas it's not possible due to the encrypted files Tidal uses.

Was there a problem with the output of the Tidal app's own player of offline files? I find it fine for offline listening on my phone. I know it gets upsampled by Android, but as i mentioned above, without a critical comparison I've not got many complaints. It's certainly fine for discovering albums, at least to my ears.

The only problem I've come across is that UAPP hogs the USB permissions, which makes it tricky sometimes to switch between the two.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #13,568 of 42,759
Was there a problem with the output of the Tidal app's own player of offline files? I find it fine for offline listening on my phone. I know it gets upsampled by Android, but as i mentioned above, without a critical comparison I've not got many complaints. It's certainly fine for discovering albums, at least to my ears.

The only problem I've come across is that UAPP hogs the USB permissions, which makes it tricky sometimes to switch between the two.

I've never been able to get output from any of my phones (S4 S5 S6 edge+) via Mojo other than using UAPP.

If I could play via tidal direct through mojo, I'd have no worries! 100% agree with you on that.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #13,569 of 42,759
Tried looking around the 3rd post, I have a 2.4 amp USB charger.
I guess MOJO will regulate to the point it can take and would that be around 2 ampers/amps max ? The words amps overlaps with amplifier searching the thread, so excuse if it has come up.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #13,570 of 42,759
  Tried looking around the 3rd post, I have a 2.4 amp USB charger.
I guess MOJO will regulate to the point it can take and would that be around 2 ampers/amps max ? The words amps overlaps with amplifier searching the thread, so excuse if it has come up.

A 2.4 amp charger will work absolutely fine with Mojo.

100%.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #13,571 of 42,759
  Anyone. I am still looking for an answer please.

I prefer my Mojo to the Burson Conductor I used to have, although the Mojo works even better IMO for full-size cans (I use LCD-3's) if it is put through a quality amp. I use the Mojo with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the ALO CDM. Cheers

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #13,572 of 42,759
I've never been able to get output from any of my phones (S4 S5 S6 edge+) via Mojo other than using UAPP.

If I could play via tidal direct through mojo, I'd have no worries! 100% agree with you on that.

I'm outputting to the Mojo direct from Tidal at the moment on a stock S6 Edge. It may be that UAPP is conflicting with Android, as it takes control of the USB output.

Try uninstalling UAPP temporarily, as well as any other apps you might have that output via USB. I do have Sound About installed which gives you control over USB output, Ill try uninstalling that to see if it's that which is making the difference.

I'm looking for an easy way to avoid the conflict at the moment, as simply closing UAPP doesn't seem to return the USB port to the phone (and hence Tidal) for me.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #13,573 of 42,759

1 Mojo 3.5mm headphone output to 2 RCAs

This may also be relevant for people whose active speakers have XLR inputs, only:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-is-super-amazingly-awesome/4650#post_12067131

One thing to add to this. I used to use on of these, (but longer).

The sound was OK with my Q Acoustics BT3, from the Mojo. However when I bought a quality recommended cable, the QED Reference Audio J2P, the sound was much improved. Many issues were dealt with. My BT3 are now very acceptable desktop speakers, (with foam under the speakers to stop booming). Plus I bought Chord Clearway to connect the active speaker to the passive speaker.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #13,574 of 42,759
  I prefer my Mojo to the Burson Conductor I used to have, although the Mojo works even better IMO for full-size cans (I use LCD-3's) if it is put through a quality amp. I use the Mojo with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the ALO CDM. Cheers

Thats great. Now I am getting more confident towards the Mojo

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #13,575 of 42,759
Im seriously considering putting my mojo up for sale, i spent a good hour listening back n forth between it and my Concero HP. They both sound pretty bloody close! The HP throws out a bigger sound while the mojo sounds compressed, thats the biggest stand out. Making it alot harder to decide. I can laze around with the mojo over being stuck at my computer with the HP. Now the WA8 is out.. ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back