Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #13,337 of 42,765
Hi , do you think that the MOJO via Line Out 3V pairing xith the Burson Soloist SL will be better then the MOJO alone  ? It is for the Audeze LCD2 f . Thanks in advance

best is to use mojo as it is

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #13,339 of 42,765
Got my Chord Mojo in earlier today, and have been listening to them for about 3-4 hours after they fully charged.

When I first got it in the mail, I was a little taken back. I thought the thing was supposed to be small, but didn't expect it to be THAT small! In my mind I was thinking, I paid $600...and it's this small. My Lyr was like $370 and was this big steel amp w/tubes, so I had been trained to expect really big things the higher the price range. But then I picked up the Mojo, and it made sense. The thing feels really high quality, and is very sexy/appealing (the pictures do not do it justice. I actually thought the pictures of them online, make it look like a plastic/cheap device). But the actual device in person, is actually beautiful! Has a brushed steel feel, and is beautiful in its size/simplicity. I guess the LED lights might be subjective, but I love those too (looks cool at night, and looks futuristic!). Plus you can lower the brightness, if that's not your thing. But overall, it's IMO a very appealing device. Looks much different in person IMO.  

On to the sound:

I'm really really impressed with this thing. It's driving my HD-800 without breaking a sweat, and it sounds so smooth/clear. I was previously using a Schiit Lyr + Fiio E17. I was just looking for a decent upgrade to hold me over for 2-3 years until I could afford a more expensive set up for the HD-800. So I wasn't expecting a huge upgrade, just something that would be decent. And this thing is surpassing what I expected. 

Keeping in mind that i'm a casual audiophile (I don't have trained hearing, and don't understand the technical aspects -- so take my impressions with a grain of salt, or at least with a casuals view). But wow, just wow. It's definitely a big step up from my Lyr/E17 combo.

The difference was night and day right out the gate. Everything sounded so much more clear and smooth, and it has a very tight/punch to it, that I love. It just sounds like a much tighter package. I'm really surprised at how much more powerful things sound, even at lower levels. And the Mojo gives a lot of room to crank the volume up. I have not had the chance to pair the HD-800 with other set ups (just got them a month ago, and am really poor). But I've been reading about the HD-800 since they first came out, and have always heard they are very "picky"...about what they pair with. I've always been told that the HD-800 are really amazing when they are paired right. I don't have enough comparisons, to make any claim with the Mojo. But I can at least tell that, going from my old set up to the Mojo, I think I can understand the pairing thing now. As I really feel the Mojo and the HD-800's sound work together, and it really brings out all the things I love about the HD-800 (whereas i feel my old set up, was kind of at odds with it, working against the things the HD-800 does well).

I can say from a casual audiophiles perspective, this thing is really something special. It was really easy to set up, and requires a lot less knowledge then other set ups. Considering you are getting both a DAC + Amp all in one package, and it's basically plug and play (and doesn't require a lot of knowledge to get a better sound of it)...$600 is actually an incredible deal. And again, speaking as a casual, this actually means a whole lot to me. I've been collecting headphone's for over 10 years, but have always felt like an outsider. Because my lack of knowledge, and my untrained ears, I've always had a hard time getting into higher tier headphones. I always felt a barrier, because the higher you go up, the more you really need to have more knowledge (especially with regards to Amp/DAC's). And I feel in a way, the Mojo kind of breaks down that barrier. 

I'm just someone that appreciates high quality audio files, as well as different sound signatures that each brand/headphone can provide you. I actually love having "control" over my audio, and apart of that control, is being able to try different sound signatures, and finding the one you enjoy the most. SO I might not understand all the technical, or have the best/trained hearing, but I passionately love music, and love headphones. 

I said this earlier, but it's been my dream forever to own the HD-800. Not just something I really wanted, but an actual dream. Something I didn't think I would ever be able to get. I've been thinking about them since they first came out. But I always assumed that I would never have enough money at one time, to be able to get them. And even if I did end up getting them, I would have the barrier of the Amp/DAC issue, that would keep me from truly enjoying them. So when I finally was able to get the HD-800 a month ago, I actually cried. Because it meant so much to me. But I'll admit, I also had nagging feelings, because I wasn't entirely happy with my set up. And I kind of just accepted that this was the barrier I was coming up against. And I would just have to accept it.

But getting the Mojo, makes me feel like that barrier is down. And yeah, I cried again today. But I also had the biggest smile on my face as well!

Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry if it was just a bunch of words, and wasn't very insightful. Thank you so much to everyone that helped me with this. I'm really happy with this, and it really surpassed anything I expected. I feel like I'm actually doing my HD-800's justice now, and getting use of their great qualities. I know there will always be something out there that can get even more out of the HD-800. But as someone that doesn't have a lot of money, this is a really great thing. 

- Ellie

Wow, talk about passion for a headphone! Very emotional, well written indeed.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #13,340 of 42,765
Yep. The optical is smoother and calmer while the usb is more dynamic and shows better soundstage and imaging and slightly more details. Overall I think the usb sounds more balanced and bring a better musical experience in my case. :D

I think I might have spoken a little too soon. I said that 20 minutes in of using the Mojo but further listening I prefer the optical on the Mojo just like the Hugo. I think it was the initial small jump in dynamics of the usb input that got me in the beggining.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #13,343 of 42,765
  Got my Chord Mojo in earlier today, and have been listening to them for about 3-4 hours after they fully charged.

When I first got it in the mail, I was a little taken back. I thought the thing was supposed to be small, but didn't expect it to be THAT small! In my mind I was thinking, I paid $600...and it's this small. My Lyr was like $370 and was this big steel amp w/tubes, so I had been trained to expect really big things the higher the price range. But then I picked up the Mojo, and it made sense. The thing feels really high quality, and is very sexy/appealing (the pictures do not do it justice. I actually thought the pictures of them online, make it look like a plastic/cheap device). But the actual device in person, is actually beautiful! Has a brushed steel feel, and is beautiful in its size/simplicity. I guess the LED lights might be subjective, but I love those too (looks cool at night, and looks futuristic!). Plus you can lower the brightness, if that's not your thing. But overall, it's IMO a very appealing device. Looks much different in person IMO.  

On to the sound:

I'm really really impressed with this thing. It's driving my HD-800 without breaking a sweat, and it sounds so smooth/clear. I was previously using a Schiit Lyr + Fiio E17. I was just looking for a decent upgrade to hold me over for 2-3 years until I could afford a more expensive set up for the HD-800. So I wasn't expecting a huge upgrade, just something that would be decent. And this thing is surpassing what I expected. 

Keeping in mind that i'm a casual audiophile (I don't have trained hearing, and don't understand the technical aspects -- so take my impressions with a grain of salt, or at least with a casuals view). But wow, just wow. It's definitely a big step up from my Lyr/E17 combo.

The difference was night and day right out the gate. Everything sounded so much more clear and smooth, and it has a very tight/punch to it, that I love. It just sounds like a much tighter package. I'm really surprised at how much more powerful things sound, even at lower levels. And the Mojo gives a lot of room to crank the volume up. I have not had the chance to pair the HD-800 with other set ups (just got them a month ago, and am really poor). But I've been reading about the HD-800 since they first came out, and have always heard they are very "picky"...about what they pair with. I've always been told that the HD-800 are really amazing when they are paired right. I don't have enough comparisons, to make any claim with the Mojo. But I can at least tell that, going from my old set up to the Mojo, I think I can understand the pairing thing now. As I really feel the Mojo and the HD-800's sound work together, and it really brings out all the things I love about the HD-800 (whereas i feel my old set up, was kind of at odds with it, working against the things the HD-800 does well).

I can say from a casual audiophiles perspective, this thing is really something special. It was really easy to set up, and requires a lot less knowledge then other set ups. Considering you are getting both a DAC + Amp all in one package, and it's basically plug and play (and doesn't require a lot of knowledge to get a better sound of it)...$600 is actually an incredible deal. And again, speaking as a casual, this actually means a whole lot to me. I've been collecting headphone's for over 10 years, but have always felt like an outsider. Because my lack of knowledge, and my untrained ears, I've always had a hard time getting into higher tier headphones. I always felt a barrier, because the higher you go up, the more you really need to have more knowledge (especially with regards to Amp/DAC's). And I feel in a way, the Mojo kind of breaks down that barrier. 

I'm just someone that appreciates high quality audio files, as well as different sound signatures that each brand/headphone can provide you. I actually love having "control" over my audio, and apart of that control, is being able to try different sound signatures, and finding the one you enjoy the most. SO I might not understand all the technical, or have the best/trained hearing, but I passionately love music, and love headphones. 

I said this earlier, but it's been my dream forever to own the HD-800. Not just something I really wanted, but an actual dream. Something I didn't think I would ever be able to get. I've been thinking about them since they first came out. But I always assumed that I would never have enough money at one time, to be able to get them. And even if I did end up getting them, I would have the barrier of the Amp/DAC issue, that would keep me from truly enjoying them. So when I finally was able to get the HD-800 a month ago, I actually cried. Because it meant so much to me. But I'll admit, I also had nagging feelings, because I wasn't entirely happy with my set up. And I kind of just accepted that this was the barrier I was coming up against. And I would just have to accept it.

But getting the Mojo, makes me feel like that barrier is down. And yeah, I cried again today. But I also had the biggest smile on my face as well!

Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry if it was just a bunch of words, and wasn't very insightful. Thank you so much to everyone that helped me with this. I'm really happy with this, and it really surpassed anything I expected. I feel like I'm actually doing my HD-800's justice now, and getting use of their great qualities. I know there will always be something out there that can get even more out of the HD-800. But as someone that doesn't have a lot of money, this is a really great thing. 

- Ellie

Thats wonderfully described.  Here is a toast to you
beerchug.gif
 coz I too have the Hd-800 and am still deciding whether I should go for a portable dac/amp combo like Mojo or go for a bigger setup like Arcam+Burson.

But going through you post has given me a bit of confidence that the HD800 can be partnered with Mojo if required for portability exclusively.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #13,345 of 42,765
  Ever since I demoed Mojo about 2 weeks ago the thought of purchasing one has not left me alone.

Its haunting me.... Its caused a massive 'craving' I can't shake. Got me bad! 
redface.gif

I am going to be honest with you, honest unlike others on this forum, but I do think you need to hear both sides before completing any purchase of a Mojo.
Don't do it.......

Save your money!
But if you do decide to go down that path ask yourself these questions
1. Are you prepared for that Never Ending search for matching equipment,
2. Are you currently satisfied with your IEMs or HP's because after listening to the Mojo you may not be
3. Do you have endless access to credit.
4. Will you have sufficient hours in the day re-listening to your favourite albums and tracks
5. Do you really want to be walking around all day with a permanent grin
6. Do you really want to start investing it higher quality interconnects

I wish I had this forum to read before my purchase, In a few months I had gone from being happy with my Shure SE535, to purchasing HD800's, ACS CIEM, AK100 as a transport and a few custom interconnects.

If you have any consideration for your wallet, don't do it and if you don't want to look like this...

WALK AWAY NOW

Hope I have helped to save another potential victim

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #13,346 of 42,765
  I am going to be honest with you, honest unlike others on this forum, but I do think you need to hear both sides before completing any purchase of a Mojo.
Don't do it.......

Save your money!

But if you do decide to go down that path ask yourself these questions
1. Are you prepared for that Never Ending search for matching equipment,
2. Are you currently satisfied with your IEMs or HP's because after listening to the Mojo you may not be
3. Do you have endless access to credit.
4. Will you have sufficient hours in the day re-listening to your favourite albums and tracks
5. Do you really want to be walking around all day with a permanent grin
6. Do you really want to start investing it higher quality interconnects

I wish I had this forum to read before my purchase, In a few months I had gone from being happy with my Shure SE535, to purchasing HD800's, ACS CIEM, AK100 as a transport and a few custom interconnects.

If you have any consideration for your wallet, don't do it and if you don't want to look like this...

WALK AWAY NOW

Hope I have helped to save another potential victim

L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

I have been around the block a few times, the addiction and lust to reach further is not new to me. 

So I set the plan of action and came prepared. I have the two TOTL IEMs I want to use (both Tralucent 1Plus2 hybrids and Ref.1) and Mojo for me is the missing piece to this puzzle. I have planned with great strategy even to the point of a Mojo audition to confirm before going ahead.

I know I don't like full-size headphones much as IEMs for my personal listening environment and IEM wise I'm quite content and yet to hear something more along my preferences than these two. So, really I am left with the cable/interconnect road to travel. 
smile.gif

Uncle H20 has been down these paths before...  I even have an emergency prepared fallback plan or "plan B" if you will. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #13,347 of 42,765

I have been around the block a few times, the addiction and lust to reach further is not new to me. 

So I set the plan of action and came prepared I have the two TOTL IEMs (both Tralucent 1Plus2 hybrids and Ref.1) and Mojo for me is the missing piece to this puzzle. I have planned with great strategy even to the point of a Mojo audition to confirm before going ahead. I know I don't like full-size headphones much as IEMs for my personal listening environment and IEM wise I'm quite content and yet to hear something more along my preferences than these two. So really I am left with the cable/interconnect road to travel. 
smile.gif

Uncle H20 has been down these paths before...  I even have an emergency prepared fallback plan or "plan B" if you will. 
wink_face.gif

Glad to hear it

I started off just wanting a better amp than my Fiio E18 as all I was listening to at the time was Google Music via my Nexus 6, along with some Spotify. Initially I was looking to upgrade to the Oppo HA-2 as I heard great things about it, but on research on the likes of What Hi-Fi the best DAC AMP in under £500 category was this thing called a Chord Mojo???????

So I looked for comparisons for Oppo HA-2 v Mojo and although there weren't many, all reports on this (as I thought at the time) weird looking thing, were so positive, so many people couldn't be wrong, could they?

The What Hi-Fi Awards was the decider for me and I took a blind gamble and purchased my Mojo before even finding this thread.

I was amazed from day 1 and as a result my music library has moved from AAC and MP3 to FLAC, ALAC, DSD etc,and I have subscribed to Tidal and not looking back

As I see I was too late with my warning and you have made the commitment. All I can say is

"Welcome Aboard"

L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #13,348 of 42,765
  I keep refreshing my tracking number, if i'm lucky my Mojo will arrive today.. i'm prepared with usb cables, optical cable,  2 amp charger, jack to rca for bottlehead, feels like christmas morning :))

Be patient as remember 10hr charging is recommended before 1st use.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #13,349 of 42,765
Ever since I demoed Mojo about 2 weeks ago the thought of purchasing one has not left me alone.

Its haunting me.... Its caused a massive 'craving' I can't shake. Got me bad! :xf_eek:  
I'm interested please show me. It might mean there are pale imitation crappy copies coming from China soon! Guys be careful and only purchase from traceable sources to our Chord distributors and us.

I've seen a China site (of course) where you can buy a mojo chassis (I'm sure fake) but idk what one would do with just a chassis, I mean the thing seems to be built well I don't see how negligent you have to be just to snap it or something. I guess China will make anything, maybe even another earth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back