Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 12, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #13,126 of 42,765
Like I said I really don't think there are any options that cheap on the market or else I would have one instead of a cheap Android.

On another note, my Mojo has been plugged into a wall USB charger all day long. For a lot of today I was using the Mojo and was surprised when it shut off suddenly on me. I saw the charge light was on, and tried turning it back on twice, but it'd shut off in about 10 seconds.

Is this how it is supposed to behave? I thought leaving it on the charger would prevent it from running out of power...

How hot was the Mojo?

What was the battery indicator light colour (not plugged in)?

What is the amp spec on the charger?

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #13,127 of 42,765
How hot was the Mojo?

What was the battery indicator light colour (not plugged in)?

What is the amp spec on the charger?

2A smartphone charger. I didn't think about the warmness part - it wasn't warm in the slightest when I touched it immediately after it powered off so maybe the power USB connection had come loose.

It's worth mentioning the USB side was facing away from me, so when I spun it around I saw it be white, but when I turned it on it would alternate between red and white.

I made sure the connection was secure, gave it a minute to charge a bit and turned it back on, and it hasn't shut off on me yet, so maybe it was just a fluke after all.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #13,128 of 42,765
2A smartphone charger. I didn't think about the warmness part - it wasn't warm in the slightest when I touched it immediately after it powered off so maybe the power USB connection had come loose.

It's worth mentioning the USB side was facing away from me, so when I spun it around I saw it be white, but when I turned it on it would alternate between red and white.

I made sure the connection was secure, gave it a minute to charge a bit and turned it back on, and it hasn't shut off on me yet, so maybe it was just a fluke after all.

Interesting. Haven't read about a red and white before. IIRC the low battery indicator is just red blinking on/off, but I only saw that once, long ago.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #13,129 of 42,765
Interesting. Haven't read about a red and white before. IIRC the low battery indicator is just red blinking on/off, but I only saw that once, long ago.

I'm wondering if the plug was partway out and it wasn't able to pull as much current it needed, or some other bizarre edge case like that. I may just switch out the cable I'm using to something with really stiff clips... dang microUSB can be a pain sometimes!

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #13,130 of 42,765
i had a couple of my usb cabkes tested with mojo, and only 2 out of 6 were able to connect to the pc, guess some are dedicated charging cable without data connections

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #13,133 of 42,765
Mar 13, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #13,134 of 42,765
I have a huge collection of high resolution wav, flac and dsf files which I only listen to because regular red book and regular uncompressed files sounds not refined to my taste.  My experience is opposite where DX80 with 3.5mm coax connection to Mojo sounds better than Samsung Note 5 with USB Audio Player Pro or Onkyo Audio player software with special silver micro usb cable purchased from Moon Audio.  I presume that this is because DX80 only concentrate on playing high resolution audio files while Note 5 has other functions that detract from dedicated audio playback.  DX80 sound noticeably more dynamic with another level of veil removed that makes it for livelier reproduction.  I like to think that I have a high end set up capable of resolving high end audio with my car audio set up consisting of Dynaudio Esotar2 component speakers with McIntosh MCC404 amps with JL Audio subs driven by JL Audio sub amps in my new Range Rover tuned with Audio Contol 1/3 ocatave eq.

The only problem I am having with DX80 connection to Mojo via coax is that Mojo won't play dsf files eventhough DX80 by itself with its headphone output will play dsf files so my only conclusion is that Mojo doesn't support dsf file playback through coax connection.  Looking at Mojo specs while coax connection boasts up to 768K and 32bit data stream, there is no mention of coax supporting dsf file while micro sd connection clearly seem to indicated support for dsf file feedback.  Due to my affinity with DX80 connection to Mojo via coax, I wish there is a fix for dsf file playback with coax connection.  Is there a firmware update available for Mojo that address this issue?  If so where can I obtain it and how do I update the firmware on the Mojo?  Or am I SOL with dsf file playback through coax connection?

Appreciate any comments.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #13,139 of 42,765
i went through the DSD on foobar2000 guide and found them not entirely accurate, the new suggestion should be:

1.output method: foo_dsd_asio
2. asio driver: ASIO Chord, playback method DoP marker
3. FS: both DSD256, transition 0ms
4. SACD : DSD

now instead of a red LED, im getting white, DSD translation success

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #13,140 of 42,765
I have a huge collection of high resolution wav, flac and dsf files which I only listen to because regular red book and regular uncompressed files sounds not refined to my taste.  My experience is opposite where DX80 with 3.5mm coax connection to Mojo sounds better than Samsung Note 5 with USB Audio Player Pro or Onkyo Audio player software with special silver micro usb cable purchased from Moon Audio.  I presume that this is because DX80 only concentrate on playing high resolution audio files while Note 5 has other functions that detract from dedicated audio playback.  DX80 sound noticeably more dynamic with another level of veil removed that makes it for livelier reproduction.  I like to think that I have a high end set up capable of resolving high end audio with my car audio set up consisting of Dynaudio Esotar2 component speakers with McIntosh MCC404 amps with JL Audio subs driven by JL Audio sub amps in my new Range Rover tuned with Audio Contol 1/3 ocatave eq.

The only problem I am having with DX80 connection to Mojo via coax is that Mojo won't play dsf files eventhough DX80 by itself with its headphone output will play dsf files so my only conclusion is that Mojo doesn't support dsf file playback through coax connection.  Looking at Mojo specs while coax connection boasts up to 768K and 32bit data stream, there is no mention of coax supporting dsf file while micro sd connection clearly seem to indicated support for dsf file feedback.  Due to my affinity with DX80 connection to Mojo via coax, I wish there is a fix for dsf file playback with coax connection.  Is there a firmware update available for Mojo that address this issue?  If so where can I obtain it and how do I update the firmware on the Mojo?  Or am I SOL with dsf file playback through coax connection?

Appreciate any comments.

The Mojo supports DSD64 and DSD128 in DoP format over coaxial.

Full Mojo coaxial spec from page 4 in the Mojo manual:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/manual/Mojo-User-Manual.pdf

- Coaxial S/PDIF 3.5mm two pole mono input - Capable of playing 44.1kHz to 384kHz PCM (768kHz special operation) and DSD64, DSD128 in DoP format.

There is no way to update the FW without sending it to Chord. I just tried DSD64 .dsf format from the FiiO X5ii over coaxial (DoP) and the Mojo plays just fine and the pretty white light illuminates. See pic below.

I'd check the iBasso settings for coaxial DSD output or ask iBasso if they support DSD in DoP format.

:)

Edit: If iBasso won't support DSD in DoP format I suggest converting the files to 24/96 PCM. I bet you'd be very hard pressed to hear the difference and you'll have a much easier time playing back across devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back