Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 8, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #12,796 of 42,765
  So what is wrong with a short toslink cable? Why all the hate on the Toslink? People talk about a BNC coax cable having the best connection. What is the truth behind that? Also I remember Theta, EAD, Madrigal Audio Labs (Mark Levinson) always used the AT&T ST Glass Coax since it was supposedly the superior connection at the time.

I heard if a Toslink cable is under 5 meters it will be fine. Any longer and it loses signal because the signal is carried on strands of plastic fibers and it loses signal strength after that length.

wahsmoh, I don't think it's the hate on Toslink but just that the target audience use of source transport is mainly the smartphone variety which uses USB. Moreover, there aren't that many transport out there which utilizes Optical out. Add on to the fact that streaming media is a MUST for some consumers, then the smartphone is the only viable route at the moment.

On the flip side, those who own the AK/Mojo stack absolutely love the Sysconcept cables and those are as short as you can get with Optical.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #12,798 of 42,765
Hmmm... good question. It seems almost everyone in the thread who's using optical with a portable device are generally using AK DAPs (especially AK100 / AK100ii), and since you already own an AK240, you already know the pros & cons of AK DAPs better than I do.

@ everyone reading this - please chime in with some suggestions, if you know of a particularly good candidate to suit kkcc's requirements!

Although Mojo genuinely offers a similar level of performance to Hugo, I'd suggest you audition Mojo first, as it has a different 'flavour' of presentation to Hugo. My recollection of Hugo was that it had a slightly brighter presentation than Mojo. They both perform superbly; it's just that if you're accustomed to Hugos presentation, Mojo may or may not please your accustomed ears.

Thanks for the info! The used unit I had my eyes on was indeed part of the very first batch and will try to listen for any wierd noise.

Re the transport, I probably didn't put it clearly but i m really looking at an Android one with Play store support.

My preference on the connection is Optical > coxial > USB. Nothing to do with sound quality, but more to do with how secure and how ergonomic the socket and cables are. USB just wiggle and disconnect too much when used on the go. The optical cable I use is robust, lightweight and is fixedU shaped with no excessive length that I prefer over coxial. For some reason I thought the dpx1 have optical but it doesn't :frowning2:

Re the SQ, I did demoed it at launch and agree with your assessment. The key qualities I loved from Hugo - the instrument timbre, coherent presentation of stage, precise imaging, superb transparency, and overall musicality are all there with Mojo. The slightly darker presentation didn't bother me and is in fact a nice thing to compliment Hugo.

I'm really hoping to find an Android device that has an optical or coxial out as I find myself using spotify and other local streaming services (has flac support) more and more.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #12,799 of 42,765
Hello all, first post (after reading all the previous!).  I've been lucky enough to have had my mojo since November last year (Apollo Hifi in Oz, excellent service). I have a wide ranging music collection - favourite band of all time is The Wedding Present, love indie, punk, goth, hip hop (Roots Manuva & Company Flow as stand outs), techno (from Surgeon/Jeff Mills to Orbital) and even some French Chanson thrown in for good measure!

All the following is my opinion only, of course.

I am using a Fiio X3 2nd gen as transport, feeding the mojo via Moon Audio's excellent cable (though I am liking the look of the Dyson right angled cable).

In portable set up I have been using Oppo PM3 (with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable), JH5pro (with ALO tinsel cable) and Westone 3.  The mojo has increased my listening pleasure with all 3 of these headphones.  It's very difficult to stop listening to my Oppo's in this set up.  I was enamoured with them before but I never experienced the smile inducing, emotional closeness with the music that the mojo brings. Old tracks have come out of retirement and had new life breathed into them. It's not the detail retrieval, it's what the mojo does with that detail.  Everything I listen to has musicality in spades through the mojo.  The Fiio X3 is a decent player on its own, if a little lacking in weight in the bass, however, it cannot compare to the mojo (IMO). I can only agree with the praise already heaped on this tiny device. 4 months in and it's only getting better.

I also have the Fiio/mojo combo attached to my home 2 channel set up - Rega Brio R amp, Orpheus Audeo 1.5 speakers - when at home. I have never heard this system sounding so alive. My Musical Fidelity V-Dac 2 was in use before the mojo but is now unplugged.  I haven't compared the two yet as i have not had the desire to remove the mojo. I will get around to the comparison, maybe.

All my audio purchases are based on bringing me closer to my music and if it does not increase that emotional attachment over what I already own, I do not purchase.  The mojo is easily one of the very best audio purchases I have ever bought. Chord have one very happy customer in me.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #12,800 of 42,765
I'm really hoping to find an Android device that has an optical or coxial out as I find myself using spotify and other local streaming services (has flac support) more and more.

I've got the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP that works great with the Mojo over USB. It does everything you mentioned above and it is pretty decent on balanced and ACG by itself, too.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #12,801 of 42,765
Just received my Mojo and started listening ... and this thing is fricken incredible! It's the most effortless representation of music I've heard!!! Super happy with it so far :D ... looking forward to more time with it (it's driving my He-400i to perfection)

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #12,802 of 42,765
Really wished there were more smaller Android options.  While I like the Z3Compact, the weird micro USB location just ruins it.  I wonder if there are any other obscure smaller chinese branded android phones that works great as a transport?

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #12,803 of 42,765
Hi Naive, if it makes no difference to you and if you ask a subjective question like that, would the answers alter your opinion and perspective?
So if someone answers that Optical is the absolute best to their ears and the details, transparency and transient response trumps all other connections, would you consider going to the Optical route?

Btw, how's your cable shopping coming along? Did you manage to get the cable you wanted from Sysconcepts?

Yes sir, I am patiently waiting for sysconcep cable, I'm.exited. Yes others can change my opinion, I'm ok with that, maybe others hearing quality is better, maybe they are more sensitive to micro changes, so if I can get what is regarded as better... Why not.

Right now I got other issues, I'm. Trying to find a decent transport in a smartphone for. Mojo, so. I can get rid of dx80, but no smartphone sound as good as note 5 or LG v10 to. Mojo.
And that's a little too high for me... For just a transport. So idk, cheap androids don't do it justice, and Iphones were sub par in comparison to n5 and v10... So idk maybe I just need to stick with thr dx80

Whatever

Thank you for your replies guys, I appreciate your input, as always

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #12,804 of 42,765
Yes sir, I am patiently waiting for sysconcep cable, I'm.exited. Yes others can change my opinion, I'm ok with that, maybe others hearing quality is better, maybe they are more sensitive to micro changes, so if I can get what is regarded as better... Why not.

Right now I got other issues, I'm. Trying to find a decent transport in a smartphone for. Mojo, so. I can get rid of dx80, but no smartphone sound as good as note 5 or LG v10 to. Mojo.
And that's a little too high for me... For just a transport. So idk, cheap androids don't do it justice, and Iphones were sub par in comparison to n5 and v10... So idk maybe I just need to stick with thr dx80

Whatever

Thank you for your replies guys, I appreciate your input, as always

Great to see that you've at least sorted out your cables :D

For smartphones, how do the older generation Nexus phones fare? Or even the Xiao Mi phone range (no frills, decent build, cheap China type). Anyone who has experience with these can chime in? I think the other problem with smartphones is their memory and options for expandable memory. Some phones have decent portability but lack memory.

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #12,805 of 42,765
  Hello all, first post (after reading all the previous!).  I've been lucky enough to have had my mojo since November last year 

All my audio purchases are based on bringing me closer to my music and if it does not increase that emotional attachment over what I already own, I do not purchase.  The mojo is easily one of the very best audio purchases I have ever bought. Chord have one very happy customer in me.

The Mojo has achieved all I could have possibly wished for especially as my search early last year initially was just for an DAC/amplifier to use with my phone. Now I've moved to another level and music is so much more enjoyable, with the proposed modules it just keeps getting better.

EDIT: Only thing I have found @Rob Watts and @Mojo ideas is my Mojo still hasn't provided me with the winning 6 numbers on the lottery, any news when this will be ready? 

I've got the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP that works great with the Mojo over USB. It does everything you mentioned above and it is pretty decent on balanced and ACG by itself, too.

Nice combination when I kick back.

Just received my Mojo and started listening ... and this thing is fricken incredible! It's the most effortless representation of music I've heard!!! Super happy with it so far :D ... looking forward to more time with it (it's driving my He-400i to perfection)

It's a great immersive experience, welcome to the club

Really wished there were more smaller Android options.  While I like the Z3Compact, the weird micro USB location just ruins it.  I wonder if there are any other obscure smaller chinese branded android phones that works great as a transport?

Other options could be the OnePlus X, Motorola Moto E (1st & 2nd Gen), Moto G (2nd & 3rd Gen) all these have expandable Micro SD slots

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #12,806 of 42,765
How rattly should these buttons be? Mine rattle a bit even if pick it up off the desk or move it ... and for a portable item it seems a bit weird .... I know rattle is normal, but to what degree?

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #12,807 of 42,765
I have two Windows Phones: a Lumia 930 (micro-USB) & 950XL ( USB-C). Can I use the USB connection from these to Mojo or do I use headphone out? Preferably I'd use the 950 with the Mojo since it has more storage capability.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #12,808 of 42,765
  How rattly should these buttons be? Mine rattle slightly even if pick it up off the desk and for a portable item it seems a bit weird .... I know rattle is normal, but to what degree?

How's the music? 
L3000.gif

I haven't noticed any rattling, but you'll get me listening out for that now.

OK after "Miles Davies - Kind of blue", "Holly Cole", "Diana Krall", "Kendrick Lamar" oh and some "Bach......"
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #12,809 of 42,765
Hello all, first post (after reading all the previous!).  I've been lucky enough to have had my mojo since November last year (Apollo Hifi in Oz, excellent service). I have a wide ranging music collection - favourite band of all time is The Wedding Present, love indie, punk, goth, hip hop (Roots Manuva & Company Flow as stand outs), techno (from Surgeon/Jeff Mills to Orbital) and even some French Chanson thrown in for good measure!

All the following is my opinion only, of course.

I am using a Fiio X3 2nd gen as transport, feeding the mojo via Moon Audio's excellent cable (though I am liking the look of the Dyson right angled cable).

In portable set up I have been using Oppo PM3 (with Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable), JH5pro (with ALO tinsel cable) and Westone 3.  The mojo has increased my listening pleasure with all 3 of these headphones.  It's very difficult to stop listening to my Oppo's in this set up.  I was enamoured with them before but I never experienced the smile inducing, emotional closeness with the music that the mojo brings. Old tracks have come out of retirement and had new life breathed into them. It's not the detail retrieval, it's what the mojo does with that detail.  Everything I listen to has musicality in spades through the mojo.  The Fiio X3 is a decent player on its own, if a little lacking in weight in the bass, however, it cannot compare to the mojo (IMO). I can only agree with the praise already heaped on this tiny device. 4 months in and it's only getting better.

I also have the Fiio/mojo combo attached to my home 2 channel set up - Rega Brio R amp, Orpheus Audeo 1.5 speakers - when at home. I have never heard this system sounding so alive. My Musical Fidelity V-Dac 2 was in use before the mojo but is now unplugged.  I haven't compared the two yet as i have not had the desire to remove the mojo. I will get around to the comparison, maybe.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #12,810 of 42,765
I have two Windows Phones: a Lumia 930 (micro-USB) & 950XL ( USB-C). Can I use the USB connection from these to Mojo or do I use headphone out? Preferably I'd use the 950 with the Mojo since it has more storage capability.

I am not sure but I don't think Windows Phones support OTG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back