Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 8, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #12,766 of 42,765
Here's another fun song to take on the Mojo with some pretty serious volume:

Simon and Garfunkel's "Keep the Customer Satisfied" 

See what it does to their harmony and the horn rage at the end!  

2 minutes and 35 seconds of pure bliss. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #12,767 of 42,765
I've just had a response from Edd Harris at Chord regarding the charging whilst in use question, hopefully he won't mind me repeating the info here as the info should provide the definitive answer to the question:

'Once the battery is fully charged it will stop the incoming current to protect the battery. Mojo does not have a function where it can run solely off the incoming power as it simply is not great enough for all the internal circuitry to function. Mojo was initially intended as a portable product and, as such, has a number of design features which are there to protect the user and the device. Although we have absolutely no problem with customers using their Mojo as a fixed system product.'

Personally I'm quite happy with this answer as it means it's working as expected and I can stop worrying about making it do something it's not designed to provide.:D

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #12,768 of 42,765
I've tried connecting DX50 to Mojo via coax using a simple 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS analog audio cable and it worked. I wanted to first test if TRS connectors (instead of  2-pole TS) will work fine both on Mojo's side (this was mentioned in Mojo's FAQ - that the 'ring' is ignored and only the tip and sleeve are used) and on DX50 side. I know that I should use a proper 75Ohm coaxial cable, but how much worse will be to use something like http://www.fiio.net/en/products/37 ? I don't know what the characteristic impedance of that particular cable is, but it shielded and its internal construction is very similar to a coax cable. It is also very, very short. The DX50 is not a phone, so less worries about RF interference, etc.

John?

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #12,769 of 42,765
Dignis case has arrived. No rough leather in sight :grinning:

42f2eceb9d8c40708f25d9018388480e.jpg

b39cb2d1c1fd6086403c3be293a689ff.jpg

b069172bcc75bbda4061d0d43de0b0a3.jpg

e147413a54cb22ba5bf17c26b409fb80.jpg

da1e4c51a622945ee1a9aee79f072e57.jpg

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #12,770 of 42,765
I've just had a response from Edd Harris at Chord regarding the charging whilst in use question, hopefully he won't mind me repeating the info here as the info should provide the definitive answer to the question:

'Once the battery is fully charged it will stop the incoming current to protect the battery. Mojo does not have a function where it can run solely off the incoming power as it simply is not great enough for all the internal circuitry to function. Mojo was initially intended as a portable product and, as such, has a number of design features which are there to protect the user and the device. Although we have absolutely no problem with customers using their Mojo as a fixed system product.'

Personally I'm quite happy with this answer as it means it's working as expected and I can stop worrying about making it do something it's not designed to provide.
biggrin.gif

Did you see this from Chord?

"when the Mojo is being used and being charged especially when driving lower impedances there is a net drain on the battery. This means that the charging circuit does not quite provide enough power to power the Dac and amp circuitry and keep charge the battery at the same level this is because we had to limit the amount of charge over a given time due to thermal constraints. Our charging time with the Mojo switched off is usually four or max five hours this is a little inconvenient but when we compare this to other Dac amps that need up to a full twenty four hours to charge we feel that we didn't do such a bad job."

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #12,773 of 42,765
Mr John Frank's any sneak peeks at the case?

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #12,777 of 42,765
The P7 is a very good closed head phone for the price. If you would like to keep that sound, but on a higher scale, stretch the budget and go for the TH-900. It can be had for about $1000 with the recent release of MK2. The P7 and TH-900 MK2 are two of my favorites in the stable. If you can't stretch the budget, try the THX-00.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #12,780 of 42,765
I've tried connecting DX50 to Mojo via coax using a simple 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS analog audio cable and it worked. I wanted to first test if TRS connectors (instead of  2-pole TS) will work fine both on Mojo's side (this was mentioned in Mojo's FAQ - that the 'ring' is ignored and only the tip and sleeve are used) and on DX50 side. I know that I should use a proper 75Ohm coaxial cable, but how much worse will be to use something like http://www.fiio.net/en/products/37 ? I don't know what the characteristic impedance of that particular cable is, but it shielded and its internal construction is very similar to a coax cable. It is also very, very short. The DX50 is not a phone, so less worries about RF interference, etc.

John?

This is already covered in the FAQ section and in the third post as well. Glad you're liking it. Some users have reported it's a night and day difference with a 75 Ohm coaxial cable, but I heard no difference, and I doubt such claims. Shouldn't really matter at these short lengths with a clean source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back