Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 8, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #12,736 of 42,759
  The only conundrum I've had and that I can't explain with Mojo is that it gets significantly hotter when playing from my MacbookPro than from my phone.  I can play and charge from my phone at the same time and it doesn't get anywhere close to as hot as it gets from my laptop while playing and charging.  My first mojo had a defective battery, I would only get ~10 minutes on blue, 1.5 hours on green, the total play time was something like 2 hours.  Drew @ Moon audio took care of me and got me a replacement.

The secret of using Mojo playing and charging at the same time is keeping its battery full.
I had heating problems when used Mojo charging and playing at the same time but not having a full charge. (Shut offs.)
Since I keep Mojo fully charged, I have no problem with charging and playing simultaneously.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #12,737 of 42,759

Read about Mojo's specs. In Mojo's case you can't really talk about separate amp or DAC part. It is pretty much the same thing.

Thanks; it is a bit confusing where you hold down two lights...but I think this just freezes the volume?  

Someone else asked the question about using it with another amp.  

I have a really nice amp:  Beyerdynamic A20.  The sound is clear, clean and very nice so I had considered seeing how it would be with the Mojo. 

It isn't necessary.  Two things:  1.  I don't want to change the Mojo's sound as is!    2.  The Mojo reaches levels where it is too loud for comfort, so I don't think it necessary.  

Someone else might feel differently.  

to get the most out of mojo on your MacBook Pro, download Jriver Media center and then flip through the images in this thread until you find the screenshot of the settings to enable bit perfect output to mojo.  It's true that everything sounds great on Mojo, but if you want to see what it's really capable of MP#'s and iTunes won't do it.

I have not heard of this but will begin to learn.  Thank you. 

Other question:  I charge iPhone 6 from the wall (US AC) where the USB end goes into a small box that is plugged in.  (its from apple).  Is this the same that most are using to charge the Mojo? My guess is that it might be faster, as it is much faster in charging the iPhone than the USB port on the Macbook.  Correct?  

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #12,738 of 42,759
1. Feature/function wise what are the differences between Mojo/Hugo other than the lack of crossfeed and the I/O ports?

I only used Hugo for a week, so I'm not as intimately familiar with Hugo as others on Head-fi, and thus, I'm not the best person to answer this.

2. Any known issue/revision (casing/hardware/circuitry etc) akin to the first few Hugo iterations? (I'm probably looking at buy used locally)

Only some very early units (1st batch) had a minor issue

Other than rectifying the above little issue, there have been zero significant hardware revisions to Mojo.

3. Any review of non phone source that can do streaming app and pair with Mojo via optical (my target is the onkyo)?

Hmmm... good question. It seems almost everyone in the thread who's using optical with a portable device are generally using AK DAPs (especially AK100 / AK100ii), and since you already own an AK240, you already know the pros & cons of AK DAPs better than I do.

@ everyone reading this - please chime in with some suggestions, if you know of a particularly good candidate to suit kkcc's requirements!

FYI I had been happily using Hugo at home and on the go pretty much since it's launch and the sound had rendered my attempt to demo/purchase any new DAPs futile. However, a recent reconfiguration of my audio rack made it quite troublesome to connect/disconnect the Hugo from my fullsize cans setups and I back to the good old AK240 but find it unsatisfying. In fact my AK240 had been mostly relegated to a transport for Hugo (with the new AK Connect update it is very well suited tho expensive transport LOL) and the newer DAPs (from Dx80, to DP-X1, to ZX2, to Plenue S, to AK320/380/app) just didn't sound right to me. Hence I'm thinking to get a used Mojo to replace my Hugo to use on-the-go, and while I'm at it get a newer source that do streaming. Thanks in advance for your (or any Mojo owner's) help!

Although Mojo genuinely offers a similar level of performance to Hugo, I'd suggest you audition Mojo first, as it has a different 'flavour' of presentation to Hugo. My recollection of Hugo was that it had a slightly brighter presentation than Mojo. They both perform superbly; it's just that if you're accustomed to Hugos presentation, Mojo may or may not please your accustomed ears.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #12,739 of 42,759
  Other question:  I charge iPhone 6 from the wall (US AC) where the USB end goes into a small box that is plugged in.  (its from apple).  Is this the same that most are using to charge the Mojo?

Yes, many Mojo owners do use the standard Apple USB mains chargers.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #12,740 of 42,759
Tapping Mojo's buttons at the same time puts it into line out mode. So the volume on Mojo can't be changed anymore.
It must be fun to play with Mojo in line out mode using different amps. You can try with your A20. But I think, it just gives a differently colored sound that one love more or not. Experimenting is the best thing in this hobby. :)
However I don't feel like to buy an amp to Mojo.

Quote:

Thanks; it is a bit confusing where you hold down two lights...but I think this just freezes the volume?  

Someone else asked the question about using it with another amp.  

I have a really nice amp:  Beyerdynamic A20.  The sound is clear, clean and very nice so I had considered seeing how it would be with the Mojo. 

It isn't necessary.  Two things:  1.  I don't want to change the Mojo's sound as is!    2.  The Mojo reaches levels where it is too loud for comfort, so I don't think it necessary.  

Someone else might feel differently.  

I have not heard of this but will begin to learn.  Thank you.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #12,741 of 42,759
Hi All,

since early December with my iPod Touch 5G, Onkyo HF Player and Mojo, and I really lovely. Mostly used when travelling.
But when I am at home I connect iPod/Mojo in 3V line out (I don't know how to get it in 2V and which are the benefits) to my fantastic Marantz PM-17 KI Signature and it's the best sound I have ever listened, but independently of the time used (usually under 2 hours) one I switch off I get it empty of battery, as althouhg I switch on again Mojo does not start up and I need to recharge it fully.

Which is the issue? I get the 3V line out by pressing at same time 2 volume buttons and then on/off button.
Any ideas on this issue? It does not happen when on/off/on on normal use when traveling (no line out mode).

Thanks

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #12,742 of 42,759

Thanks.  It seems like over kill, though if one wanted to hear a different colorization of the sound, they might have some fun. 

I am johnny-come-lately to the Mojo party and in reading through the first 200 pages, (thus far), the demand overwhelmed supply, yet I still wish to publicly thank Moon Audio and Drew for timely communication and guidance as well as Chord Electronics.  I, too, am one of those who not only loves the product but the design.  I text'd a quick photo to my wife to show just how small it is and she wrote, "it's cute!", so that's her perspective.  

We go to our son's hockey games and parents today can be...interesting to some, but, she pointed out that she was glad to see TWO headphone ports in the MOJO, reminding me of how we sometimes like to 'tune out' the interesting parents around us during the more intense games!  

Thank you, Drew, for great service.   Thanks to Chord for letting these old ears hear something 'high end' and special!  

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #12,743 of 42,759

We go to our son's hockey games and parents today can be...interesting to some, but, she pointed out that she was glad to see TWO headphone ports in the MOJO, reminding me of how we sometimes like to 'tune out' the interesting parents around us during the more intense games!  

I'm not surprised Chord's FPGA sounds better than your son's school PTA!
wink_face.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #12,744 of 42,759

Thanks.  It seems like over kill, though if one wanted to hear a different colorization of the sound, they might have some fun. 

I am johnny-come-lately to the Mojo party and in reading through the first 200 pages, (thus far), the demand overwhelmed supply, yet I still wish to publicly thank Moon Audio and Drew for timely communication and guidance as well as Chord Electronics.  I, too, am one of those who not only loves the product but the design.  I text'd a quick photo to my wife to show just how small it is and she wrote, "it's cute!", so that's her perspective.  

Thank you, Drew, for great service.   Thanks to Chord for letting these old ears hear something 'high end' and special!  

Audio is all about fun (although fun means slightly different thing to us, but the basics are the same). And it is never too late to any party. :wink:

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #12,747 of 42,759

I'm not surprised Chord's FPGA sounds better than your son's school PTA!
wink_face.gif

Mython,

My wife is 5 foot nothing  and a hundred pounds soaking wet, and called me nervous but laughing, from a recent ice hockey tournament that she went to alone:   Mothers on one side were "calling out" mothers from the other side to physically fight them!  

The only thing I could think of to offer consolation was :  "I guess you're not in Kansas, anymore."  

Hence, two  headphone ports on Mojo and a love of similar music styles works out well!  

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #12,748 of 42,759
  Bestula, 

as your desk DAC, you successfully avoided the heating shut off issue by keeping the battery fully charged...thanks, this makes sense as the double duty of charging and playing seems to heat it up.  As you do this:  

Do you have it plugged in to the AC?  or, are you using the USB on your computer?

With either, do you keep it plugged in overnight? (I assume powered down).  

As a desk top DAC, would it make any difference between power source, AC or the lap top?  (My lap top is plugged in almost always.  With the new Macbook pro, I spent a good amount of time first researching and then asking them which is best:  leave it plugged in, or let it run down once in a while.  They said it has about 1,000 cycles per life, so keeping it plugged in full time was best).  

I understand Chord has a differently designed battery which is not subject to the 'memory' issues others are.  

*Would keeping it plugged in to the Macbook Pro USB port, 'full time' keep it just as fully charged as one using AC power?  

For me, it appears 90% usage stationary, with the nice ability to take it with me.  I'd like to use it as you do.  

It is plugged into AC. When Mojo is fully charged, it just not charging any further. So it is the same as you were unplugged it.
I was also worrying a bit at the beginning leaving it plugged in overnight, but no issues with that at all.

As long as your Macbook Pro USB port provides 1A nonstop, than it is the same as AC. Some laptops stop providing USB current when go into sleep mode. I do not know about Macbooks.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #12,749 of 42,759
Tapping Mojo's buttons at the same time puts it into line out mode. So the volume on Mojo can't be changed anymore.
It must be fun to play with Mojo in line out mode using different amps. You can try with your A20. But I think, it just gives a differently colored sound that one love more or not. Experimenting is the best thing in this hobby. :)
However I don't feel like to buy an amp to Mojo.

The Mojo when in line mode is changeable, just push the buttons down four clicks to blue and you have approx 2.2 volts. line mode it not memorised by the Mojo when turned off and on so if you wish to retain that setting don't put it in to line mode, just turn the volume up to the same colour as line mode and you should be on 3 volt output and the mojo will remember it. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #12,750 of 42,759
John Frank on the life of the battery: "It is new technology. It was designed for us. the battery is a new technology. It is a new type of design and we believe its life will be far in excess of any battery made. It should be many years. It should last 10, 15, 20 years, maybe longer. I do not know."

Enjoyable listening to him:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back