Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #11,717 of 42,758
Chord already have the 2Qute desktop DAC at £995 (Hugo is £1400 and Mojo £399 here in the UK so kind of splits the difference).  I don't think it has a headphone output but I believe the DAC stage is lifted from the Hugo.  Add an amp of your choice and you have what you are looking for.  Chord now have Mojo and Hugo for portable/transportable, 2Qute, Hugo TT and Dave for desktop; not sure it would make more sense to add another desktop DAC.  So they add an amp to the 2Qute but that would maybe take sales away from Hugo?  Make a "desktop Mojo" but that would maybe take sales from the 2Qute and Hugo?

The 2Qute is not at all relevant because it does not have a headphone input. Additionally, it is not an affordable or integrated solution because it would require purchasing a headphone amplifier. Mojo/ Hugo are high and low end portable device options while Mojo TT/ Hugo TT would be high and low end table top device options that will appeal only for home use (hence why removing the battery, adding 1/4 headphone inputs, and placing Mojo into a larger table top enclosure are necessary from a marketing point of view to take it out of the portable market). In that sense Mojo TT fills a gap in Chord's line and I think it would add huge sales. It's unlikely it would take away sales from any of their current products if the pricing was right. For example, I was never considering Hugo for home use but I have been mulling the Hugo TT. Unfortunately the Hugo TT is expensive and has features that I don't need like the battery, remote, etc etc. A Mojo TT would be just right.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #11,718 of 42,758
Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't it really not matter which phone you use since the phone is only outputting not perfect data via sub and mojo is doing all the processing not?

Different sources change the sound, I've tried various android devices and they all differ in sound (all bitperfect)

Maybe... This lg5 might be a great mojo replacement, can't wait to hear it

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #11,719 of 42,758
For those wanting to use the Mojo as a desktop unit and worrying about the heat, why not just get a heatsink like from a computer CPU and a piece of thermal conducting transfer tape and try sticking it on the Mojo and see if that solves the overheating problem.  It would certainly be a cheap experiment and easily removable.  If you look hard enough you might fine one that complements the black color an shape of the Mojo.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #11,720 of 42,758

I wouldn't mind a desktop version of Mojo.

I mean it works quite well.

But recharging and overheat issues as a desktop DAC can be a small pain.

I still don't care having this awesome sound for the price. (Addictive!)

Bur I wouldn't mind if I could forget about charging, etc.

(I hardly ever use Mojo as portable device.)
[/quote
I use mine as a desktop DAC most days. It works brilliantly.
Are you having recharging or heat issues? Or is it something you heard?
I haven't had any issues in this configuration.
Mojo can get warm, but it is designed to.

If charging and playing at the same time after a certain time (1-2 hrs?) the security circuit shuts the device off due to overheating.
So now I try to charge it every night and use from battery instead of charging and playing at once.
(Another trick is if I keep Mojo in my hands, it doesn't get hot enough to shut off.)
Using from battery works out well though, and according to Chord this battery should last very long even with extensive use like this.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #11,721 of 42,758
  For those wanting to use the Mojo as a desktop unit and worrying about the heat, why not just get a heatsink like from a computer CPU and a piece of thermal conducting transfer tape and try sticking it on the Mojo and see if that solves the overheating problem.  It would certainly be a cheap experiment and easily removable.  If you look hard enough you might fine one that complements the black color an shape of the Mojo.

I might gonna try this. Any suggestions?

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #11,724 of 42,758

If charging and playing at the same time after a certain time (1-2 hrs?) the security circuit shuts the device off due to overheating.
So now I try to charge it every night and use from battery instead of charging and playing at once.
(Another trick is if I keep Mojo in my hands, it doesn't get hot enough to shut off.)
Using from battery works out well though, and according to Chord this battery should last very long even with extensive use like this.

Mine doesn't do that. I said so a few posts back. Once I let the Mojo reach full charge it stays cool-to-only-warm as a desktop DAC. It's because the charging is switched off and on intermittently, and doesn't get the chance to heat right up.

If I charge and play from an empty battery the Mojo gets hot then. However so far it has not cut-out. Room temp anywhere between 20-24'C.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #11,726 of 42,758
The 2Qute is not at all relevant because it does not have a headphone input. Additionally, it is not an affordable or integrated solution because it would require purchasing a headphone amplifier. Mojo/ Hugo are high and low end portable device options while Mojo TT/ Hugo TT would be high and low end table top device options that will appeal only for home use (hence why removing the battery, adding 1/4 headphone inputs, and placing Mojo into a larger table top enclosure are necessary from a marketing point of view to take it out of the portable market). In that sense Mojo TT fills a gap in Chord's line and I think it would add huge sales. It's unlikely it would take away sales from any of their current products if the pricing was right. For example, I was never considering Hugo for home use but I have been mulling the Hugo TT. Unfortunately the Hugo TT is expensive and has features that I don't need like the battery, remote, etc etc. A Mojo TT would be just right.

Apparently the batteies in the Hugo TT do another job. Something to do with smoothing power supply I think. I might be completely wrong on the reason. However you can see for yourself on the What Hi-Fi review of the Hugo TT.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #11,727 of 42,758
The LG G5 was unveiled it can support 32 bit 300+mhz audio ,apparently this thing is going to sound awsome, I bet it will pair mojo nice

the mojo will pair nice with anything that has OTG support. 

this idea where people are buying very expensive players or smart phones to pair with it seems silly to me.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #11,728 of 42,758
Anyone paired mojo with Flare R2Pro? Ordered these couple a days ago.

I was trialling a pair of these for Snugs I used them exclusively with the Mojo. They were fantastic -  such a lovely bass. It's a no brainer to pair these 2 up . The Flare R2 Pros fit deep inside the ear canals , need very little volume and are incredibly light and comfortable

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #11,729 of 42,758
That is how I understood Rob Watts's post on the power circuitry control. He said that the battery only draws power for charging once the battery level drops 0.2V. Rob's own words, quote:

Rob Watts (currently post 4596):
[COLOR=111111]"Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge."[/COLOR]

However I am confused by the implementation in day to day use. I use the Mojo as a desktop DAC. Once the battery is full and it remains plugged in, I see no evidence that it disconnects drawing power from the battery. Basically the charging light either shows blue meaning running off battery, or white meaning charging.

There are two possibilities to explain it. 1. The mojo only ever draws power from the battery, which contradicts Rob Watts. (Maybe forget that then.) 2. There is no charging light colour to represent being left on charge all the time. Thus no light colour to represent being powered only from the charger.

However this leaves the question. For the charging light to switch so often between blue and white, it means the battery is dissipating much power. It alternates quite regularly but I have not timed it: it may be every ten, fifteen, or 30 minutes, but I don't know. It's not a long cycle though and it's regular.

Why though. Why does the battery dissipate 0.2V within such a short time? Thus setting the Mojo back in charging more.

That is why I felt it necessary to get Chord's opinion. We could use knowledge about running the Mojo with the battery either taken out or disconnected.

EDIT: The heat comes from when the Mojo is playing and charging. It's not a serious consideration when you keep the Mojo battery topped up. It only gets warm before the charging cycle switches off again.

My Mojo battery light turns off when the battery is full. If your light is on all the time something else must be going on.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #11,730 of 42,758
I might gonna try this. Any suggestions?

I would just check out wherever you would buy your diy computer hardware from. Most heat sinks will come with a silicon pad that transfers heat. You could just use rubber bands to try it. As long as there is good contact it should pull the heat from the case. It's worth a try. I can't imagine it wouldn't help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back