Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #11,221 of 42,765
Whats the best source for mojo? Idevice->micro usb->mojo or DAP(ibasso dx90/ak100/cayin)->coax optical->mojo,
Im currently using the idevice but willing to change to DAP if its worth it.

I tried iPhone6 to mojo, and iPhone 6s to mojo and they were inferior to note 5 to mojo,

Feb 12, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #11,222 of 42,765
Whats the best source for mojo? Idevice->micro usb->mojo or DAP(ibasso dx90/ak100/cayin)->coax optical->mojo,

L

I tried iPhone6 to mojo, and iPhone 6s to mojo and they were inferior to note 5 to mojo,

Y?

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #11,223 of 42,765

I think your terminology is confusing people. The Mojo is both a source and an amp. DACs are considered sources. Your phone/tablet/computer/dap/etc. Is just a transport - a vehicle - that holds your files, at least from an audio signal perspective.

Now, whether some phones are better transports than others? I'll defer to people who have A/B tested.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #11,224 of 42,765

Sound was not as punchy, not as clear and imagined lacked slightly, still sounds good but in comparison to note 5 the are clearly inferior.
I use dx80 to mojo (also inferior to (note 5 to mojo)) but I use this set up due to portability and no notifications, interference from radio ect. But note 5 proved to be be the best source for what I've tried for feeding the Mojo, there are definetly better sources than note 5.

I have a 6s for personal use stand note 5 for My business uses, I'm familiar with both devices

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #11,225 of 42,765
Sound was not as punchy, not as clear and imagined lacked slightly, still sounds good but in comparison to note 5 the are clearly inferior.
I use dx80 to mojo (also inferior to (note 5 to mojo)) but I use this set up due to portability and no notifications, interference from radio ect. But note 5 proved to be be the best source for what I've tried for feeding the Mojo, there are definetly better sources than note 5.

I have a 6s for personal use stand note 5 for My business uses, I'm familiar with both devices

That's interesting and not something I'd considered.

If the Mojo (or any other usb dac) bypasses the phone's audio, what explains the difference? Voltage from the phone's battery perhaps?

I have a Galaxy S4 as my Android transport. Can you compare that one? I can say it's better than an HTC One M8 because it always works, and doesn't pick up interference. I didn't realize there were other factors at play.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #11,226 of 42,765
I am surprised to read the Cayin C5 is such a worthy amplifier for our Mojo; seems it give a lot of value for its modest (USD 170) upper entry-level price.

once I add another box to the Mojo, I am biased toward desktop units, rather than portables. Imagine the mess of cables while commuting on a train; phone, Dac, and amp.

how do folks discern the distinction between the amp in the Mojo versus dedicated amps? Is it merely using the line-out and using different amps..... when I read about soundstage, instrument separation, those seems to me to be attributes of a DAC, whereas headroom, scaling are amp attributes.

As have been mentioned before, adding the amp after the Mojo into the chain actually serves to "colour" the sound to a certain sound preference e.g. warm, dark. Also, depending on listening levels, some users have found that the amp adds more volume.
With regards to the perceived soundstage, Rob has mentioned before that the improved details actually serves to "shrink" the perceived soundstage because the brain is picking up more details.
Personally I find the musicality to be more important to me than soundstage. Soundstaging can also be "improved" with headphones/earphones/speakers down the chain but you can't change the musicality of the source with those. Garbage in, garbage out. Which is why decent headgear + great source will always beat great headgear + decent source, IMHO.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #11,227 of 42,765
As have been mentioned before, adding the amp after the Mojo into the chain actually serves to "colour" the sound to a certain sound preference e.g. warm, dark. Also, depending on listening levels, some users have found that the amp adds more volume.
With regards to the perceived soundstage, Rob has mentioned before that the improved details actually serves to "shrink" the perceived soundstage because the brain is picking up more details.
Personally I find the musicality to be more important to me than soundstage. Soundstaging can also be "improved" with headphones/earphones/speakers down the chain but you can't change the musicality of the source with those. Garbage in, garbage out. Which is why decent headgear + great source will always beat great headgear + decent source, IMHO.

This was very informative. I actually have a Cayin C5 on the way. I can see how it sounds with my Oppo, but it sounds like an especially good match with the Mojo.

I'm sure either configuration will sound good.

Neither configuration will be portable anymore.

But, either setup will be flexible, and that's always a good thing.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #11,228 of 42,765
That's interesting and not something I'd considered.

If the Mojo (or any other usb dac) bypasses the phone's audio, what explains the difference? Voltage from the phone's battery perhaps?

I have a Galaxy S4 as my Android transport. Can you compare that one? I can say it's better than an HTC One M8 because it always works, and doesn't pick up interference. I didn't realize there were other factors at play.

I haven't tried s4, but I didn't the s5 (iPhone beat s5) however v10 beat note 5 (forgot to mention)

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #11,229 of 42,765
I've had my Mojo for some time and still thrilled with it. Lately I've been using with Roon from the Mac Mini, using Bottlehead Crack as a headphone amp or a tube buffer/pre feeding a solid state amp in the 2 channel speaker set up. Then grab it at night plug the iPhone in with some IEMs. I really can't find anything to fault with this little box.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #11,230 of 42,765
I've had my Mojo for some time and still thrilled with it. Lately I've been using with Roon from the Mac Mini, using Bottlehead Crack as a headphone amp or a tube buffer/pre feeding a solid state amp in the 2 channel speaker set up. Then grab it at night plug the iPhone in with some IEMs. I really can't find anything to fault with this little box.

I think it'd awsome, I wish it had a little more separation, or layering, but thst may be because my se846 are sub par in the iem category?

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #11,231 of 42,765
come on! enjoy the music rather than the equipment! :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #11,234 of 42,765
Well my hearing was sure good enough to appreciate the difference when I recently changed from Akg 550s to the HD650s. I think the akg 550 is an audio bargain , but just to bright for me.
I think I'm going delve into the mysterious world of valves , warts and all.
Or maybe I could just use the EQ on my phone :grimacing:

Dont EQ, Tubes are magical i still miss them now :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #11,235 of 42,765
Try out different options if you are using UAPP. Options like "Force 1 packet per transfer" and tweaking the buffer size can totally fix any stuttering or popping.

If you are using the stock shipped with player, try getting UAPP, it is highly recommended.

I just bought UAPP to give it a go. Purchased the Onkyo HF key and now i most probably wont need it. Damn. Ahh well :) fingers crossed UAPP goes swell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back