Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #11,176 of 42,765
  Is that why I had someone agree with me and another user confirming having the same problem? I don't see any fight here in the thread, just someone being rustled that I said I'm returning the device. Your post is unnecessary.

I have the same problem and I want to fight you, lol. You're definitely antagonistic, please draw a deep breath and let's get this problem sorted, if you get banned that's one less voice for the struggle.

I don't have this issue on an iPhone 6s plus using the Onkyo HF app.  There's a pause between each track and I get the whole first note.

Do you have the problem using iTunes though?

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #11,177 of 42,765
Oh boy.... Chord made a choice. They decided to avoid pops on sampling rate changes (which I hear with FiiO DAPs for example), so Chord added a 0.5 second delay on sampling rate changes. Apparently some computer software stops playback between songs and the Mojo sees this as a change, or a new start. I don't think it's that they 'don't care' but they've made their choice. You don't agree with it and that's fine, but it's not really a flaw or apathy as you say, just a different approach from what you want.

Sadly, I've used Musicbee for longer than a year and I'm not going to beg the author to include a silence dsp option, or abandon Musicbee. I really liked the sound but returning it is the only option, and just go for something else.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #11,178 of 42,765
I'm pretty sure it's not defective. Background is black as the night, everything is in order. I just prefer the wider stereo image and more bottom weight I get with Cayin C5 added. I don't think it's horrible, the amp section. It's just not noticeably better than, say, the amp section of an ak 100ii (balanced). Not my cup of tea. 
Owning the c5 and having heard the mojo, I hear ya!

For my set up I liked the detail of the mojo but the lack of separation lost me. I haven't read much of that view on this thread though. I bought a Sony pha3 instead even though I tried wanting the mojo.

Using the c5 with the mojo, how much detail/clarity lose to gain extra soundstage? And how is the overall sound with the two together?

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #11,179 of 42,765
Sadly, I've used Musicbee for longer than a year and I'm not going to beg the author to include a silence dsp option, or abandon Musicbee. I really liked the sound but returning it is the only option, and just go for something else.

Sure, if that makes you happy then I'm happy for you. As I edited my post above, my signature applies in this situation to a T. You obviously prefer the convenience of your player over the SQ of the Mojo. Good luck.

:)

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #11,180 of 42,765
The 0.5-second gap only happens to my Chord Mojo when I press the fast forward button in my DX90. But when I let the song finish, nothing happens. The "pop" when pressing the fast forward button doesn't happen at all (or maybe I just don't pick it up) when my Mojo is connected to my Lake People G109A. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #11,181 of 42,765
Oh boy.... Chord made a choice. They decided to avoid pops on sampling rate changes (which I hear with FiiO DAPs for example), so Chord added a 0.5 second delay on sampling rate changes. Apparently some computer software stops playback between songs and the Mojo sees this as a change, or a new start. I don't think it's that they 'don't care' but they've made their choice. You don't agree with it and that's fine, but it's not really a flaw or apathy as you say, just a different approach from what you want.

Edit: You should read my signature as I think it's very appropriate for your situation

So now I understand, I don't exactly agree with the wisdom of that decision as I'd much rather hear a pop (which I've never heard on my Fiio X3 and X5) than miss that critical 1st couple of notes............

So there's no fix on the way because it was a conscious decision. 

I have a couple of things confusing me though. The 0.5 sec delay kicks in ONLY when there's a sample rate change correct? So the reason for me experiencing the delay after almost every song is because my sample rates are constantly changing, which is entirely possible because I'm in the music business and I've remastered a lot of my favorite songs. So I'll have to remaster every song again and make sure it's all at the same sample rate? Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, that's a lot of work. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #11,182 of 42,765
So now I understand, I don't exactly agree with the wisdom of that decision as I'd much rather hear a pop (which I've never heard on my Fiio X3 and X5) than miss that critical 1st couple of notes............

So there's no fix on the way because it was a conscious decision. 

I have a couple of things confusing me though. The 0.5 sec delay kicks in ONLY when there's a sample rate change correct? So the reason for me experiencing the delay after almost every song is because my sample rates are constantly changing, which is entirely possible because I'm in the music business and I've remastered a lot of my favorite songs. So I'll have to remaster every song again and make sure it's all at the same sample rate? Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, that's a lot of work. 

Not necessarily due to sample rate change as some other users have experienced it across all their Redbook songs for example. As Relic mentioned, it could be due to the player pausing between tracks which to the Mojo "looks" like a sample rate change and thus the pause. Introducing a delay on the player side helps alleviate this issue but the solution isn't elegant as some users have pointed out but it's up to the individual.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #11,183 of 42,765
@yoyorast10 I definitely have empathy with you on this. I don't see that you are trolling. You'll have to decide if it is fully dealbreaking for you, and return it if so.

Neither do I accept the argument that you have the choice of pops and bangs. Or the Chord way and mute a second. Simply because there are other DACS that do neither, so there is a third choice.

It needs a wider perspective though I think. For purely listening to music DACs that don't do any muting or pops, has to be the preferred method. What they do with a change in sampling rate, is pause playback and then start when hardware syncronisation is complete. It takes about a second. They don't see any issue with playing consecutive tracks or manually skipping tracks. Perfect to me.

However how would that work if you fired up a PC game? Could it mean that audio would be a second out of sync, if you had to wait for hardware sync? It could only happen when you were listening to HD-audio, and then swithced to audio at 44.1KHz in a game. I have no idea how it would all work. I think a DAC working that way would catch up at any pause in audio.

Up to you then. I only offered up my ideas because I have been thinking about it. I think your case is worse though because you are losing a second on every track.

If you want to think of other free music players that do ASIO and WASAPI, I came across Winamp, AIMP3, and Winyl. You will have to see if they insert silence at the start of the album. I do not know if they will cause your Mojo to mutes the start of every track. I have not looked at them. I am still in JRiver trial.

It's all relevant though because if you have to buy JRiver, it pushes up the cost of having a Mojo. I think I need to buy a shielded USB cable too. Already JRiver and USB cable means potentially £100 on top of the Mojo. When I consider that I had a flawless Meridian Explorer with none of the above issues, I really do wonder. (Sound quality aside.) The principle is that if you need to spend £400 or £500 pounds, it should be right. (How many CD players would sell at this price if they did this?)

In my opinion, Chord have advertised it as Windows compatible. Therefor I think it should work flawlessly with the majority if music players, but it doesn't. However I have to repeat, what issues could happen if it paused for hardware syncing. I have never played HD-audio and then fired up a PC game so I don't know. Let alone done it where I coud see if the audio was a second out of sync.

Additionally be aware that if you can configure Foobar, the Mojo will work perfectly, and it's free.

Up to you, but good luck whatever you decide! Thank you for re-raising the issue as other newcomers can evaluate based on more and wider balanced opinions.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #11,184 of 42,765

I have the same problem and I want to fight you, lol. You're definitely antagonistic, please draw a deep breath and let's get this problem sorted, if you get banned that's one less voice for the struggle.

Do you have the problem using iTunes though?

I never use iTunes. Not very fond of the program which as far as I can see does nothing but intrusively try to sell products.  I will however give it a try this weekend and report back if I here what you are hearing.  If it helps get this thread back to problem solving and information sharing we should all try iTunes to see if that's the problem.  It also helps to know what music is being played and how it's being played (eg playlists of tracks from different albums, albums, mp3s, alas, etc--bit depth and sample rate too).

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #11,185 of 42,765
My personal thoughts on the Chord Mojo
First off I,m 51 so I no longer have the hearing of a barn owl . I've had the mojo for a week and use my wonderful hd650s. The build is extremely good as are the volume controls. Connection to my iPhone 6 was perfect , also my iMac and a monitor audio asb2 soundbar , which by the way is fabulous as soundbars go.
The thing is I have to be honest with myself and admit that I am really struggling to hear much of an improvement in sound quality when compared to my iPhone . The mojo has a slightly bigger soundstage to my ears , and maybe? a touch , and do mean a touch more detail ----? Maybe.
I've spent hours on end switching back and fourth , and as for the higher bit rates and sampling Hz I can't hear a blind bit of difference.
With the volume limit and sound check disabled on my phone I find the max volume to be adequate for 90% of my listening. Bought the phone from Apple Store so maybe didn't have the European volume limit?
Now before you all rip me to bits , I'll just repeat that this is my personal experience and that I'm feeling some what jealous as to those who can experience the reportedly huge improvement in sound quality
Maybe the one good thing I've gained from this is a new love for my I phone.

As has been pointed out by some here I think it REALLY matters what kind of music you are listening to if you want to hear any real differences between  say an iPhone and Mojo or Hugo or any other really good DAC.
When I first auditoned Mojo yesterday the first thing I heard was Mojo connected to some kind of mobile phone, I don't know which, and the music playing was according to the guy who handed me the HD 800S headphones was  a track by Lou Reed. To my ears it sounded absolutely terrible with lots and I mean LOTS of inherent distortion from the recording itself.
But when I connected Mojo to my Macbook pro laptop and played acoustic music at different resolutions ranging from pcm 24/44.1 to DXD and DSD 64 and 128 I was absolutely baffled that the black little thing next to my laptop was capable of delivering things  very close to how I have heard some of those works both live and as "raw playback" mic-feed and edited final product.
You really need to listen to simply recorded acoustic music to appreciate the advantages both Hugo and now Mojo it seems have over the "chip off the shelf" competition imo.
I will need to compare the two under more controlled conditions with absolute level set and  in a dead quiet environment. But one thing is absolutley sure, if you know how acoustic instruments like violins, brass, woodwinds and piano sound live you owe it to yourself to audition both Hugo and Mojo as far as portable DACs go.
If it hadn't been for the really irritating little headphone jack which caused some problems on Mojo with the HD800S from Sennheiser, and the fact that it refused to play some of my DSD tracks I think I would have bought a Mojo already yesterday. It was really that good. And I already own  a Hugo since two years.
My first impressions of comparing the two were that Hugo seems to take a step back and include more of the acoustic venue, while  Mojo moves a couple of rows closer and sounds a bit drier and warmer.
Not necessarily a bad thing with some recordings.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #11,186 of 42,765
Having owned an AK240, an Onkyo HA-2 and a Chord Hugo in trying to assemble an optimal mobile rig, I recently made the decision to sell all three of these and try the Chord Mojo with my iPhone 6 (128 GB).  The reasons were for the best sound quality I could obtain at the best price in a very portable and convenient stack.  I must say, that I am VERY happy with the iPhone 6 > Chord Mojo > JH13 Pro ciems.  I think that it offers (for my ears) the best combination of SQ and portability that I have seen.  These components work so well in concert that I use them constantly when I travel.  I guess that is the best testimonial - I use it a LOT.

My home rig is MBP + Roon/Tidal > Exasound e20 > Blue Hawaii SE > STAX SR009, and I have received loads of pleasure from its outstanding performance.   It sets a high bar for a mobile rig which the Mojo has gone a long way towards meeting.

My source material on both rigs is more and more coming from Tidal Hifi.  I am looking forward to Tidal's streaming Meridian's MQA in the near future having heard great things about it from those who have auditioned the format.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #11,187 of 42,765

Edit: You should read my signature as I think it's very appropriate for your situation

Agree with you there m8. Also... perhaps people should get back into the habit of listening to an ALBUM. Like in the olden days. It's quite refreshing. If you let the tracks play sequentially there's no gap! I think we got a bit too used to everything being on tap, on demand, too quick to change channels :) 

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #11,188 of 42,765
My personal thoughts on the Chord Mojo
First off I,m 51 so I no longer have the hearing of a barn owl . I've had the mojo for a week and use my wonderful hd650s. The build is extremely good as are the volume controls. Connection to my iPhone 6 was perfect , also my iMac and a monitor audio asb2 soundbar , which by the way is fabulous as soundbars go.
The thing is I have to be honest with myself and admit that I am really struggling to hear much of an improvement in sound quality when compared to my iPhone . The mojo has a slightly bigger soundstage to my ears , and maybe? a touch , and do mean a touch more detail ----? Maybe.
I've spent hours on end switching back and fourth , and as for the higher bit rates and sampling Hz I can't hear a blind bit of difference.
With the volume limit and sound check disabled on my phone I find the max volume to be adequate for 90% of my listening. Bought the phone from Apple Store so maybe didn't have the European volume limit?
Now before you all rip me to bits , I'll just repeat that this is my personal experience and that I'm feeling some what jealous as to those who can experience the reportedly huge improvement in sound quality
Maybe the one good thing I've gained from this is a new love for my I phone.

Right... first off, if you try and listen to the sound attribute's you will struggle. It kills the emotional connection dead. I find that it creeps up on me with the mojo. The music somehow sounds more alive. I'm more connected with it. It certainly sounds more 3d, to my ears however, than anything else I've heard and has the uncanny ability to unravel dense mixes so they make sense. It's like "oh, so THAT's what they were trying to do!" , or "THAT's why this is so highly rated" keeps coming into my mind when I'm listening to complex and critically acclaimed jazz or rock which I've never really "got" before. Personally I would recommend that you stop trying to define specifics of sound quality which make the mojo differ from other stuff and let the music into your soul. I know that sounds cheesy, but I can't say it in a different way.

2nd off, you may want to try some different, more revealing headphones, the HD650's are renowned to be a little muddy even against the HD600's which I have. Personally I use K3003 AKGs and Beyerdynamic T1's and they are both excellent and streets ahead of the HD600's in terms of ability in all areas especially definition and general clarity. 

But, anyhow... the main thing is to forget a bit about the specifics of the sound and let the music back in.

Sincerely hope this helps!

PS... I am 47 and certainly am also on the downward slope as regards hearing :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #11,189 of 42,765
I just compared my Hugo to a hi-end DAC which uses a 24 bit DAC the PCM Burr-Brown 1704.

For me personally it is no contest, the Hugo trounces that DAC.

Differences, the other DAC sounded mechanical, like a digital source, treble is brighter, but with less detail. It also sounded dry. 

The Hugo sounded musical, analog like like my Vinyl, and most of all enjoyable

As for Iphone vs Hugo, yes initially sounded good to me also, but after a while the treble detail started the ear fatigue.

There is no getting around it, the Hugo and Mojo are really so much better than the cheap DAC chips.

With the Hugo I get lost in the music, and that it what this is all about.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #11,190 of 42,765
  I just compared my Hugo to a hi-end DAC which uses a 24 bit DAC the PCM Burr-Brown 1704.

For me personally it is no contest, the Hugo trounces that DAC.

Differences, the other DAC sounded mechanical, like a digital source, treble is brighter, but with less detail. It also sounded dry. 

The Hugo sounded musical, analog like like my Vinyl, and most of all enjoyable

As for Iphone vs Hugo, yes initially sounded good to me also, but after a while the treble detail started the ear fatigue.

There is no getting around it, the Hugo and Mojo are really so much better than the cheap DAC chips.

With the Hugo I get lost in the music, and that it what this is all about.

How high end is that DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back