Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 11, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #11,131 of 42,765
  What was wrong with it?

Guys, what is the logic for the up side down micro USB socket on the Mojo as it means that all control buttons are difficult to access as they are underneath i.e. resting on the table when using it as a desktop DAC?
cool.gif

dunno the logic, but couldn't you just get a slightly longer USB cable?  I hated the short, stiff USB cable for desktop usage anyway.

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #11,132 of 42,765

dunno the logic, but couldn't you just get a slightly longer USB cable?  I hated the short, stiff USB cable for desktop usage anyway.

Thanks for your reply, of course it is not your job to justify why the socket is upside down but if there is no logic to it then it has to be an oversight on Chords behalf?

I like short cables and I have a better one than the one it is supplied with, it would have to be quite long as not to exert torsional/ twisting force on the cable and the Mojo socket.

Overall I think the Mojo is good but nothing exceptional and the upside down socket is likely to be  deal breaker for me.

I wanted to make people aware of this oversight, as I see it so far?!

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #11,133 of 42,765
Thanks for your reply, of course it is not your job to justify why the socket is upside down but if there is no logic to it then it has to be an oversight on Chords behalf?

I like short cables and I have a better one than the one it is supplied with, it would have to be quite long as not to exert torsional/ twisting force on the cable and the Mojo socket.

Overall I think the Mojo is good but nothing exceptional and the upside down socket is likely to be  deal breaker for me.

743 pages and you are the first to mention it so I am going to go out on a limb here and say no one else has a problem with it :)

Edit: btw you can now get short usb cables with reversible plugs !

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #11,134 of 42,765

I personally found a 1 ft cable ideal for the Mojo, it gave me enough flexibility to position Mojo in a comfortable spot without creating unnecessary desktop clutter. My cable was quite supple and didn't put any strain on either socket.  Luckily I had like 10 mini to USB-A cables just sitting around.  YMMV

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #11,135 of 42,765
Anyone looking for a great hard shell case for your valuable audio stuffs: $11

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Universal-Travel-Electronics-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455217468&sr=8-1&keywords=amazonbasics+case

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #11,136 of 42,765
  Anyone looking for a great hard shell case for your valuable audio stuffs: $11

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Universal-Travel-Electronics-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1QG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455217468&sr=8-1&keywords=amazonbasics+case

I have one of these that I've used for about a year as an every day carry that I keep in my messenger bag and it's been great.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #11,137 of 42,765
After playing around with the Mojo for about two months - in a variety of setups, with different headphones - I have come to what is likely to be my final opinion of it.

Good:

1) It is an amazing DAC, truly as good as it gets for a portable. To my ears the resolution, level of detail and instrument separation are simply perfect.

Bad.

1) The amp section is so and so with Shure 535s and Sennheiser IE800s, but downright awful with JH Audio Laylas. Soundstage is narrow and round. Also, don't expect it to drive picky planar magnetics like the Hifiman he-560.

2) The battery life is short and will always make it a hassle to use.

So, in conclusion, the DAC is a miracle but the amp is overrated. Personally, I will be on the lookout for an amp and a carrier. The amp needs to be good with Laylas - thinking of Pure 2 and headstage arrow - and the carrier slimmer and more modern than the awful slow and clunky old ak100 people are paring the Mojo with (because they fit). 

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #11,138 of 42,765
  After playing around with the Mojo for about two months - in a variety of setups, with different headphones - I have come to what is likely to be my final opinion of it.

Good:

1) It is an amazing DAC, truly as good as it gets for a portable. To my ears the resolution, level of detail and instrument separation are simply perfect.

Bad.

1) The amp section is so and so with Shure 535s and Sennheiser IE800s, but downright awful with JH Audio Laylas. Soundstage is narrow and round. Also, don't expect it to drive picky planar magnetics like the Hifiman he-560.

2) The battery life is short and will always make it a hassle to use.

So, in conclusion, the DAC is a miracle but the amp is overrated. Personally, I will be on the lookout for an amp and a carrier. The amp needs to be good with Laylas - thinking of Pure 2 and headstage arrow - and the carrier slimmer and more modern than the awful slow and clunky old ak100 people are paring the Mojo with (because they fit). 

Your unit must be defective - my Mojo works wonders on the amp section with every CIEM I've thrown at it - including top-tier headphones.

I'm using JH Roxanne's - perfect with zero hiss.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #11,139 of 42,765

Your unit must be defective - my Mojo works wonders on the amp section with every CIEM I've thrown at it - including top-tier headphones.

I'm using JH Roxanne's - perfect with zero hiss.

I'm pretty sure it's not defective. Background is black as the night, everything is in order. I just prefer the wider stereo image and more bottom weight I get with Cayin C5 added. I don't think it's horrible, the amp section. It's just not noticeably better than, say, the amp section of an ak 100ii (balanced). Not my cup of tea. 

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #11,140 of 42,765
743 pages and you are the first to mention it so I am going to go out on a limb here and say no one else has a problem with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: btw you can now get short usb cables with reversible plugs !

Perhaps Chord should include one of these upside down back to front micro USB cables
biggrin.gif
to negate their oversight!

So far I am underwhelmed by the SQ of my Mojo but I will try burning it in for 100 hours and see if it improves.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #11,141 of 42,765
My personal thoughts on the Chord Mojo
First off I,m 51 so I no longer have the hearing of a barn owl . I've had the mojo for a week and use my wonderful hd650s. The build is extremely good as are the volume controls. Connection to my iPhone 6 was perfect , also my iMac and a monitor audio asb2 soundbar , which by the way is fabulous as soundbars go.
The thing is I have to be honest with myself and admit that I am really struggling to hear much of an improvement in sound quality when compared to my iPhone . The mojo has a slightly bigger soundstage to my ears , and maybe? a touch , and do mean a touch more detail ----? Maybe.
I've spent hours on end switching back and fourth , and as for the higher bit rates and sampling Hz I can't hear a blind bit of difference.
With the volume limit and sound check disabled on my phone I find the max volume to be adequate for 90% of my listening. Bought the phone from Apple Store so maybe didn't have the European volume limit?
Now before you all rip me to bits , I'll just repeat that this is my personal experience and that I'm feeling some what jealous as to those who can experience the reportedly huge improvement in sound quality
Maybe the one good thing I've gained from this is a new love for my I phone.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #11,142 of 42,765
@electrical64

Well, I'm 73 and am fortunate enough to hear a major difference between the two, although I can listen to the iPhone for hours and find it quite ok.  You may have nailed it with your comment about your hearing.  You should definitely go to an audiologist and have your hearing tested if for no other reasons than establishing a baseline and the off chance they may see something medical of which you are unaware (which could be affecting your evaluation).

There are other reasons that the Mojo might not impress including among others the music, the recording, and the playback software none of which you mentioned.  I'm not about to rip anyone to bits but I'd like to be able to help them hear the difference I do.  On the other hand, you may save yourself a lot of money by hearing no differences.
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #11,143 of 42,765
Well my hearing was sure good enough to appreciate the difference when I recently changed from Akg 550s to the HD650s. I think the akg 550 is an audio bargain , but just to bright for me.
I think I'm going delve into the mysterious world of valves , warts and all.
Or maybe I could just use the EQ on my phone :grimacing:

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #11,144 of 42,765
The mojos a master of subtlety. If youve ever had any direct experience with a musical instrument then you'll understand what rob watts is taking about when he refers to transients. But the greatest thing I find about the mojo is the dynamic range. The instruments have a real sense of amplitude and direction but most importantly the harmonic foundation of the music is not compromised for an artificial sense of detail.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #11,145 of 42,765
My personal thoughts on the Chord Mojo
First off I,m 51 so I no longer have the hearing of a barn owl . I've had the mojo for a week and use my wonderful hd650s. The build is extremely good as are the volume controls. Connection to my iPhone 6 was perfect , also my iMac and a monitor audio asb2 soundbar , which by the way is fabulous as soundbars go.
The thing is I have to be honest with myself and admit that I am really struggling to hear much of an improvement in sound quality when compared to my iPhone . The mojo has a slightly bigger soundstage to my ears , and maybe? a touch , and do mean a touch more detail ----? Maybe.
I've spent hours on end switching back and fourth , and as for the higher bit rates and sampling Hz I can't hear a blind bit of difference.
With the volume limit and sound check disabled on my phone I find the max volume to be adequate for 90% of my listening. Bought the phone from Apple Store so maybe didn't have the European volume limit?
Now before you all rip me to bits , I'll just repeat that this is my personal experience and that I'm feeling some what jealous as to those who can experience the reportedly huge improvement in sound quality
Maybe the one good thing I've gained from this is a new love for my I phone.

I have found this article ( http://mashable.com/2014/09/26/iphone-6-hd-audio/#zyqMa31_QuqL) helpful in explaining Apple products and especially the iPhone 6 DAC/music “philosophy". Maybe it will be of some use to you. Apple products have very good DACs. Reading Dr. Watts’ and John Frank's posts helped me to understand the creative sound thinking at Chord. I use both Apple/Chord together and Chord has been a great improvement to my Apple sound and music. I plan to use mojo mainly as a desktop/main system DAC til the accessories become available.

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → MerrillAudio MA- 2P TRS → LC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back