Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 10, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #11,041 of 42,765
@NaiveSound if you use a longer optical cable, which is very widely available and well within your price range, you can put the DAP in one pocket and the Mojo in the other and be balanced
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #11,042 of 42,765
It'd be really cool to see a DAP designed so as to have an optical socket integrally mounted directly on the underside of the DAP, and a DAC-Amp like Mojo designed similarly, so that the two could stack and directly mate with one another, thus making an optical cable unnecessary.

Fraught with reliability and longevity/robustness problems, but would be cool, at least in theory

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #11,043 of 42,765
  It'd be really cool to see a DAP designed so as to have an optical socket integrally mounted directly on the underside of the DAP, and a DAC-Amp like Mojo designed similarly, so that the two could stack and directly mate with one another, thus making an optical cable unnecessary.

Fraught with reliability and longevity/robustness problems, but would be cool, at least in theory

Could this be the way the SD card add on will connect?
It is one of three choices.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #11,044 of 42,765

Could this be the way the SD card add on will connect?
It is one of three choices.

I doubt it, but I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong...

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #11,045 of 42,765
If anyone wants inexpensive cables from japan (cables 3,4 & 5) PM me, I can order it for you. (or get it from amazon.jp)
wink_face.gif

Cable 1 - A Premium optical cable 1.5FT (toslink to toslink) found at MyCableMart.com $6
             A Toslink to 3.5mm (1/8") Mini-Toslink Adapter (not shown) found at MyCableMart.com $1.01

Cable 2 - A 6 inch 3.5mm MONO TS (2 conductor) Male to Male Audio Cable found at MyCableMart.com $0.83

Cable 3 - A 10cm USB OTG cable from Amazon.jp (mojo to onkyo DP-X1)

Cable 4 - iBasso mono coaxial to RCA from Amazon.jp  (mojo to Fiio X5)

Cable 5 - A 10cm toslink to mini toslink optical cable from Amazon.jp (mojo to AK100ii)

Cable 6 - This is the coaxial cable that comes with Fiio X5 (2 pole), X5ii (4 pole) etc (for demonstration purposes only). They can be attached to coaxial cable 4 and mojo.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #11,047 of 42,765

Cable 5 - A 10cm toslink to mini toslink optical cable from Amazon.jp (mojo to AK100ii)

My concern with the 10cm optical cable is that yes, it's nice and short, but it's not really designed to be used in a tight radius, so I would question the longevity of the cable if used in such a manner.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #11,050 of 42,765

That's more like it, but... depends on the price!
regular_smile%20.gif

$48 USD (@ today's conversion rate)

Brilliant.

I'm happy to be proven wrong in my reply to NaiveSound
beerchug.gif

I wonder why nobody has mentioned that cable in this thread, until now.... weird.

Is the cable to known to perform up to 24/192?

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #11,053 of 42,765

My concern with the 10cm optical cable is that yes, it's nice and short, but it's not really designed to be used in a tight radius, so I would question the longevity of the cable if used in such a manner.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've definitely never had an optical cable that lasted very long when a tight bend was put in it regularly.  Eventually it will break internally, that's just how optical cables are, ultimately there's no way around the fact that they're essentially glass on the inside.

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #11,054 of 42,765
  so the mojo does not have galvanic isolation ? 

At the risk of being flamed, I don't see how the composition of the USB cable wire can add warmth to digital data from whatever device is being used as a transport

I understand those concerns to - after all the data is the same. But there are solid scientific reasons why they can make a difference.

In the 1980's, people started talking about mains cables making a difference to the sound quality - and I didn't believe it either - particularly as my pre-amp had 300 dB of PSU rejection in the power supply. But I did a listening test, and yes I could hear a difference. Frankly I still could not believe the evidence of my own ears, so did a blind listening test with my girl friend. She reported exactly the same observation - mains cables did make a difference to SQ.

To cut a long story short, I proved the problem was down to RF noise. RF noise inter-modulates with the wanted audio signal within the analogue electronics, and if the RF noise is random, then the distortion is random too and you get a increase in noise floor with signal. This increase in noise floor is noise floor modulation, and the brain is very sensitive to it; you can perceive tiny amounts of noise floor modulation as a brightening or hardening of the sound. By tiny I mean the noise floor modulation needs to be well below -200 dB, so the brain is very sensitive to it. With the right test equipment, you (APX5555 is only test equipment that has no innate noise floor modulation) can easily measure the effect.

The RF characteristics of the cable can change the RF noise that gets injected into Mojo's ground plane, and this is the mechanism for changes in smoothness. You may say why can't you make it insensitive to it; well I go to silly lengths to RF filter and decouple, and use dual solid ground planes on the PCB, but you can't remove the problem. For Dave, Hugo TT and 2 Qute I have galvanic isolation, and this eliminates the problem (along with other SQ problems such as sound-stage depth). But I can't do this with portable devices, as it draws power from the 'phone. That said it's less of an issue with portable electronics as they are less power hungry and create less noise.

So what are the best USB cables? Firstly, be careful. A lot of audiophile USB cables actually increase RF noise and make it sound brighter, and superficially impressive - but this is just distortion brightening things up. Go for USB cables that have ferrites in the cable is a good idea - it may also solve any RF issues from the mobile that you may have too.

Rob

(NB: bold emphasis added by me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back