Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 31, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #10,366 of 42,759

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the moon mastered at Abbey Roads studio with Alan Parsons and the gang using every tool at their disposal. There are several versions (compression or lossless) the 24/192 Vinyl rip is awesome.

I'm using the "De-emphasized Black Triangle FLAC" version and it's amazing.   Have you tried it?

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #10,367 of 42,759
  It's a minefeild, but there are resources online to get you started. One I check often is the DrDatabase (dynamic range database). If your album is in the lower zone (red-yellow) chances are high that it will clip and/or have distortions in my experience.

http://dr.loudness-war.info

I use that site all the time. One thing I have noticed in the past couple of years is new releases on CD tend to be in the 5 - 7 range, while the same release on Vinyl is in the 10-12 range. (Blackstar from Bowie is sadly one of these) I went into my local hippie record store and mentioned this to the guy behind the counter and he shouted at me that this was all wrong, i.e. CD's have the capability of way more dynamic range than Vinyl, so what I was saying is impossible. And yet it seems to be the case these days. Sigh.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #10,368 of 42,759
I use that site all the time. One thing I have noticed in the past couple of years is new releases on CD tend to be in the 5 - 7 range, while the same release on Vinyl is in the 10-12 range. (Blackstar from Bowie is sadly one of these) I went into my local hippie record store and mentioned this to the guy behind the counter and he shouted at me that this was all wrong, i.e. CD's have the capability of way more dynamic range than Vinyl, so what I was saying is impossible. And yet it seems to be the case these days. Sigh.

The 'guy behind the counter' is a nut bar and doesn't know s***. Vinyl is almost always better for dynamic range. I agree, a lot of modern mixes are terrible and it's getting worse. Adele, Bowie, many remasters, it's sad.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #10,369 of 42,759
Well I have to say I'm extremely happy with the Mojo. However my quest has left me with a lot of kit, from which I'm looking to have 3 rigs:
1. Gym - IEMs + Noble BTS + Sony A15
2. Mojo + AK120 or RWAK100+ sysconcepts + Savants
3. More portable, either AK120 alone or RWAK100.

so question is which to make the single rig, AK120 or RWAK100??

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #10,370 of 42,759
The 'guy behind the counter' is a nut bar and doesn't know s***. Vinyl is almost always better for dynamic range. I agree, a lot of modern mixes are terrible and it's getting worse. Adele, Bowie, many remasters, it's sad.

The "guy behind the counter" is not to blame here. He said CD's have the capability of way more dynamic range. The sad thing is that it is not used.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #10,371 of 42,759
The "guy behind the counter" is not to blame here. He said CD's have the capability of way more dynamic range. The sad thing is that it is not used.

Well, aangen mentioned that he finds vinyl to often have better DR, the guy yelled at him. I blame the guy. That dude needs to find his Mojo.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #10,374 of 42,759
It is annoying when they artificially handicap one format just to keep an outdated format relevant.

Blackstar is a very poor example to choose as it doesn't really have any dynamic range. There are no breaks or quiet passages. That said I can't explain the differences in the numbers between CD and Vinyl. If you take a recording that requires huge dynamic range - Mahler symphonies for example - you will find that CDs perform really well.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #10,375 of 42,759
Hey,
That Lowepro case looks perfect for what I need. Is that model the Santiago 20-II?
Please and thank you.

Seconded on the Lowerpro case.....perfect fit.         Model No. 20-11

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #10,376 of 42,759
So, after awhile the apple charger also gave out the same low coil whine, so that was a no go for me, but I went to get a charger that seemed to have stayed silent throughout. It's not an anker as they aren't easy to find in australia and also costs quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend, but the comsol 2 port usb seems to have done the trick.

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #10,378 of 42,759
Is there a way to search for good mastering, I would love to find an album that will wow mein terms of mastering, genre doesn't really matter to me?

There is a music section right here on Head.Fi you know!!

Here ya go;

http://www.head-fi.org/f/9/music

Some great suggestions there.

On topic I'm really tempted to buy a Mojo even though I really can't justify the $900.00 AUD it's going to cost me. I know it will sound fine with my Android device but how about a X3 classic with coaxial out??

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #10,379 of 42,759

Fiio L19, travelling with Mojo

This Taobao cable also works on my iOS 8.3.... ipod touch

Thanks @seeteeyou
 for his resourceful advice

http://world.taobao.com/item/44240667193.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.1414651174895.3.mJ5jGF&scm=1007.10146.12547.0&id=44240667193&pvid=e0a2074e-7b36-4e7e-84fd-946f5cd4a523

I am not going to AB between the two cables as I have a healthy social life. lol

So you let us know in a short brief hypothesis how you feel about any of these cables?

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #10,380 of 42,759
  There is a music section right here on Head.Fi you know!!

Here ya go;

http://www.head-fi.org/f/9/music

Some great suggestions there.

On topic I'm really tempted to buy a Mojo even though I really can't justify the $900.00 AUD it's going to cost me. I know it will sound fine with my Android device but how about a X3 classic with coaxial out??

I found that Mojo sounds very different, depending on source.
Which is weird, as the signal supposed to be the same.
Mojo sounds completely different from DX80 or laptop, and even YouTube HD and Foobar Asio is a great difference.
To me this shows the huge potential of Mojo. But beware of poor source. Whether you connect via usb or other digital input.
You have to tell if you like it with X3. (I didn't like DX80 pairing due to the harsh treble but I love the smooth sound with Asio from laptop.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back