Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 19, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #991 of 42,765
Almost credit card sized and about two iPhone 5s's thick. Pretty small.

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #992 of 42,765
I fail to understand Mojo's proposition.
It's smaller than the Hugo but it looks not small enough to be pocketable. My iPhone 6s barely is, even alone.
It will turn out to be a great small sized, relatively affordable desktop amp. As the he Hugo, only cheaper.
Am I missing something big?

If you cannot fit the 6s in any pocket, yes! :wink:

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #993 of 42,765
It would actually be quite a fun challenge to find something equally as capable in a package as small...

I'll throw my old FiiO E17 into the mix, doesn't have anything going for it compared to mojo other than size, but we will see...

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #994 of 42,765
I'd also be very interested in review of the Mojo with the Pandora VI. I don't think there are many DAC/Amps out there that recommends down to 8ohm. I currently plugged mine out from the paired Dac/Amp and plugged it straight into my Galaxy tablet and although there is less resolution, there are more details and clarity. And ofcourse these cans being highly efficient it gets very loud. I still prefer it with a dac/amp but I wonder if I am getting more clarity and details without it due to the impedence mismatching of some sort.

I can only compare to iPhone 6s and iPad 2, but I think sound quality is similar to Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I know the Pandora are getting loud enough with any portable, so the volume is not an issue, they get loud enough. But to my ears, the Hope Pandora VI has much more headroom, many more layers and is overall significantly more musical if paired with AK120 or Mojo. Definitely worthwhile trying out Mojo, highly recommend it.

If you're in the UK I recommend to come to the Hifi Show in Old Windsor next weekend to try all options out :) 

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #995 of 42,765
It would actually be quite a fun challenge to find something equally as capable in a package as small...

I'll throw my old FiiO E17 into the mix, doesn't have anything going for it compared to mojo other than size, but we will see...

The E17 won't compare well man.  My Pico DAC/AMP struggles to keep up with the Mojo.  Based on size & foot-print, I doubt anything will be able to come near its performance.  You will definitely have to move up into a dedicate home unit or more expensive portable solution such as Sony PHA-3 to make it interesting..

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #996 of 42,765
I think it would be great if members could use #Impression in order to make searching easier for those who are looking for members impressions. 

This way it allows for better searching in this thread as general searching for the work impression bring too many posts which aren't actually impression but members seeking impressions. 

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #998 of 42,765
I really dont think anything at this price and size range can beat its dac. I tried against like the concero, daps, my own alo cdm, all of which I feel lacks the energy against it. Infact so far, only the Chord 2qute feels slightly better then the Mojo.

That said, my ALO CDM definitely has a better amp. Chain the Mojo and CDM and I think its near the pinnacle of portable. Cost less then a AK380 still :D (or a hugo in the states)

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #1,000 of 42,765
Depends on your pockets I guess. It'll be pocketable for me, considering my P8max is, and it's much (much) larger than your 6s. I suppose I don't wear hipster jeans though, so there is that.

I wear skinny jeans so phones barely fit my pocket. That said, I wear a suit to work 5 times a week, so problem solved. I can carry it in my laptop bag and/or pocket of the jacket.

Ps: I'm not a hipster. 
smile.gif

Oct 19, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,001 of 42,765
I can only compare to iPhone 6s and iPad 2, but I think sound quality is similar to Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I know the Pandora are getting loud enough with any portable, so the volume is not an issue, they get loud enough. But to my ears, the Hope Pandora VI has much more headroom, many more layers and is overall significantly more musical if paired with AK120 or Mojo. Definitely worthwhile trying out Mojo, highly recommend it.

If you're in the UK I recommend to come to the Hifi Show in Old Windsor next weekend to try all options out :) 

Part of that improvement is down to better impedance matching alone, since the iPhone 6 has an output impedance around 3ohm, making it unsuitable for anything applying a load less than 24ohm (a lot more than the VI impedance of 8ohm). The 6 showed clipping with IEMs of 15ohm impedances when Anandtech measured it, that'll be worse still with the VI.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,002 of 42,765
Pardon my ignorance but why would one want to get the mojo if you own a zx2?

That's a good question.  As great as the ZX2 is, it isn't able to drive anything more than CIEMs and easy to drive phones very well.  For harder to drive phones such as the the HD800, Z7, and HE1000, that's where the Mojo come in.  I personally think that the Mojo is quite a good solution for on-the-go situation when you need more power to drive those phones.  I think it is a perfect at work solution IMO.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,003 of 42,765
Pardon my ignorance but why would one want to get the mojo if you own a zx2?

The Mojo DAC wise is actually more refined to me the zx2. I tested with a few tracks and it pretty much confirms with me that the mojo is better for me. The next question is if its worth to get a zx2 and use it for a mojo: I think its nice since it gives you a choice to go solo or stacked. Not every day you want a triple stack. Money wise it makes no sense so save your money and get a sony a20, zx100 or a cheap android phone if you intending to use the mojo almost exclusively..   

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #1,005 of 42,765

I have a Hugo & ZX2, in fact it started out with ZX1 then Hugo then ZX2... the ZX2 is a brilliant source/streamer and looks like there could be a one-cable fix that works (according to my source), hth.

Would love to know where I can source that cable.  I thought about breaking the pin off from one of my PHA3 (micro USB w/ a locking pin) to WMport cable but that maybe a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back