1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
First

Back
620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629
631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640
Next

Last
  1. u2u2

I am just shy of you in years and share age related hearing concerns when laying out money on this hobby. I have been lucky, in that with patience, I have been able to repeatedly audition most items of interest to me. In the case of the Mojo two opportunities to audition it went bad so I ended up buying blind and have not regretted it at all. Read all the good comments posted here, discount the bad, and that is what I received hardware wise. Sound wise, every time I upgrade my kit I find more tracks in my collection with flaws in the recording/mastering. Mojo added to my list... You will hear a difference, just not the same as a twenty year old will. As you can easily differentiate between your amps, DACs, and headphones you ought to be good to go Mojo as well. On a bang per dollar measure Mojo scores well. A worthwhile purchase in my opinion. Once I have done my research I have found that further time spent in deliberations would have been better spent enjoying the gear I was considering. Just lost eleven months on a WA22. 

2. Mython Contributor

What sample rate and bit depth are your music files?  e.g. 16bit-44.1khz, 24bit-96khz, etc., etc.

Many audiophile iPhone-users use Onkyo HF Player for iOS

Although there are many possible causes of choppy playback when outputting to a DAC, one possibility is that the iPhone's CPU may be struggling to process excessive data, behind the scenes - now that could be because of non-music-related CPU threads being processed, in the beta iOS software, that may, perhaps, be hogging excessive CPU bandwidth, and leaving too little CPU bandwidth available for decoding music data and sending it over the lightning port bus.

Along this line of thinking, this is the reason why I asked you if the music is being upsampled, prior to being sent to the DAC, because some player software is set to upsample, either accidentally or by default, and upsampling also consumes a lot of CPU bandwidth.

3. Bighappy

I don't believe there's any up sampling going on...I also tried Pandora & Tidal & I'm having the same problems. I'm going to try my wife's phone later today to see if it's just my phone or what. Thank you!

4. Mython Contributor

OK but you do realise I was making 2 seperate (though similar) points?

Beta software may be hogging the CPU for a different reason. Upsampling is only one possible reason.

What colour is showing on the single button LED, on the Mojo, when the music is choppy?

5. Bighappy

The button is Red. So I believe 44.1? Sorry...Still getting use to all of this :grin:

6. AudioBear
    Might be worth double clicking on home and turning off all open programs (swiping up). Reboot.  Put the iPhone in travel or airplane mode.  Make sure your player isn't up sampling or equalizing or doing any extraneous processing.   Report back.

I use Onkyo HF as a player most of the time. 

Beta testing can be tricky....

7. Mython Contributor

Yes; correct. Red does signify Redbook 16bit-44.1khz

OK, so I guess we just have to wait and see if there is an issue with the beta software on the iPhone - it'll be interesting to know what results you get with your wife's phone

8. Mython Contributor
    Box-side-2.jpg

9. Bighappy

I'll let you know as soon as I find out...Thank you for all of the help.

10. Mython Contributor
    You're welcome -  do try what AudioBear suggested, too.

11. Bighappy

I'll give that a try...Thank you!

12. Bighappy

Just got home...Mojo + wife's phone running iOS 9.2 = perfect! Now to figure out how to go back to 9.2 & turn off beta testing...

13. petetheroadie
    Really struggling to get a right angled interconnect anywhere for my X5ii and Mojo... Didn't think it would be this hard! Anyone know any UK or Ireland based custom cable makers? 

I bought Mojo from Custom Cable, so have emailed them to see if they can help, but would love any additional suggestions. I know Moon audio in the US do it, but I'd rather not pay $95 + $40 shipping + customs duties for an interconnect :frowning2:

Help!

Pete

14. Mython Contributor

petetheroadie likes this.
  15. pytter

Yep!  I had it in my basket yesterday and almost pressed buy but remembered in time that I am out of money this month!  Amazon make it too easy - they even deliver same day or on a Sunday to fuel your impulse buying...

Hope you enjoy the Mojo!  Let us know how you get on!

First

Back
620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629
631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640
Next

Last