Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 16, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #9,316 of 42,765
I haven't been in this thread for a while, I must say that I feel some people are too paranoid about the heat generated by the mojo...

Probably, heat will be a bit more an issue in the summer when ambient temp is 30 degrees, probably not in the UK though :) . Lets all agree to reconvene in 10 years and compare notes.

I don't agree with the argument that something new will come along and make the Mojo obsolete, for me the Mojo is the endgame portable DAC (unless Mojo mkII is released)

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #9,318 of 42,765

Yes, actually a Bugatti Veyron and a Volkswagen Polo both have 4 wheels. And a fish and an elephant both live on oxygen. :D

700$ Oppo PM2 was inferior for my tastes on all departments possible of sound relative to my 280$ (initial price and 150$ actual price) ultrasone dj one pro. So, price and technology is not exactly the best criteria of comparation when it comes to audio. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #9,319 of 42,765
  700$ Oppo PM2 was inferior for my tastes on all departments possible of sound relative to my 280$ (initial price and 150$ actual price) ultrasone dj one pro. So, price and technology is not exactly the best criteria of comparation when it comes to audio. 

Sure, everything is relative, and we all are different. (To me it is difficult to believe though, a well powered PM2 sounds inferior to dj one pro. But YMMV.)

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #9,320 of 42,765
Just a heads up for those lookin to buy cables from forum member @dergabe. I'm one of several people who paid in good faith for an angled 5ii to Mojo cable and didn't receive it. Then I got accused of falsly saying the cable didnt arrive.

He ignored PMs for weeks then sent me a snotty PM saying how fed up of this he was and that he would send me a straight connector cable as he had run out of angled connectors and that I would just have to live with it.

Terrible experience unfortunately. AVOID.

Anyone know where I can get an angled x5ii to mojo connector?

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #9,321 of 42,765
GB - I think you're safe as I've only read of a very, very small number of people having any thermal issues.

And think of all the great music you've missed in keeping your Mojo in a box! How many weeks has it been now?

Go for it!!!

Very kind of you, thank you. However I have been having fun. I recently bought new active speakers called BT3 by Q Acoustics. Then I bought a QED Reference Audio J2P and it makes the BT3 great. New speaker cable for them soon, and I will be getting Chord Clearway: I rang Richer Sounds about it yesterday. I think I will be using the Mojo so it will boost my speakers and headphones. If not I think I will get a better DAC than the Meridian Explorer that I use now, anyway. I keep thinking about the Hugo, and I would return the Mojo to get it. No pressure and I have had tots of thinking time from Amazon's Xmas policy of lots of time to decide. I have had the Mojo here sealed up for about nine weeks I think.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #9,322 of 42,765
Yeah I suggested back then, and found some suitable heatsinks on Maplin and linked them. I have a heatsink I salvaged from a motherboard. I wonder if no-one is really having much of a thermal shutting-off problem. Or folks think it impractical because it would be a hassle to remove the heatsink when using the Mojo portably. The thermal pad which would act as a thermal binding between heatsink and Mojo case would be fragile. (If there's another thermal bonding that sticks to the heatsink only, that would solve it.)

I think I am about to start using my Mojo. I think even if it does not suffer thermal shut-down, I will still fit it with a heatsink. It can only be a good thing to run it cooler (when charging too.) I know some audio components make a better sound when warm. However even with a heatsink, I think the Mojo will be warm enough.

What would really distress me is if my heatsink modding still did not prevent shut-down. There's the option of standing a fan near and blowing cool air through heatsink fins, for hot days! Something like a silent (Noctua) PC case fan running on low 5V.) As I plan to use the Mojo around the home the heatsink can live on it.

Heat sink? Lol, bro your way overthinking this. Just open and listen to your mojo. Hahahahahahha

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #9,324 of 42,765
Very kind of you, thank you. However I have been having fun. I recently bought new active speakers called BT3 by Q Acoustics. Then I bought a QED Reference Audio J2P and it makes the BT3 great. New speaker cable for them soon, and I will be getting Chord Clearway: I rang Richer Sounds about it yesterday. I think I will be using the Mojo so it will boost my speakers and headphones. If not I think I will get a better DAC than the Meridian Explorer that I use now, anyway. I keep thinking about the Hugo, and I would return the Mojo to get it. No pressure and I have had tots of thinking time from Amazon's Xmas policy of lots of time to decide. I have had the Mojo here sealed up for about nine weeks I think.

You've had the Mojo sealed up for nine weeks..... Not one listen...... Yet you've started an issues and solutions thread, and considered a heat sink for any potential of overheating, among many other ideas about other 'issues', still, not one listen.... I just don't understand. :blink:

Now you're considering getting the Hugo? How long before you open the Hugo box?

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #9,326 of 42,765
Sorry I didin't realise this was a humiliation thread where I must do what others think. Or where threads can't be started for everyone's benefit. I do what I want, and I spend and use my money when I see fit.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #9,327 of 42,765
You've had the Mojo sealed up for nine weeks..... Not one listen...... Yet you've started an issues and solutions thread, and considered a heat sink for any potential of overheating, among many other ideas about other 'issues', still, not one listen.... I just don't understand.
blink.gif

Now you're considering getting the Hugo? How long before you open the Hugo box?

Legend!   :)  

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #9,329 of 42,765
Sorry I didin't realise this was a humiliation thread where I must do what others think. Or where threads can't be started for everyone's benefit. I do what I want, and I spend and use my money when I see fit.
Sure, free forum, you are allowed to talk about your behavior and people are allowed to think you are ridiculous.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #9,330 of 42,765

heat sink and thermal pads. Too much and unnecessary my man - reminds me of movie Aviator.
biggrin.gif

To be fair - no one is saying that a heatsink is necessary - but it would be a perfectly rational & pragmatic way to alleviate thermal issues, if the Mojo is being used in a particularly high ambient temperature (Florida during summer, etc.?).

Not absolutely necessary, but not entirely irrational, either.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back