1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
First

Back
457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466
468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477
Next

Last
  1. joshk4

USB 2 on PC

2. singleended58

It might remind you that it is fully charged.
    Well when my Mojo is charged during the listening the white lite still stays on (no blinking!)

3. jamestux
    I tried some before I bought my PM3S. Personally I preferred the PM3s but was impressed with the H6 too, plus they are a lot lighter, enjoy!

4. Mython Contributor

Probably not enough juice.

Remember, you need to supply the Mojo with at least 1A, when charging

5. sabloke
    Make sure you use a proper charger that puts out over 1A. I am charging with my LG unit rated 1.8A and the light stays on until charged.

6. joshk4

Thanks guys, I might try it over a mains and see if it stays on. Maybe that is why I have only been able to run for 5-6 hours and not near the 10 hour mark.

7. singleended58

I charge my Mojo with a Samsung charger for S4 without any problems.

8. Shubar
    Can someone explain how the mojo works to me? Bit confused.

I have a fiio x3 gen 2 with line/coaxial out. If I use the coaxial out, does all the processing (dac'ing) and amping gets done by the mojo? Or does the mojo just do the amping?

9. x RELIC x Contributor

The Mojo can't do just the amping for a couple reasons.

1) It only has a digital input so it needs to be fed a digital signal therefore using its fantastic DAC. You can only input USB, coaxial, or optical.

2) You can't use the Mojo amp separately from the DAC because it doesn't have a seperate amp. It's the discrete variable analogue output from the DAC, and it's very clean.

10. sabloke
    A bit off topic but the question of Mojo's charging light keeps popping up. I am buying the charger to end all chargers! 30A total output over 12 USB ports. Game over, gadgets! :)

12USBportcharger.jpg

salla45 likes this.
  11. Currawong Contributor

I'd have to track down the exact post by Rob Watts, but everything in the Hugo and Mojo gets up-sampled up to 2048x and DSD gets converted to PCM. The reason DSD is popular is that the filters in many DACs are the default ones that come with the DA converter chip which are fairly poor. if you've heard regular CD-quality material through a Chord product (or a Schiit multi-bit DAC, or some of the classic high-end R2R DACs) instruments sound wonderful and natural. So it's not hard to feel that the problem is one that needs a high-resolution or DSD-based solution, but that the hype has been going in the wrong direction. There are some high-end DACs that use their own filters via a DSP or FPGA with generic ES, Wolfson, CS or AK chips which are nicer-sounding, the processing of DSD results in a smoother, less "digital" sound which a lot of people like, as I understand it because it doesn't have to be processed, most of the time, through the relatively poor filters in most DACs. Then again we have the same thing with non-oversampling DACs, which many people are fans of for the same reasons. But NOS DACs and DSD have their own issues, the latter being of the huge space they take up and the arguably false benefits of using it in the first place. So the purpose of Rob's design is to overcome the original limitations of PCM without having to resort to using any special digital formats or taking up huge amounts of storage. 

Have a read of my Aurender Flow review on Part-Time Audiophile, or replace the Calyx M in my review of the Mojo with the Aurender Flow. Much the same deal, except the Flow to me would be most ideal with the mSATA drive storing music and iZotope-based up-sampling from a computer, or Onkyo HF player DSD up-sampling on an iPhone.

I tend to think the "warmth" gives a false impression of smaller soundstage, but it's a debatable point. [​IMG]

x RELIC x likes this.
  12. jazzfan

I encountered the same slow flashing condition when I was using a standard 1A iPhone charger. I asked Rob Watts about the condition and he said (and I'm paraphrasing) the slow flashing indicates the charger circuit time delay has been triggered and that the condition can be reset by plugging the charger USB in and out. He also said "The Apple charger barely manages 1A, and Mojo must have 1A to charge. Sometimes Apple chargers for iPhone do not have enough current, and you will then get flashing LED as not enough current triggers a fault too."

On this news, I decided to replace the standard 1A iPhone charger with this Anker 24W 2-Port (up to 2.4 amps per port) Apple iPhone Charger. I've not had any charging problems since.

Anker_Charger.jpg

13. joshk4

Thanks, yeah I will see which one allows output of 1A and check to see if the light flickers. But at least I know it is not just happening to me :)

14. Hawaiibadboy Contributor
  15. headwhacker

Not only AK players, it is the same behavior on my Macbook even with Apt-X enabled.

I measured the output at different loads (from 33 Ohms all the way to 600 Ohms. Mojo and Hugo has the exact same output. So yes they are the same. Goes to show how phenomenal the Mojo is considering it's size and the input option. Battery life is the only thing I see as the downside.

First

Back
457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466
468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477
Next

Last