Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 14, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #6,841 of 42,765
I've been doing more and more headphone listening over the last few months and had been 'making do' with my old CEntrance DACport (original) and DACport Slim, driving a pair of AKG K702s

The pending Xmas present of a pair of Audeze EL-8 OB phones had me think of something better and originally the Hugo caught my attention.

I say 'more' headphone listening because I'm a self-confessed hi-fi 'nut' with a silly home system which I've built of the years, but for various reason I don't get as much time with it as I'd like. Headphone listening is something I can enjoy even when I'm working however.

Chord Electronics have always been serious players in the hi-end audiophile world for both DACs and Amps, so when I realised they had turned they technical genius to the head-fi world, I was curious.  When I spotted the Mojo and realised they had come out with something genuinely affordable, I was in!

I bought it blind based just on my experiences of Chord's full-size amps and DACs, none of which I've owned for various (mostly cost) reasons, but I have occasionally borrowed.

The Mojo is everything I hoped and expected it to be given who designed and made it. It's technically brilliant, beautifully made and sounds amazing.

I'm using it as a desktop amp most of the time. It has so much guts and drive (the AKG 702s are not an easy load), it is perfectly suited for a home set-up, but the amazing thing is that it is also totally portable and allows you to take all the same quality and power wherever you want.

I simply can't say enough good things about it and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially as it makes some of the concerns about how much you have to spend on a DAP moot. I will find out shortly, but I'm reasonably confident that Mojo + Fiio X5 MkII will be every bit as capable and enjoyable as any of the Astell & Kern players, while leaving lots of cash in the bank.

Same thing with Hugo in my experience. Hugo + Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOnes was very very good.A dealer came to my house one time because I was on a verge of buying Stillpoints for my speakers and after listening to the MicroOnes and Tekton Lores, he didn't ask much about the speakers but asked what the DAC/AMP driving the speakers were. Ofcourse it was the Hugo!

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,842 of 42,765
I just read of a new phone being released in January 2016 which is claimed to have 15-day battery life. ......  Oukitel K1000 It runs android so could be an ideal file transport.

Priced about £150; 8pm camera.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #6,844 of 42,765
  I just read of a new phone being released in January 2016 which is claimed to have 15-day battery life. ......  Oukitel K1000 It runs android so could be an ideal file transport.

Priced about £150; 8pm camera.

Why would you need a 15 day battery to pair with Mojo when the Mojo has 10 hrs ? Also many Chinese phones do not support OTG.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #6,846 of 42,765
  I've been doing more and more headphone listening over the last few months and had been 'making do' with my old CEntrance DACport (original) and DACport Slim, driving a pair of AKG K702s

The pending Xmas present of a pair of Audeze EL-8 OB phones had me think of something better and originally the Hugo caught my attention.

I say 'more' headphone listening because I'm a self-confessed hi-fi 'nut' with a silly home system which I've built of the years, but for various reason I don't get as much time with it as I'd like. Headphone listening is something I can enjoy even when I'm working however.

Chord Electronics have always been serious players in the hi-end audiophile world for both DACs and Amps, so when I realised they had turned they technical genius to the head-fi world, I was curious.  When I spotted the Mojo and realised they had come out with something genuinely affordable, I was in!

I bought it blind based just on my experiences of Chord's full-size amps and DACs, none of which I've owned for various (mostly cost) reasons, but I have occasionally borrowed.

The Mojo is everything I hoped and expected it to be given who designed and made it. It's technically brilliant, beautifully made and sounds amazing.

I'm using it as a desktop amp most of the time. It has so much guts and drive (the AKG 702s are not an easy load), it is perfectly suited for a home set-up, but the amazing thing is that it is also totally portable and allows you to take all the same quality and power wherever you want.

I simply can't say enough good things about it and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially as it makes some of the concerns about how much you have to spend on a DAP moot. I will find out shortly, but I'm reasonably confident that Mojo + Fiio X5 MkII will be every bit as capable and enjoyable as any of the Astell & Kern players, while leaving lots of cash in the bank.

"but for various reason I don't get as much time with it as I'd like. Headphone listening is something I can enjoy even when I'm working however."

Welcome to the new normal :)

Glad you like it. As you use it more, you appreciate its flexibility, on the go, at home, with IEMs with hard to drive cans. And of course, with that SUPERB sound. 

Indispensible.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #6,847 of 42,765
Hello All,

Just a small doubt.

What's the difference between below two scenarios :

Mojo is having

1. Line Level out (3V)
2. Full volume

Sometimes i will use Mojo with my Genelec speakers.

So i want to know, will i hear any difference if i am not using Line OUT with Active speakers ?

Regards.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #6,848 of 42,765
Hello All,

Just a small doubt.

What's the difference between below two scenarios :

Mojo is having

1. Line Level out (3V)
2. Full volume

Sometimes i will use Mojo with my Genelec speakers.

So i want to know, will i hear any difference if i am not using Line OUT with Active speakers ?

Regards.

Only difference is the amount of voltage. Same circuit, same clean output. 'Line level' is nothing more than a shortcut to 3V on the Mojo. You aren't bypassing an amp in 'line level' mode as there is no seperate amp built in to the Mojo. It's output is the discrete variable analogue output from the DAC.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #6,849 of 42,765
Only difference is the amount of voltage. Same circuit, same clean output. 'Line level' is nothing more than a shortcut to 3V on the Mojo. You aren't bypassing an amp in 'line level' mode as there is no seperate amp built in to the Mojo. It's output is the discrete variable analogue output from the DAC.

Thanks for the reply.

So my doubt remains the same.

Mojo with Highest Volume output and Line level out, Both are same ?

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #6,851 of 42,765
Last night I have noticed the deep bass is getting tighter (not bloating like before) and the sound is more articulate and correlate. Again, the combination would be AK100mk2 > 2.2mm optical cable > Mojo > IE800.

Mine is AK100ii > Mojo > Angie.
It gives a slightly cleaner (there's that word again), more transparent sound than AK100ii > Angie alone.
Bought it based on the first Mojo review so the Angie will be driven better.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #6,853 of 42,765
Thanks for the reply.

So my doubt remains the same.

Mojo with Highest Volume output and Line level out, Both are same ?

Same signal path, different voltage. Highest volume is more voltage. Don't worry about double amping.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #6,854 of 42,765
Dec 15, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #6,855 of 42,765
I can recommend the new Earsonics sem9 with mojo - excellent sound
Just taken delivery of the Pioneer Dap so I'm hoping my portable headfi journey is now over for the forseeable!

+1 on that, this combo is pure bliss :)
The S-EM9 sing so well with the Mojo, spectacular dynamics, imaging and separation!
I am not sure I can justify keeping the ZX2 now (a bit expensive as a pure transport solution), and given the leap in SQ I am willing to take the Mojo on the go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back