Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #6,826 of 42,758
Shure KSE1500 challenger for the half money incl. source
normal_smile .gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #6,827 of 42,758
Fighting talk on the DAVE forumn

very good sign indeed.

So now we need a battle between the 3 pretenders for "Best DAC with a Headphone Out" :  NAGRA HD DAC, TotalDAC D1-Dual (or Mono) &  DAVE.  Who will win ? 

That depends on how one defines best - if best is defined as transparency and musicality then Dave will win easily. I am prepared to bet a brand new Dave against a bottle of Bollinger that Dave will win.

In fact that's way too easy a proposition. I will bet a brand new Mojo against a bottle of beer that Mojo will be more musical and transparent than those DAC's.

If anybody wants to challenge me on this, then PM me, but you will need to bring one of those DAC's (or any other reference class DAC's) to Carmarthen, Wales. Plus a bottle of beer and a bottle of Bollinger.

Rob

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #6,830 of 42,758
About a week in with the Mojo and the only word I can think of is clean, clean clean.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6,833 of 42,758
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #6,834 of 42,758
  If the player does not switch sample rate its fine. But I had this from Matt at Chord last night (he is production director and tests all our digital products with all OS):

"Of course it only happens when you first play a track or the sample rate changes and only happens if the track has been mastered with no lead in. Some devices fix sample rate so you don't get a problem. 

I don't know if you want to post this as I'm struggling to get this info out via other routes but on J River Media Center you can insert a configurable amount of silence at the beginning of the track in the settings menu. Now for people who prefer to use Foobar you can do the same thing but you need an additional component called affix silence which can be downloaded from this link. 

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_silence

You then just set the pre or post silence in ms. I tried with 500ms pre silence and 0ms post and it worked well."

Rob

Thank you very much! This looks like it. Hopefully someone soon will report back that they have done it. @Nitrile this is for you.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #6,835 of 42,758
It certainly seems like Apple is trying to make sure that phones and tablets don't replace computer sales.  Not only is it hard to get USB I/O, there is little help for I/O and files in general.  I'm sure they would argue back that's because iOS wasn't designed as a computer operating system and lacks the features and capabilities to be one.  Microsoft and others are forcing Apple to re-think the line between i-devices and computers.  We shouldn't need to be even discussing this in an age when our refrigerators and ovens have CPUs and are on-line.

I'm just happy there's any kind of work-around to Apple's intrasigence on this issue.  I half expect them to sue some seller of the "illicit" cables.  To be clear I own many iDevices and computers and am not anti-Apple, I just think they have missed the train on issues like this one.  They can also be very Draconian in shaping a world that profits only Apple--no doubt about that.

Apple has every right to do whatever they want to their products and we the owners who have paid for and purchased their products have the right to do whatever we want with them as once we purchase it it's our property. If we have the right to destroy it, we have the right to hack it. I understand your frustrations with apple, i've had to find work around for many things over the years and my next phone will be an android. I'm stil running snow leopard on my 7 year old 15" macbook pro for a reason-they're new OS's (yosemite, etc) are absolutely worthless. Snow leopard just plain works, i never have errors with anythign, my wifi never drops out and it's never slow. Snow leopard was the best OS they've ever made, it's the reason why I've replaced the battery, harddrive and other components over the year instead of getting a new macbook pro. Same with my phone, it's running 8.0 and never has an issue ever.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,837 of 42,758
Does anyone know where I can find a free DSD512 track?  Isn't DSD 512 the highest audio file possible? I'm curious and want to push my system to the limit, i'm sure differences won't be that audible just having fun.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #6,838 of 42,758
I've been doing more and more headphone listening over the last few months and had been 'making do' with my old CEntrance DACport (original) and DACport Slim, driving a pair of AKG K702s

The pending Xmas present of a pair of Audeze EL-8 OB phones had me think of something better and originally the Hugo caught my attention.

I say 'more' headphone listening because I'm a self-confessed hi-fi 'nut' with a silly home system which I've built of the years, but for various reason I don't get as much time with it as I'd like. Headphone listening is something I can enjoy even when I'm working however.

Chord Electronics have always been serious players in the hi-end audiophile world for both DACs and Amps, so when I realised they had turned they technical genius to the head-fi world, I was curious.  When I spotted the Mojo and realised they had come out with something genuinely affordable, I was in!

I bought it blind based just on my experiences of Chord's full-size amps and DACs, none of which I've owned for various (mostly cost) reasons, but I have occasionally borrowed.

The Mojo is everything I hoped and expected it to be given who designed and made it. It's technically brilliant, beautifully made and sounds amazing.

I'm using it as a desktop amp most of the time. It has so much guts and drive (the AKG 702s are not an easy load), it is perfectly suited for a home set-up, but the amazing thing is that it is also totally portable and allows you to take all the same quality and power wherever you want.

I simply can't say enough good things about it and would highly recommend it to anyone, especially as it makes some of the concerns about how much you have to spend on a DAP moot. I will find out shortly, but I'm reasonably confident that Mojo + Fiio X5 MkII will be every bit as capable and enjoyable as any of the Astell & Kern players, while leaving lots of cash in the bank.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,839 of 42,758
I had been using my iPhone 6S Plus and or Huawei G8 smartphones with Onkyo HF player and USB Audio Player pro apps respectively with the Chord Mojo. Now I'm using the iBasso DX80 optical out with Chord Mojo. The difference is frightening good.

The Mojo did things with my headphones and music not witnessed before. With the iBasso DX80 everything takes another leap forward.

Shouldn't matter what source you use and consensus is usb > optical.

Just found out something really cool, the adjustable ADEL modules for my 64 audio A12's will be out soon and I will be able to crank the bass as necessary with those so I won't have to EQ after all for rap/doom metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back