Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 11, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #6,691 of 42,758

I am stumbling with this but I think it can work on desktop.

The stumbling blocks for me are:
  1. It can make a noise when charging and playing. The nerenral impression that any charging noise is pretty quiet though. However if it is left in mostly plugged in it will not be charging much, thanks to a clever charging curcuit.
  2. It can cut out when charging and playing because it get hot and designed thermal cut outs are in place. However I have thought about fitting it with a small heatsink like from Maplin and thermal pads from ebay. I think it's also possible to take out the battery anyway. Thus it would only be drawing power to run the device in desktop mode.
  3. People have reported using some software to play music such as Foobar misses the first second of newly selected tracks. Consecutively playing tracks works perfect. A fix is that JRiver works perfectly. I have also suggested three other softwares for people to try. However no-one has reported trying them out for us yet. My suggestions are Media Go (preferences set to ASIO), dBpoweramp, and Exact Audio Copy.

1. No noise of any kind out of mine. Just make sure you have a good quality USB power supply and USB cable.
  2. I've had mine playing while charging for at least 3 hrs and while it does get warm to the touch it has not tripped out, but I would imagine that can vary based on where you live and its not summer here in UK. Somewhere like Greece in summer when it gets to 47C will likely be having issues as ambient is critical for the heat dissipation through the Aluminium case.
  3. I use JRiver MC21 and works perfectly with the Chord driver on a Windows 10 machine. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,692 of 42,758

1. It can make a noise when charging and playing. The nerenral impression that any charging noise is pretty quiet though. However if it is left in mostly plugged in it will not be charging much, thanks to a clever charging curcuit.
  2. It can cut out when charging and playing because it get hot and designed thermal cut outs are in place. However I have thought about fitting it with a small heatsink like from Maplin and thermal pads from ebay. I think it's also possible to take out the battery anyway. Thus it would only be drawing power to run the device in desktop mode.
  3. People have reported using some software to play music such as Foobar misses the first second of newly selected tracks. Consecutively playing tracks works perfect. A fix is that JRiver works perfectly. I have also suggested three other softwares for people to try. However no-one has reported trying them out for us yet. My suggestions are Media Go (preferences set to ASIO), dBpoweramp, and Exact Audio Copy.

The first two do seem like problems to me

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #6,693 of 42,758

The first two do seem like problems to me

See my comments above, but unless your playing more than 8-10hrs solid you could always put the Mojo on a Timer control so it tops up its charge over night when not being used to avoid playing & charging at the same time. Segment timers can be bought for under £5.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #6,694 of 42,758

No problems with wasapi?

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6,695 of 42,758

No problems with wasapi?

Chord driver shows as Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-768kHz but in JRiver I can select two:

Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-768kHz [WASAPI]
ASIO Chord 1.05 [ASIO]

Plays identical with both to my ears

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #6,696 of 42,758

Chord driver shows as Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-768kHz but in JRiver I can select two:

Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-768kHz [WASAPI]
ASIO Chord 1.05 [ASIO]

Plays identical with both to my ears

I have problems with both skipping the first second of files in foobar with the mojo.
Works fine on my other DAC.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #6,697 of 42,758
  I have problems with both skipping the first second of files in foobar with the mojo.
Works fine on my other DAC.

Please try Media Go (preferences > output set to ASIO), dBpoweramp, and Exact Audio Copy then, and please tell us. They are all free.

No problems with wasapi?

I don't know. It is meant to work with Windows devices, but I don't know enough to advise. Plus I have not tried the Mojo.

It might help you dicide if I post Mr Rob Watts explanation of the charging circuit here. This is a direct quotation and can be found earlier in the thread, (currently post 4596):

"Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge."

------

In other words as long as the battery is full it will not engage the charging curcuit. If the battery level drops a little it will charge for a while when kept plugged in, on desktop.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #6,698 of 42,758

Yes, charger is important and needs a minimum of 1A (2A ones better) but also the USB cable can cause problems. I used a longer generic USB cable and got the flashing white even though I was on a good quality Samsung 2A charger.

Yep, the cable is important. I like the Anker cables as well, both for Lightning and Micro USB cables. Cheers 

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #6,699 of 42,758
  Please try Media Go (preferences > output set to ASIO), dBpoweramp, and Exact Audio Copy then, and please tell us. They are all free.

I don't know. It is meant to work with windows devices, but I don't know enough to advise. Plus I have not tried the Mojo.

It might help you dicide if I post Mr Rob Watts explanation of the charging circuit here. This is a direct quotation,

"Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge."

------

In other words as long as the battery is full it will not engage the charging curcuit. It the battery level drops a little it will charge for a while, when kept plugged in, on desktop.

I can't seem to choose ASIO in Media Go. I can't find a free version of dbpoweramp and Exact Audio Copy isn't really a dedicated media player.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #6,700 of 42,758
Had my mojo for the week and so far have resisted posting any thoughts as I was waiting for my faves the Ultrasone Signature DJ's to come back from Moon Audio. I had been using them balanced through Cypher Labs theorem and duet/-db. While I was waiting I was using a pair of old Grado RS-1's. I was afraid switching to single-ended was going to make the sound tepid but boy was I wrong!:)

My favorite adjective for the mojo right now is "assertive" !

Damn.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #6,701 of 42,758
@salla45, thanks for the reply. i think the mojo's real potential comes out through higher impedance headphones. it should sound more tight, more controlled and more dynamic too with such headphones. distortion too will be the least. higher impedance also will help to avoid too much digital attenuation. but that does not mean mojo performs lesser with low impedance iems or cans.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6,702 of 42,758
  I can't seem to choose ASIO in Media Go. I can't find a free version of dbpoweramp and Exact Audio Copy isn't really a dedicated media player.

Thank you for trying. I heard of dBpoweramp and Exact Audio copy as FLAC rippers. However I thought they played too. I tried Exact Audio Copy only to the point of installing, and saw play function. Anyway never mind that, but thank you very much for trying for us. I was led to believe the beauty of those FLAC rippers is they produce error free rips.

With regard to selecting ASIO in Media Go, please follow:
Media Go > Tools > Preferences > *under* Audio Output > *we can select* ASIO Device.

Best of luck and I hope it fixes the one second of music missing. Again please let us know if you get a result either way.

(NB I use Media Go every day as my desktop player with the Meridian Explorer. It's faultless really for me in this setup.)

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #6,703 of 42,758

Thank you for trying. I heard of dBpoweramp and Exact Audio copy as FLAC rippers. However I thought they played too. I tried Exact Audio Copy only to the point of installing, and saw play function. Anyway never mind that, but thank you very much for trying for us. I was led to believe the beauty of those FLAC rippers is they produce error free rips.

With regard to selecting ASIO in Media Go, please follow:
Media Go > Tools > Preferences > *under* Audio Output > *we can select* ASIO Device.

Best of luck and I hope it fixes the one second of music missing. Again please let us know if you get a result either way.

(NB I use Media Go every day as my desktop player with the Meridian Explorer. It's faultless really for me in this setup.)

It says no ASIO devices available for me. :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #6,704 of 42,758
@Nitrile

That's really great that you tried and told us. I am so sorry. Such a sad shame about the result. If I come across any more players I will mention them. I have read the whole thread and I can't recall what people said using iTunes at desktop as a player by the way.

Once again thank you Nitrile.

@yoyrast10 + everyone,
By the way on more note about desktop charging, playing, and cutting  out due to threaml limits. I think the idea of a heatsink is really quite viable. If you only intend to move the Mojo about the home anyway.

Something like this at 88mm with Mojo at 80mm long is possible.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/50mm-heatsink-for-to3-to66-sot9-rn76h

Then a thermal pad from ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phobya-Thermal-Pad-XT-7W-mk-1mm-120x20mm-/331720195299?hash=item4d3c107ce3:m:mCZRO0HTJ1VuA3dvBbisHHw

A couple of rubber straps around the device to hold it together, and voila. (I mean I recall Mojo Ideas, Mr John Franks saying the Mojo loses heat into your hand, from touching it.)

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #6,705 of 42,758
Not sure how prevalent the thermal cut-out issue is and therefore the necessity of adding the heat-sinks. I've listened to mine many times for long periods while plugged in and never had an issue. It gets warm IME but not hot. My ALO CDM gets hot, but that's what it is designed to do. Might want to check and see how yours works and if you have any issues before you go to all the trouble of pimping it out with the heat-sinks. Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back