Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #6,466 of 42,765
  iOS 9.2 has just been released. Wondering if any brave souls out there using the Lavricable have upgraded. If it is working with 9.2, Konstantin will get another order!!

I ordered the cable from Lavri as well but I use the Ipod Touch. I just read an article that said the official camera connector which I'm using now combined with Moon Audio Black dragon connector shouldn't be working on 9.1 but it is 90% of the time. I hope Lavri will work on 9.2.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6,467 of 42,765

Chord are not a 'fly-by-night' company.

As has already been discussed in this thread, if there are any legitimate production issues, Chord and their dealers will take very good care of you; rest assured of that.

Given the good reviews Chord as a company gets, I'm in no doubt of good customer service for legitimate issues. The part what makes a problem legitimate or not is the cause for uncertainty. One Chord official at first states (paraphrasing) "this is a problem, we'll fix it", and an other official later on states (paraphrasing) "nothing we can do about".

Everyone ehise had a problem has been taken care of. The inventors were in this thread telling people to send them back and that the company would take care of it.

Not everyone. As of a few pages back members reported of having the issue.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #6,468 of 42,765

Chord are not a 'fly-by-night' company.

As has already been discussed in this thread, if there are any legitimate production issues, Chord and their dealers will take very good care of you; rest assured of that.

Given the good reviews Chord as a company gets, I'm in no doubt of good customer service for legitimate issues. The part what makes a problem legitimate or not is the cause for uncertainty. One Chord official at first states (paraphrasing) "this is a problem, we'll fix it", and an other official later on states (paraphrasing) "nothing we can do about".

Are you referring to a noise emerging from the Mojo casework, or a noise emerging from the Mojo that is audible as part of the electrical audio signal being transmitted to the IEMs/Cans?

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #6,469 of 42,765

Are you referring to a noise emerging from the Mojo casework, or a noise emerging from the Mojo that is audible as part of the electrical audio signal being transmitted to the IEMs/Cans?

The former. Unless I'm missing something, I don't believe people in recent posts are stating that the coil whine during charging also interferes with their music.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #6,470 of 42,765

The former. Unless I'm missing something, I don't believe people in recent posts are stating that the coil whine during charging also interferes with their music.

I intend to permanently fix a battery bank onto the Mojo to increase its mobility, so that does sound quite concerning.

OK, but can you explain what your concerns about charging noise have to do with using a battery bank? Rob was referring to poorly-regulated mains USB power supplies:

The mechanical buzz is due to the USB charger being noisy. This noise modulates the PSU inductors, which creates the noise. The level of mechanical noise depends upon the PSU. If you use a lap top USB the sound should disappear as these power supplies are electrically quiet.

It is not a faulty Mojo as we can't stop the noise from the USB.

Rob

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #6,472 of 42,765
iOS 9.2 has just been released. Wondering if any brave souls out there using the Lavricable have upgraded. If it is working with 9.2, Konstantin will get another order!!

Well, ironically, the Apple USB Camera adapter (AKA CCK cable) only worked on iPads according to Apple's own technical specs:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=85

With the release of iOS 9.2, now iOS officially supports iPhone 5 on up with the CCK cable. We take all of this with a grain of salt however because this adapter was only intended to import pictures from cameras into iPads. Whether the DAC support was pure coincidence or a hidden feature, we will never know. If you ask any Apple support person "Does Apple iOS support external DACs?" You will likely get a response like "DAC what??"

So what does all this mean? Who knows, but it's possible that some of the folks having trouble with CCK working on their phones, may have that resolved with 9.2 update. Please note, I am not recommending anything and have gone as far as swapping phones to Android so I don't have to worry about this anymore. I am just quoting official Apple specs.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #6,473 of 42,765

Yes, iOS 9.2 does work with the Lavricable. I tested on my iPhone before i was going to update my iPod Touch.

One, interesting note is when I connected the Lavricable I received a message that stated that Apple cannot guarantee the reliability of the external cable but then it connected.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,474 of 42,765
  If you ask any Apple support person "Does Apple iOS support external DACs?" You will likely get a response like "DAC what??"

Hmmmm...

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-first-post-for-updated-info/4155#post_12055762

popcorn.gif

wink.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #6,476 of 42,765
Yes, iOS 9.2 does work with the Lavricable. I tested on my iPhone before i was going to update my iPod Touch.

One, interesting note is when I connected the Lavricable I received a message that stated that Apple cannot guarantee the reliability of the external cable but then it connected.

Great news! I just purchased one from Lavricables. Whew! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #6,477 of 42,765

OK, but can you explain what your concerns about charging noise have to do with using a battery bank? Rob was referring to poorly-regulated mains USB power supplies:

But John E. Franks said " it's due to a regulator issue on some early units" (see other link), meaning it is not a PSU problem, but a problem on the unit itself. The fact that many customers have said that some units exhibit coil whine during charging, and other units don't, testifies that it is a problem on the unit. That's why I'm surprised that later on a different Chord official makes a statement that contradicts the words of earlier official words.

I also need to add to that, that despite Franks refers to the problem only being on "some early units", it is apparently still prevalent on current units, as the recent postings of product owners testify.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #6,479 of 42,765
But John E. Franks said " it's due to a regulator issue on some early units" (see other link), meaning it is not a PSU problem, but a problem on the unit itself. The fact that many customers have said that some units exhibit coil whine during charging, and other units don't, testifies that it is a problem on the unit. That's why I'm surprised that later on a different Chord official makes a statement that contradicts the words of earlier official words.

I also need to add to that, that despite Franks refers to the problem only being on "some early units", it is apparently still prevalent on current units, as the recent postings of product owners testify.

On some early units was a SSSHHHHHHH like waterfall hiss that comes through the IEM / headphone which is also audible externally when the ear is placed to the unit. It's very noticeable and the exact same sound as through the cable. If there was no input plugged in (USB, coaxial) there was no noise externally or through the IEM / headphone. The same noise was not present when charging, only with USB or coaxial plugged in. That's the noise that had the major issue. The minor sqeek or coil noise or whatever when charging is what Chord is saying is a non-issue and related to the power source according to Chord. You may be getting the two things mixed up.

In the end buy it if you want one and if there is an issue return it to your local dealer.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,480 of 42,765

On some early units was a SSSHHHHHHH like waterfall hiss that comes through the IEM / headphone which is also audible externally when the ear is placed to the unit. It's very noticeable and the exact same sound as through the cable. If there was no input plugged in (USB, coaxial) there was no noise externally or through the IEM / headphone. The same noise was not present when charging, only with USB or coaxial plugged in. That's the noise that had the major issue. The minor sqeek or coil noise or whatever when charging is what Chord is saying is a non-issue and related to the power source according to Chord. You may be getting the two things mixed up.

In the end buy it if you want one and if there is an issue return it to your local dealer.

My original Mojo (serial M0202XX) had the white noise issue so I had it replaced to a new one (serial M0208XX) which resolved the problem completely.

Both models have the charging whine (not from the headphones but the unit itself making a whine), so it's probably not related to the production batch.
Anyhow, the charging whine only occurs if I use a high current charger, whereas it makes no whine on standard 1A charger, so I'm not too concerned.

According to my USB current meter, Mojo only draws less than 1A during charging, so it's a bit pointless to use the high current charger anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back