Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,851 of 42,765
My review of a quality USB cable that i'm using with great success with the Mojo can be found here;

http://www.head-fi.org/products/qed-reference-usb/reviews/14610

Has taken it to a new level, I continue to be amazed by the Mojo and now even more impressed that i've managed to squeeze even more performance out of it with a simple cable upgrade. Usb is certainly the way to go at the moment, planning to test a higher quality optical cable next as i've been frustrated by the difference between USB and optical to date.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,852 of 42,765
IEM's do not require much volume...I find myself dark red to a bit louder for my LCD-3F and most often dark red for my Ethers with some low volume recordings requiring a bit higher.....I guess i do not listen very loud because others seem to crank it up so much louder

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #5,857 of 42,765
After reading a previous post about how optical sounds smoother compared to USB I decided to give it a shot and I have to say I'm surprised. Very liquid and easy to listen to. Maybe not as detailed, but very enjoyable. I've tried it two ways. First with the optical out of my Mac. At work I used a DAC from HiFimeDIY to convert the audio to an optical out to feed the Mojo. This works as the DAC doesn't require any drivers. I'm even finding low quality MP3s easy to listen to. Now if only the iPhone had an optical out like the Macs.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #5,862 of 42,765
There is always the first time they say. I would like to thank Levi aka Musicday for this opportunity and without further ado:

Chord Mojo arrived in small box, but true surprise came after unpacking. My first thought was “Wow it is really small” then second, after I picked it up: “uhu but that bugger is heavy”.
No, of course it is not but unit's weight cannot be anticipated by its looks.
Mojo is “wearing full metal jacket”  and coming straight out of box felt really cold, as it turned out that changed very quickly – but more about it after brief introduction of my ”testing rig”  and “methodology”.

PC > optical > Foobar > WASAPI (Event) > NuForce HDP > NVA AP20 >
- Hifiman HE-6
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm
- Superlux HD681 EVO (second gen. with velour pads)
Moto G (1st Gen) > USB OTG > Fiio E7 (non K) >
- Audio-Technica ATH-CKX9IS
- Koss PortaPRO

Tracks used for testing are my trusted*:
The Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears –  96kHz/24bit version
HDtracks 2014 Sampler
and HDtracks 2015 Sampler

About Chord Mojo:
I’m not going to list the whole spec here. It is available from Chords’s web site and other places online. My subjective impressions and the DAC's major features include...

-          Mojo Plays all files from 32kHz to 768kHz up to 32bit
-          Native DSD up to quad 256
-          Li-Po battery lasts up to 10h

Setting things up:
Mojo + Moto G – everything just works, connect one with another using OTG USB cable and you ready to roll. Perfect couple. (btw for some reason Mojo as well as Fiio E7 are not detected by Moto G 3rd Gen while NuForce HDP works well with both phones)
Mojo + PC
Also very simple just download driver, install, reboot, connect Mojo with usb or coaxial cable and job done. In Foobar you need to set output, preferably to “DSD: ASIO: Chord” – it will play all supported files or you can set it as “WASAPI (event): Chord” but that setting will not let you play DSD natively and you will be limited to PCM output mode.

Let’s begin with Mojo as a portable DAC/amp
My first source was Moto G with Poweramp player app. I Started with Audio-Technica ATH-CKX9IS my trusted go to portables. First track I played a jazz version of Pink Floyd “Money” by Sam Yahel, Mike Moreno, Ari Hoenig, Seamus Blake from “Open Your Ears” album and first surprise, I always thought that bass is a bit muffed on those headphones but with Mojo bass was clearer and more punchy and somehow more pleasing and less coloured – and it is not very bassy track. So quick swap to Fiio E7 and I was welcomed by familiar slightly muffed warmer bass. Couple of next tracks only confirmed that Mojo is in completely different league. It should be expected, after all Mojo is around 6 times more expensive than E7 when new plus has 5 years of technological advance, nevertheless the way Mojo transformed my humble  Audio-Technica came as a huge surprise.

Those days there is one app I use a lot  on the go: is Radio Paradise App – it allows you to listen to radio - streaming in AAC 320 – I took Mojo for a walk and spent a very pleasant hour – Mojo did an excellent job with all those lossy tracks. I also took with me Koss PortaPro unfortunately day was a bit windy and  PortaPros don’t offer much of a isolation I only listen to one or two tracks – so not much to report here.
I was really impressed with how my Audio-Technica changed plugged to Mojo that I really didn't want to go back home.

Next test – Mojo vs NuForce HDP
NuForce is a desktop DAC/amp and even if equipped with a third party battery is not really portable therefore I swapped the source and plugged both DACs to PC using USB. I also picked up Beyerdynamic DT 990. DT 990’s were my go to headphones for a long time even when I owed Stax SR-404 – A bit too far on a bright side but overall very good headphones. Couple of tracks into testing session and I liked them even more on Mojo. More spacious sound stage, a notch punchier but less harsh tremble. Bass on level with NuForce maybe a bit more precise. Two tracks stranded out both completely different but effect similar “Allegro from Symphony No. 6 in G minor” and “Fireopal (Acoustic Version)” Mojo just simply takes you there.
After DT990 time came for another cheapos – this time a bit of underdog Superlux HD681 EVO
Again Mojo transformed those headphones– it somewhat took all what’s good about them but didn't put any emphasis on their shortcomings. Superlux are fun sounding headphones even more fun with Mojo with addition of healthy dose of clarity. That pair really shine on all those bass filled tracks.

Last test took me the longest time and with a surprising outcome.
I left universe of dynamic and entered the plane of plenars. Where to me there is only one King and his name is Hifiman HE-6
Both Nuforce and Mojo has no chance to drive those monsters so I could only compare their DAC sections.
Both DACs were plugged via USB and connected  to my Amp of choice NVA AP20**. 
I listened to all test tracks front to back, swapping DACs and something started to occur to me. Mojo with transparent amp and very precise, fast and reviling HE-6’s was just too much, There was too much micro details, everything sounded just a notch too sharp for my liking – yes sound stage was wider and deeper and you could pinpoint everything in that space but things started to be too separated, instruments didn’t blend in as intended, things become a bit dry, voices lost a touch of realism.
I added many more tracks to compression – from Infected Mushroom – “The Messenger 2012” and Iron Maiden – “The Number Of The Beast” to Dave Matthews – “Stay Or Leave” and Dead Can Dance – “The Host Of Seraphim”. From Red Book to Hi-Res and vinyl rips, all  with same outcome.

Another thing to mention is that Mojo and HE-6s were truly ruthless with bad recordings – no fun to listen to at all – I found that I started to lose the joy of listening to music – instead I started to focus too much on distractions.

Above description sound much worst that the reality – all of it took me 3 days to put into words – Mojo has a really exceptional DAC section It just doesn't work well with HE-6s unless you like details in your face and sound stage neatly separated with scalpel.

Short conclusion:
Let’s kick off with “giant killer” statement – Simple answer is: I don’t know! Never owned any giant DAC or a headphone amp. All of my gear is rather small.

I believe that Mojo is a very good at what it is intended to be used as – a portable DAC/amp – works very well with small and big dynamic headphones, also helps cheaper headphones punch above their weight. Even though is clearly made to shine with Hi-Res or Ultra Hi-Res – does really good job with lossy recordings.
A bit pricy but it is Chord after all. 

What's good:
- Small size and really well made product with very good finish.
- Does everything as advertise and does it flawlessly.
- Sound quality! 

Noted Flaws:
- It is scary how warm/hot Mojo becomes when in use during charging – test unit arrived completely drained and I almost dropped it when I picked it up after initial 15 minutes of use while charging it.
It should be mentioned that Chord recommend charging with Mojo switched off. For safety Mojo has inbuilt thermal cut-out (sic!)
- From manual “for line level mode (3V) press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit”. Mojo will not remember that setting after power down but will remember other settings like volume level. In my book it just renders Mojo useless in stationary rig. Chord clearly don’t want to cannibalise its Hugo and Hugo TT – I don’t see any other reason for 2 headphone outputs instead of replacing one with dedicated line out.
- Volume control – there is something very unnatural and awkward about those two volume balls.
I understand that some people actually do like it but I am not one of them

Disclaimer:
I am strong believer in A/B testing therefore all comparison was made with gear at hand –  no references or comparing  to any other gear I have owned or listened to for longer periods. I know it is non - standard practice but I also know how biased (flawed) memory can be – especially mine.

*- I am using those tracks for couple of reason: firstly “Samplers” are very good quality and allow to test across many types of music plus can be download for free. “Open Your Ears” is very reasonably priced and was put together as a testing album. I know them quite well and used often to compare gear. There is also one more thing – I don’t particularly like any of those songs so there is no emotional attachment – which I found helps a lot if I want to stay as objective as possible.  
**- I listened to a number of amps with HE-6s, dedicated as well as vintage and new speaker amps and even though some were better in one way or the other, overall NVA always came on top. (with Dillan’s “dill3000” monster amp coming close but there is a huge price difference)

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #5,863 of 42,765
@Ithilstone About this part of your post:

Noted Flaws:
- It is scary how warm/hot Mojo becomes when in use during charging – test unit arrived completely drained and I almost dropped it when I picked it up after initial 15 minutes of use while charging it.
It should be mentioned that Chord is advising against charging and using it at the same time. For safety it has inbuilt thermal cut-out (sic!)

Please where have you read that Chord advise against charging and playing at the same time?

I read the following on the Chord website:-

Can I play and charge Mojo at the same time?

Sure you can, just remember that Mojo will get hot to touch if you play and charge.

I read this in the Chord Mojo Manual:-
We recommend charging with Mojo switched off.
Charging with Mojo switched on and playing is possible, but the time taken to fully charge will be
considerably longer

It is normal for Mojo to become warm when charging especially if switched on and playing at the same
time.

The manual implies that the time of charging is the issue when playing and charging together. The implication applied about temperature when charging doesn't state the level of heat is the issue. It states technically that it is especially likely to become warm when charging and playing. Not that it's likely to become especially warm.

As far as I know many people are using it as a desktop DAC. In which situation once the battery is fully charged, power to the battery is stopped, (until required again).

I think if it were the case that Chord advise against charging and playing it might likely change the practicality. It would be a deciding factor to some.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #5,864 of 42,765
Hi there - yes it might be over simplification on my side but if somebody recommend charging with item being switch off there is a reason for that. From my understanding it only has something to do with thermal cut out - From Chord FAQ 

My Mojo is warm, why is it not working?

Mojo has an inbuilt thermal cutout for your safety. If Mojos internal temperature exceeds safe levels then the unit will not function. Please leave Mojo to cool, ideally somewhere out of direct sunlight, for up to ten minutes and try again.

I will change that bit anyway in my review - to make it clearer
Thanx for pointing it out 

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5,865 of 42,765
  Hi there - yes it might be over simplification on my side but if somebody recommend charging with item being switch off there is a reason for that. From my understanding it only has something to do with thermal cut out - From Chord FAQ 

My Mojo is warm, why is it not working?

Mojo has an inbuilt thermal cutout for your safety. If Mojos internal temperature exceeds safe levels then the unit will not function. Please leave Mojo to cool, ideally somewhere out of direct sunlight, for up to ten minutes and try again.

I will change that bit anyway in my review - to make it clearer
Thanx for pointing it out 

Yep. Thank you for replying. I was hoping that was the case. Meaning I was hoping there wasn't a red line from Chord otherwise. I think it would be a deciding factor for me of purchase.

The thremal cut-out is a little unnerving because I wondered if it might become a persitent issue in summer. However someone, a user assured me that would not be the case.

I was just a moment ago having images in my head about fitting a heatink to the Mojo, when on dektop. No reason why not though. A little fan would be cool too; (pun). I mean some people have valve amps with all sorts of glass hardware sitting on top. (Glass which is a danger zone in my opinion, and an accident waiting to happen.)

I would honestly be distraught though if the Mojo was regularly cutting out in summer. I need something plugged into my computer permanently. I like the Mojo having the ability to be turned off too. I have an issue with my meridian Explorer since it is on whenever the computer is.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back