Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 12, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4,891 of 42,765
did you try Mojo out to SE input of the Intruder to balanced out to your SE846?

I just tried with the F-35 Lightning which is my my opinion a better amp than the Intruder but with the DAC the Intruder surpasses the Lightning. Anyway, adding the Lightning muddied the output from the Mojo and the soundstage got a bit smaller.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #4,892 of 42,765
I just tried with the F-35 Lightning which is my my opinion a better amp than the Intruder but with the DAC the Intruder surpasses the Lightning. Anyway, adding the Lightning muddied the output from the Mojo and the soundstage got a bit smaller.

I've not heard the lightning, and am only just into my third hour with the Mojo but, so far, I'd say that the Mojo feeding SE846 is ahead of my Intruder (same sources, using them both as DAC/Amps).  A grander sense of space, air and detail from the Mojo without it giving anything up elsewhere (I expected the RSA to beat the Mojo in the lower registers, but it hasn't so far).

Very early impressions though ...

At some point this week I'll post thoughts on the Mojo vs. my ALO Int+ OE and RSA Intruder with various cans (SE846, LCD-2.2c, HE-500 etc.) ... so far I'm very impressed.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,893 of 42,765
HI,

Does anyone know a way to cut and paste from usbaudio pro's now playing screen? 

I'm using a 1TB pocket drive attached to a verbatim media share which is wifi connected to my S3 phone, mojo and RS-1s. 

The sound is fantastic through the mojo and having 1TB of portable  audio is quite exciting! (yes I need a life!!)  However I can only play a track at a time because I call usbaudio pro from verbatim's media share application. It appears in usbaudio pro as a network address like http://10.10.10.254:80/data/usbdisk2/volumr1/hirestest%20testtrack%20 (maybe some other stuff in the address to but I cant see it).

It seems to me that if I can copy that address I may be able to create a folder & network playlist and play full albums.

I've not seen wifi shares mentioned on here so maybe no one uses them yet but if there is anyone out there doing this then I'd be really grateful for any setup advice.

Thanks

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #4,894 of 42,765
Right now ...

AK120 > Mojo > HE-500 playing Enigma's MCMXC a.D. (listening to this one a lot lately; odd - haven't in years) ... at 16/44.1 ... clueless as to how something this tiny is driving these headphones so eloquently and with so much impact.

Time to swap cables on my Audeze's and see how it works there ...

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #4,895 of 42,765

I've not heard the lightning, and am only just into my third hour with the Mojo but, so far, I'd say that the Mojo feeding SE846 is ahead of my Intruder (same sources, using them both as DAC/Amps).  A grander sense of space, air and detail from the Mojo without it giving anything up elsewhere (I expected the RSA to beat the Mojo in the lower registers, but it hasn't so far).

Very early impressions though ...

At some point this week I'll post thoughts on the Mojo vs. my ALO Int+ OE and RSA Intruder with various cans (SE846, LCD-2.2c, HE-500 etc.) ... so far I'm very impressed.

Hey Torq!

I'm curious on the ALO comparison. I have the ALO International non-optical and wondering how much of an improvement the Mojo is.

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #4,896 of 42,765
Right now ...

AK120 > Mojo > HE-500 playing Enigma's MCMXC a.D. (listening to this one a lot lately; odd - haven't in years) ... at 16/44.1 ... clueless as to how something this tiny is driving these headphones so eloquently and with so much impact.

Time to swap cables on my Audeze's and see how it works there ...

Ha, I listen to MCMXC a.D. Quite often. It's a fun album to get lost in.

:beerchug:

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #4,897 of 42,765
its looking a killer portable Dac/AMP but i still didnt see serious comprasions and how it stacks against serious contenders ray samuels sr71, ALO  Continental Dual Mono, cypher labs solo doet therom 720, triad l3 and on...

The SQ of Mojo is much better with more body and musical than the Theorem 720 alone (or even pairing with ALO mk3B) IMO.

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4,898 of 42,765
Ha, I listen to MCMXC a.D. Quite often. It's a fun album to get lost in.

beerchug.gif

x2

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4,899 of 42,765
Thank you for replying, even if what I say might not match what you say.

I think that What Hi-Fi will come in for a lot of flack. However they have never let me down with anything I have bought on their opinion; ever. I always read other reviewers though..

What Hi-Fi like the Mojo too (and say it bests the Audiolab M-DAC). Everyone else seems to agree with their opinion of the Mojo, like it's close to the Hugo. Or that it organises music brilliantly.

Sad to hear you say that about the AK Jr. I had some hopes pinned on it. I think I need to read others opinions though. (Maybe the one you heard was not run-in. I know that sounds like an excuse. However I heard my Meridian Explorer before it was run-in.)

The Mojo for me is initially desktop listening. As far as owning a portable music player my thoughts are different. I used to listen to my iPod Shuffle on its original iPod ear-phones. The old earphones, meaning the ones everyone hated. Yet for being about and about it was just nice to have music and quality didn't matter. I would often let the same album play in a loop. Therefor to me ultra Mojo quality on-the-go is not a priority. It is just an option.

I do think though that I want to keep the Mojo. I am also sure that I replace my Merdian Explorer that even with my Grado SR225e I will be amazed.

They named Arcam FMJ A19 as amp of the year for 2 years in a row. It was one of the mediocre sounding amp I've ever heard. They also named Yamaha soundbar as the best sounding soundbar and gave Sonos soundbar I think 3.5 stars out of 5 or seomthing. Sonos sounded better than the yamaha in every way... I started trusting their reviews after Hugo and Arcam irdac rating, but after yamaha soundbar return, I realize you really need to hear stuff yourself and never believe a review 100%

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #4,900 of 42,765
This thread is going to fast for me to follow every single post. However it was my Mojo used at the DC meet. I did not actually listen to it (or have chance to listen to much of anything) during the meet. But I certainly still have all the parts used:

Marantz SA8260 > Optical Cable (something by Monster Cable bought many years ago at a BestBuy, whatever $40 would get) > Mojo

I do not know what IEM were used when listening at my station.
You might want to ask @yage
what setup he used. He borrowed the Mojo and listened to it as well at his station.

edit:nevermind.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #4,902 of 42,765
I was reading your Mojo review and saw that you found the Mojo in some ways different, comparable and in some ways better depending on preference to the Dac-19 (10th).
I was also reading a review by Stillhart in the Cavali Liquid Carbon thread comparing the Dac-19 and Gumby (schiit gungnir multibit dac) and according to him it came down to preference but really close.

So taking these two review together, I'm extrapolating and drawing some general conclusions that the Mojo is superior to the Bimby (Bifrost Multibit, which I have) and very close to the Gumby if not superior (also realizing that it's also a preference thing).

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #4,903 of 42,765
I would just like to be 100% clear:

1. I own and like the Chord Mojo - immensely!
  2. I have used, on my own, the same optical cable - both for the Chord Mojo and for other purpose such as to A/B between DAC.

I do not think it wrong for people to listen to the Mojo and dislike what they hear. This happened during the DC meet. And it made me reflect back on my initial listening to the Mojo. I thought it sounded odd. Then I thought it sounded wonderful. My brain did not take a long time to adjust - from the odd to the wonderful.

I do not think the Chord Mojo that I own is flawed. I do not think the setup I used at the meet was in anyway flawed. I simply think there will be people who do not care for the sound of the Mojo. And I also think that is okay. I will in no way think negatively of these people - in fact, I value their sound advice more in that they are particular in their opinions. It also in no way alters my opinion of the Mojo, and its wonderful (in my opinion) sound.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #4,904 of 42,765
Oh dear ...

I'm having way too much fun this evening ... almost total self-indulgence.

Music selections for the rest of the night ... Evanescence, Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Jean-Michel Jarre.

A glass (for now) of The McCallan ME and then a hint of German engineering ...

Three DAC/Amps, three sets of headphones (done with the AKGs for tonight), and the AK120 for variety.

Now ... as long as Ms. Krall doesn't start serenading me I might make it through to morning with just a little sleep ...

Which is a very long winded, and badly punctuated, way of saying ... "I am really digging this Mojo so far!"

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #4,905 of 42,765

I was reading your Mojo review and saw that you found the Mojo in some ways different, comparable and in some ways better depending on preference to the Dac-19 (10th).
I was also reading a review by Stillhart in the Cavali Liquid Carbon thread comparing the Dac-19 and Gumby (schiit gungnir multibit dac) and according to him it came down to preference but really close.

So taking these two review together, I'm extrapolating and drawing some general conclusions that the Mojo is superior to the Bimby (Bifrost Multibit, which I have) and very close to the Gumby if not superior (also realizing that it's also a preference thing).

I haven't hear the Bimby or Gumby but from owning the DAC-19 and directly comparing it to the Mojo I would say they are both exceptional in regard to timing and clarity. The Mojo seems to show a little more detail and is slightly clinical in the way that it is easier to hear the details in the recording. The DAC-19 is slightly more spacious and has a little more of a wide room feeling to it. I can get a sense of space easier with the DAC-19. Again, for the job of digging in to the recording and reproducing the detail both units are very good. Of course this is how I'm hearing it on my setup so YMMV. Stillhart was saying he has a preference for the DAC-19 because he didn't like the more forward (bright) sound of the Gumby. Connecting the dots I would say you would be close in your conclusion. Not hearing the Schiit gear I can't guarantee that statement though.

As I wrote in my review Rob was fairly clear that he thought the Mojo was every bit as good as the Hugo but it's tuned slightly smoother for its intended purpose. Some may find that a negative and some may prefer it. I guess it all comes down to preference. I just find the technicalities of the Mojo to be far better than I would have guessed given its price, and I was really groovin' on the sound it produces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back